Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow Cookers
03-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Slow Cookers

I dont know if anyone can help me out. Does anyone out there own a slow cooker ?

I have been after one for yonks, basically because i think it will be fab to quickly shove everything in before work, and have a lovely meal when i get home.

Also, the only 'supermarket' near me is Budgens .... and their meat isnt the best, and is often kinda tough. I have read / heard that slow cookers will make all meat tender because its cooked for so long.

Mr.B bought me one for Xmas, and tonight he looked really dissapointed when i shoved the steak into a normal casserole dish. But i dont know what or how to cook in the slow cooker yet. It came with a small receipe book, but it contained about 4 receipes, and they weren't very inspiring.

I think i will invest in a book on Amazon, but in the meantime, can anyone help ?

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Slow Cookers
We use ours a lot, Bons. We do chillis, sausage casserole (Simply Sausages Ranch Barbecue sauce is to die for), Spanish Chicken. Just cook everything off, add the sauce, cook all together for a couple of minutes and then bung it in the slow cooker.

We did a lovely beef casserole at Christmastime. Bunged it in in the morning on low and it was perfect for dinner in the evening.

We wouldn't be without it.
Find all posts by this user
03-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Slow Cookers
I love these domestic thread! :bag:
03-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Slow Cookers
You're right, Dolores, this isn't the thread for you. So far, I don't believe they have found a way to cook pie and chips in a slow cooker. :w00t:
03-01-2007, 09:30 PM
Slow Cookers
I've always wanted one of these. I just wouldn't know what to put in one, me being a domestic goddess and all, NOT! Patsy maybe you can give us some good recipes to go in them?

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
03-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Slow Cookers
Oh, no. I don't do recipes. I just do meat, veg and a jar of sauce and it always seems to work a treat!
04-01-2007, 08:11 AM
Slow Cookers
I have a slow cooker and it is so easy to use. If you are worried about using it from 'fresh' as it were you can always use it for warming up. By that I mean if you pre cook your casserole or chilli or curry or whatever, and then want it the next day you just bung it in on low the next morning and it brings in nicely back to edible for when you get in from work.

I would also advise browning any meat off first as it gives a better flavour and appearance, but the slow cooking makes it really tender.

Bons - most cheap/tough cuts of meat are better long slow cooked like this so give Budgens stuff a go.
04-01-2007, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2007 10:50 AM by survivorfan.)
Slow Cookers
I don't have a slow cooker so I'm sorry, I can't help. I did once see a bloke on TV cook a stew by heating it up then wrapping it in a duvet.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
04-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Slow Cookers
You could help by clearing up that mess you call a shed, though! And that desk - I'm surprised you can find anything.
04-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Slow Cookers
Well, last night i spend ages looking at receipes online .... but they were all very american. One or two looked ok, but i decided to throw caution to the wind and buy a few slow cooker cookery books. Just call me Nigella from now on.

I cant wait for them to be delivered, and Buzz, I will indeed try some Budgens meat and see how the meals turn out. :w00t:

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me