Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoking cessation thread
06-05-2005, 11:03 PM
Smoking cessation thread

I know these have been done to death but I have decided to start another thread on this matter as I seriously want to give up smoking.

I have not had a fag since Sunday night and quite proud of myself. To be honest, I have no desire to have one right now!
It's going to be tough next Friday cos I'll have finished my exams and will be out celebrating but Im determined to do it.

So, I demand messages of encouragement and praise to help me on my arduous journey. Thank you.

If anyone would like to join me (you should!) then feel free.

And finally, ex-smokers: how did you do it? Give us some top tips!

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2005, 12:50 AM
Smoking cessation thread
PJ I would love to help, but...

Tonight I ran out of ciggies; found some dried up baccie in the house and actually put it in my steamer to moisten it up enough to roll.

Good luck!

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
07-05-2005, 01:09 AM
Smoking cessation thread
Good luck PJ. When I gave it up for 5 years I just went cold turkey. No patches, no hynotherapy, nothing. Just stopped.

I would do it again but I'm scared of putting on any more weight.

If I could just get the weight off I would seriously think about joining you.
07-05-2005, 08:52 AM
Smoking cessation thread
You don't put weight on when you give up smoking unless you eat more as a substitute for cigarettes. If you are using cigarettes as a crutch you will always substitute them with something else instead, unless you address the core issue that makes you smoke in the first place.

Peej, I would seriously recommend Allan Carr's book, "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" and I would also recommend you buy the Paul McKenna book and CD. Both address the "crutch" and "but I enjoy it" issues and get you to see it as it really is. You will not find it hard to stay off them if you give these a try, I promise.

Well done for taking the plunge and best of luck....I think you should give the above a go before celebration night though as I can see that could be hard for you! :hug:
07-05-2005, 08:57 AM
Smoking cessation thread
Well done PJ....

I hope this is the time you finally give up for good Big Grin

Keep up the good work :hug:
07-05-2005, 08:57 AM
Smoking cessation thread
Ceridwen Wrote:Peej, I would seriously recommend Allan Carr's book, "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking"

Cat did it this way, Peej. Worked for her too.
07-05-2005, 10:04 AM
Smoking cessation thread
Ceridwen Wrote:You don't put weight on when you give up smoking unless you eat more as a substitute for cigarettes. If you are using cigarettes as a crutch you will always substitute them with something else instead, unless you address the core issue that makes you smoke in the first place.

That's obviously me then - I use it as a crutch. I can't come to terms with my "core" issue and I never will so I guess I will just carry on smoking.
07-05-2005, 10:21 AM
Smoking cessation thread
Well done PJ,
And continuing good luck to you. I find it really hard to give up as my problem is i really like smoking,

I will join you in your cessation campaign shortly have purchased Allen Carr's book on recommendation from everyone whose used it on here, but have yet to sit down and read it but will soon.

XXxCheekyChopsXXX Heart
07-05-2005, 10:38 AM
Smoking cessation thread
PJ, I felt increasingly disgusted at the taste and smell, and one day I just woke up and knew I was going to do it. It turned out to be quite easy for me to give up fags.

I made a bad mistake though: after a few months I started smoking the odd cigar while having a pint. Before I knew it I was hooked, smoking ten Hamlets a day. Don't go there, mate - they're ten times harder to give up because their kick is a lot stronger.

It's five years now, and I'm glad I did it. Good luck. :thumbsup:
07-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Smoking cessation thread
Critique Wrote:That's obviously me then - I use it as a crutch. I can't come to terms with my "core" issue and I never will so I guess I will just carry on smoking.

Well, you've done a really good self hypnosis on yourself there Crit - you really have set yourself up to fail!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The 2007 Gardening Thread Dolores 22 5,656 19-04-2010 06:20 AM
Last Post: Groucho
  The official "Hot" Thread. The Curmudgeon 14 14,449 21-10-2008 10:24 PM
Last Post: The Curmudgeon
  Best ever thread titles floopy 3 1,475 29-05-2008 09:18 PM
Last Post: Fee For All
  The "I'm Still Alive" Thread Rob 26 4,770 26-01-2008 06:58 PM
Last Post: Gneiss
  It don't need it's own thread.... Coastie 181 9,815 06-10-2007 05:45 PM
Last Post: Coastie
  The "how drunk will Groucho get tonight" thread ... Dolores 49 5,392 05-10-2007 05:34 PM
Last Post: Rob
  The SAVE BLUEY thread Slipper 4 1,387 05-10-2007 01:38 PM
Last Post: Figaro
  The Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening Thread Critique 84 8,396 23-06-2007 05:54 AM
Last Post: msgirl
  a thread for us laydeeees... msgirl 20 3,227 19-06-2007 06:00 AM
  Thread to say anything you like to another poster! ils 1,866 66,120 16-06-2007 03:05 PM