Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Good News........but with strings...
28-04-2005, 12:15 PM

...........Our offer on the house we saw last week which is fantastic!! We have searched for ages........and I mean ages for the ideal house, knowing that we would never find it. We have seen some houses over the years, put in offers only to be knocked back, the Scottish system is a nightmare and especially in Edinburgh it is a dog eat dog world!

To let you understand -Scotland offers a system whereby a house is put on the market at an offers price, you then note your interest and once there is enough interested parties (usually over 3) it is then put to a closing date and everyone puts in a bid and the highest offer is usually the one that is accepted (not always though). Now before the house market went crazy here, you would get a survey and valuation done prior to putting in your offer, but the majority of people now put in an offer subject to survey as there were so many people paying for surveys and not getting the property.

This is where the BUT comes in...........we have had the mortgage approved in principle and they can do the survey for us at a cost of £135 but will take 7 working days but our Solicitors can arrange one today and conclude contracts today at a price of £305.........for basically doing the same job! Now there were 3 offers put in and our one just marginally pipped the post and providing we can conclude contract and move on the 1st July, the house is ours but if we can't get the contracts concluded soon, they could just go to the next offer as it is only marginal. So, we don't want to lose out and have taken the hit of £305 BUT and here is another BUT, we do not have a clue what it will be valued at! It could be valued way under at what our offer is...........oh, I hate the Scottish system!!

So, I want to scream, jump up and down, go wild, crack open the champagne but nothing is finallised yet until we get that valuation!

And the great thing is, is that the house is still within walking distance to the school for Katie, so we don't have to worry about changing schools.

But........yes another one.........did I mention that Mr B will be getting made redundant on 15th July....................we are mad aren't we, totally barking but we just couldn't miss that chance! Tell me we are doing the right thing! :blink:

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2005, 12:21 PM
You're deffo doing the right thing, this time next year you'll be a multi-millionaire jewellry magnate and your money worriies will be over. :w00t:

Fingers crossed for you :drinking:

Bollox to potplants
Find all posts by this user
28-04-2005, 12:40 PM
I hope it works out for you, Bella Big Grin
28-04-2005, 12:48 PM
I hope everything goes fine for you Bella.
Yes you are mad, but sometimes in this world you have to do mad things.
when we bought this house our survey cost £300, I couldn't believe it.
When you buy a house its not just the asking price you have to think about, there are so many other expenses invovled to.

Wow, everbody's moving. I want a new house as well.

Good luck Bella. Smile

[Image: 429.gif]
28-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Awwww bella that really is fabby news. You have been looking for years havent you. CONGRATULATIONS.

And as for doing the right thing ... of course you are. You have to be impulsive once in a while - and im a true believer in fate :wink_kiss

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
28-04-2005, 03:53 PM
floopy Wrote:You're deffo doing the right thing, this time next year you'll be a multi-millionaire jewellry magnate and your money worriies will be over. :w00t:

Fingers crossed for you :drinking:

Lol Floops, mutli-millionaire.........in my dreams!! :pimp: Having just got the quote from the solicitor, think I will train to be one of them! :shocking:

I am pretty sure we are doing the right thing, we have been looking for years and our search was limited as we wanted to stay in the same area and we have had other offers turned down or there was simply nothing suitable. This house is just perfect, completely walk-in, probably a bit of decoration but other than that nothing and we have a GARDEN!!! Our very own garden that lbacks onto a cycle path and onto a huge playing field. Our own flat, which I will miss as it one of the old type with big hugh ceilings and all the old features, does need a few minor things done to it and it is a great opportunity for us to de-clutter. The new house is more modern and doesn't have the same character as the flat but it will be worth it.

If we do need bailed out, I can rely on you lot............can't I........... :unsure:

28-04-2005, 04:30 PM
Good luck Bella! Sounds like a tough decision to make. The only thing I would say is to go on your gut feeling. That's what I do, and it always seems to be ok. Smile Scary though! :unsure:

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
28-04-2005, 04:30 PM
Bella - that's fantastic! Nothing happens unless it's meant to be; I'm with Floopy - get cracking with your jewellery!

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
28-04-2005, 04:44 PM
Just got the valuation back and it is only £2000 less than our offer, and the survey only picked up minor things like painting of windows etc, so it looks like it is full-steam ahead! Our flat will probably go on the market next week, still can't believe it is happening!

I have my first jewellery party tomorrow, so hopefully it should be a good night, at least I can celebrate! Must remember and add a couple of noughts onto the price tags, I'll take along a few bottles of wine, get everyone plastered and then get them to hand over their cheques!! :devil:

28-04-2005, 04:48 PM
£300 for a survey? We had to pay £400 when we bought our house in 2000. :mad2:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Good news! karenh 12 3,550 09-01-2009 08:41 PM
Last Post: Spooky
  Not so good news.... karenh 12 3,485 22-12-2008 01:03 PM
Last Post: karenh
  News from the Asylum... Haydon_acc2 4 1,241 03-08-2007 04:05 AM
Last Post: msgirl
  The Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening Thread Critique 84 8,920 23-06-2007 05:54 AM
  Quick question for you good people.... Figaro 24 4,023 15-01-2007 04:12 PM
Last Post: Patsy
  Good Morning Sunshines... msgirl 2 912 01-11-2006 02:14 PM
  Cooking when drunk .... is it EVER a good idea?! Dolores 3 995 20-10-2006 10:16 AM
Last Post: Critique
  SO News people - volunteers wanted Haydon_acc2 19 2,549 13-09-2006 10:53 PM
Last Post: Haydon_acc2
  Are women any good at men's sports? Northern angel 29 3,573 03-05-2006 06:37 PM
Last Post: Northern angel
  when good threads go bad... Dolores 104 7,165 09-03-2006 03:27 PM
Last Post: Coastie