Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smells
16-11-2004, 04:42 PM
Smells

At the request of Flip Smile

Quote:
oooooo Bob start a topic on smells - they are so evocative!!
What are your favourite smells, which smells remind you of the good times and which remind you of the bad?
I hear that people get depressed in the winter becasue the odours from rotting leaves get them down. Obviously spring when everything is coming into bloom perks you up.
I just love the smell of body shop fig products becasue they remind me of my romantic holiday in Canada. Heart
One smell I can't stand is opium perfume. I'm actually ill if anyone stands near me wearing it. At work I have to deal with some pretty disgusting smells. I never get used to them.
And I adore the smell of the fresh breeze from the sea

The winner says it may be difficult but it is possible; the loser says it may be possible but it is too difficult
:yahoo: He's here!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-11-2004, 04:48 PM
Smells
I love the smell of grass, freshly washed hair, coffee, cakes baking in the oven. OOOhhh too many things to mention.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
16-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Smells
Freshly baked bread, just mown lawns, even a faint whiff from a livestock farm can be quite comforting.

Odd smells that I like include a whaft of steam engine smoke, petrol if not too pervasive and leather.
16-11-2004, 05:03 PM
Smells
I :wub: the smell of a freshly bathed baby!
16-11-2004, 05:47 PM
Smells
Bob Wrote:At the request of Flip Smile

I hear that people get depressed in the winter becasue the odours from rotting leaves get them down.

LMAO Bob - well done mate!!

I am really surprised at this - I have been out with my dogs today and the over-riding smell was of decomposing leaves and I could drink it - it is just yummy. I found an enourmous beech tree that had been blown over in the recent storms and it was slightly rotting - but the smell was just amazing. I wonder if it is because I love the smell of mushrooms and they love rotting vegatation.

Whilst revising for my exams - amongst other things - me and my mate Lucy would revise sucking rhubarb and custard sweets, and then take them into an exam with us - the taste and smell psychologically took us back to the revision and hey presto she got a first and I got a high 2:1!!

Smile
16-11-2004, 05:53 PM
Smells
I cannot stand the smell of cloves as it reminds me of toothache. I had a dental abcess once and my gran insisted on me having a cotton wool ball soaked in oil of cloves stuck to my gum, supposedly to take away the pain. It didn't and now I associate the smell or taste with pain. Christmas is a mine field for me as bloomin cloves seem to crop up in everything then!
16-11-2004, 05:55 PM
Smells
Urgh talking about cloves has just triggered something in me also. I hate the smell and taste of the things. I remember once someone giving me a toothpick that had the taste and scent of cloves on it, and I chewed it and it made me throw up. So I avoid them like the plague. And I don't know how many Apple Pies get ruined by them each day. :glare:

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
16-11-2004, 06:40 PM
Smells
Garlic cooking (but not garlic breath!), pizza cooking, potatoes roasting, bread cooking, bacon frying, coffee brewing...oh they're all food related aren't they!! What a piglet!!

I also love the smell you get outside when it has just rained, and when you walk past trees and smell spruce. I love sniffing washing that's been out on the line, and I love the smell of leather.

A weird one is I love the smell of my cat's fur...Simon thinks I'm a weirdo as I pick him up and bury my nose in his coat so I can sniff him!!!!

I adore the smell of Simon when he puts his arms around me and I feel like I'm "home".

I DON'T like the smell of broccoli (particularly when it's been through the juicer and you have to through the mush away - it smells like an old fart in a sock!) although I DO love eating it. I hate the smell of brussels sprouts, but again I love eating them!! The smell of pork (yes I DO like eating that as well) cooking makes me feel sick, and the smell of fish absolutely makes we want to chuck!!! I do try and eat the stuff but honestly, if it tastes too "fishy" I can't stomach it at all - bleeuurrgghh!
16-11-2004, 08:08 PM
Smells
I like all the usual things - freshly baked bread, mown grass, ground coffee and washing thats been on the line. But I have a few odd ones too....

E.g. Exhaust fumes. I know - they're polluting and nasty, butI like the smell. Maybe its because I'm a Londoner.....

Rubber. Mmmm, mmm, mmmm...

Elastic Bands.

Cigarette smoke (only fresh ciggie smoke though - not stale smoke).

Freshly painted gnomes....

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
17-11-2004, 09:42 AM
Smells
Ceridwen Wrote:A weird one is I love the smell of my cat's fur...Simon thinks I'm a weirdo as I pick him up and bury my nose in his coat so I can sniff him!!!!!

I do the same, and i agree - the smell is wonderful :wub:

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me