Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoking to be banned in Scotland!
11-11-2004, 11:52 AM

It was going to happen, it really was just a matter of time. Anyway the Executive have now taken the decision and all smoking in clubs, pubs and restaurants will be banned in Scotland as from Spring 2006. This will give the pubs etc plenty of time to adjust and start making changes now. There are quite a few restaurants in Edinburgh that have a no-smoking policy and there are a couple of pubs that have followed suit. Pubs is a difficult one as drink and smoking go hand in hand, and I can understand the smokers being up in arms about it, but coming from a non-smoker I am delighted!!!

I like to be able to go to restaurants where there is no-smoking as even if you get the smoke-free areas, the smoke still wafts over from the smoking area.

Glasgow will suffer though as it really is smoking heaven there, it was quite funny listening to all the smokers last night going on about "their rights" and that they will now have to smoke and drink at home and will probably drink more, hence become alcholics!!!!

This debate has been done before, but let's rekindle it now that Scotland has joined Dublin, New York and I think there are some other countries in Europe that have a no-smoking policy. Would this stop you or encourage you to visit Scotland?

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2004, 01:34 PM
Bella Wrote:This debate has been done before, but let's rekindle it now that Scotland has joined Dublin, New York and I think there are some other countries in Europe that have a no-smoking policy. Would this stop you or encourage you to visit Scotland?

This would neither stop or encourage me to visit Scotland.

Although I am a non-smoker and always have been most of my friends do smoke, so if I went to a bar with them that was non-smoking so they had to go outside to smoke, I would probably end up going outside with them whilst they had their fag as I wouldn't want to sit on my own being billy no mates.

I do think long term it is a good thing as hopefully it will discourage the young people from taking it up as it will be seen to be what it is, anti-social.
11-11-2004, 01:40 PM
Well, despite being a smoker, I am glad this is happening. I will definately help me cut down on smoking when Im on a night out (that is if I haven't quit by then!)
Also, I don't think it is fair for non-smokers to be breathing in our smoke. I always make sure no one objects to me having a fag if im the pub or something. If they do, I simply don't have one or go outside.

So, Im all for this smoking ban !

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
11-11-2004, 03:26 PM
I think it's a total disgrace and a gross abrogation of people's rights.

By all means enforce a law that non-smoking areas should be available everywhere, but banning it altogether?? You have more chance of being killed in a road accident that dying from passive smoking (the existence of which is tenuous to say the least - funny how the so called "supporting" evidence only emerges when the Government want to ban it) but I don't see anybody banning us all from using the road. Neither do I see anyone banning factories churning out pollutants in to the atmosphere, or banning us from eating junk food, having sugar in our tea, drinking alcohol etc.

Plenty of people commit violent acts after abusing alcohol but notably we are all allowed to do that!!

I definitely agree that people should be able to sit in a non-smoking area if they wish - no reason why they should breathe in smoke if they don't want to - but to deny smokers a fag when all these other things are going on seems to me to be nothing short of ludicrous.
11-11-2004, 04:12 PM
Ceridwen Wrote:I think it's a total disgrace and a gross abrogation of people's rights.

By all means enforce a law that non-smoking areas should be available everywhere, but banning it altogether?? You have more chance of being killed in a road accident that dying from passive smoking (the existence of which is tenuous to say the least - funny how the so called "supporting" evidence only emerges when the Government want to ban it) but I don't see anybody banning us all from using the road. Neither do I see anyone banning factories churning out pollutants in to the atmosphere, or banning us from eating junk food, having sugar in our tea, drinking alcohol etc.

Plenty of people commit violent acts after abusing alcohol but notably we are all allowed to do that!!

I definitely agree that people should be able to sit in a non-smoking area if they wish - no reason why they should breathe in smoke if they don't want to - but to deny smokers a fag when all these other things are going on seems to me to be nothing short of ludicrous.

So we won't be seeing you sightseeing in Scotland then, Ceri!!!???

11-11-2004, 04:18 PM
Bella Wrote:So we won't be seeing you sightseeing in Scotland then, Ceri!!!???

Guess not Bella!!

:laugh:
11-11-2004, 04:24 PM
I do see where you are coming from though, with regards cars, factory pollution etc. Although car drivers have been set on for quite some time now, with increased road-tax, the tolls to enter City centres. the increased parking (it costs 45p for 15 minutes in Edinburgh up until 6.30pm), they are very much anti-car here in Edinburgh.

I do think that restaurants should be non-smoking, I can't stand it when people light up during courses, it is just rude! I mean do people actually do that at home?? Ok, they may not be having 3 courses every day at home, but is it really necessary?

And yes, I am a non-smoker so I have a completely different point of view from Ceri who is a smoker. Of course smokers are going to be annoyed about it, but as has been mentioned before years ago there used to be smoking in cinemas and aeroplanes, it hasn't stopped people going to see a film or go abroad on holiday..............

11-11-2004, 04:32 PM
Trouble is I just don't see the POINT of it. If you have mandatory non-smoking areas, you can sit in one. If you don't like smoking, you don't have to sit with smokers. If smoking is that dangerous, shouldn't it be illegal full stop? How come we can go to the supermarket and buy a vast array of other harmful products (booze, sugary foods, high fat foods, refined carbohydrates etc) and merrily consume them wherever we like, why should smoking be any different?

Like I say, I don't think people should be FORCED to endure smoking, but that could be solved quite simply without resorting to draconian measures.

NB. When are shorts in winter going to be banned, particularly tight fitting lycra ones on male cyclists?
11-11-2004, 05:26 PM
I'm getting me kilt oot o storage me an me wheels will be heading north for breaks soon.

I am so vehemently anti smoking. I can say no more than that sentence. Debate is useless as I am fixed in my belief. Unmoveable uncompromising. I want it banned from everywhere except ones own garden or house or balcony.
11-11-2004, 06:14 PM
Ceridwen Wrote:Trouble is I just don't see the POINT of it. If you have mandatory non-smoking areas, you can sit in one. If you don't like smoking, you don't have to sit with smokers. If smoking is that dangerous, shouldn't it be illegal full stop?

No, you won't see the point because you are a smoker. Mandatory non-smoking areas, yes all well & good if they are totally seperate, I mean a wall and door seperating from the smoking area. I mean let's be honest here restaurants that offer non-smoking and smoking areas are a help but the smoke does waft over and what happens if you are given the seat on the border of smoking and non-smoking.

The point is I don't like my hair, clothes stinking of smoke but I do enjoy going out when I occassionally get the chance to. It is selfish and anti-social and smokers have had their way for a long time now, it is time that the non-smokers were given a bit of freedom and and for me it is one thing that the Labour Government in Scotland has done right!

Oh and sheoque, I adorn my kilt when you come up and we can do the Highland Fling together to celebrate!!! :wave:
And as for it being made illegal............maybe one day!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Should Smoking Be Banned Outside? Seabreeze 4 735 16-11-2007 12:02 PM
Last Post: Slipper
  Smoking ban. Do addicts deserve free speech? IsLe Of WeAtHeR 3 572 25-03-2006 09:37 AM
Last Post: bridge
  Smoking Banned Seabreeze 56 3,302 28-02-2006 08:41 PM
Last Post: Rob
  Dopes smoking Dope ....boRRRRRRING IsLe Of WeAtHeR 9 1,199 17-10-2005 11:01 AM
Last Post: Eternity
  Smoking at work maxine 17 1,557 21-09-2005 07:27 PM
Last Post: Normal1
  Smoking Ban tonee 105 5,160 12-04-2005 04:42 PM
Last Post: Fee For All