Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something Niggling You?
11-04-2005, 04:01 PM
Something Niggling You?

Want to know the answer to something that's driving you mad? Could be the name of an actor/singer/film, etc. Could be a life-long questions, like why are you always left with one odd sock?

I'm one of those people who has to have google very close at hand. I could, of course, continue to use that, but thought this would be much more entertaining.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2005, 04:20 PM
Something Niggling You?
Something that is puzzling me is a recent magazine promotion by one of the soap powder brands (it can't have been a very good promotion as I can't even remember what brand it is!)

The promotion basically consisted of them advertising a new fragrance for their soap powder by putting ONE pink sock in a magazine with a cardboard thingy advertising the new pong.

I am totally baffled as to the point of this - what was the pink sock about? There was no mention of it anywhere, it was just attached to the cardboard saying "come and try our new smell".

If anyone can remember the brand or knows what the point of this is, please let me know, as I am sure the money would have been better spent on giving away a free sample of the powder itself! :wacko:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-04-2005, 05:03 PM
Something Niggling You?
Oh and another thing...

I am going to the Cotswolds for my birthday and staying in a lovely hotel with a great restaurant...however as with most posh restaurants they keep referring, on the menu, to "confit" (as in Pan-Fried Fillet of Sea Bass, confit fennel and lobster ravioli oscietra caviar, shellfish sauce; Roast Quail with a salad of confit leg and beetroot; Roasted Chump of Local Lamb, tomato confit, braised fennel, dauphinoise potato)

Does anyone know what the ruddy heck "confit" actually is? Only I don't want to look like a total doughnut when I get there!! :unsure: :laugh:
11-04-2005, 06:02 PM
Something Niggling You?
Ceridwen Wrote:Something that is puzzling me is a recent magazine promotion by one of the soap powder brands (it can't have been a very good promotion as I can't even remember what brand it is!)

The promotion basically consisted of them advertising a new fragrance for their soap powder by putting ONE pink sock in a magazine with a cardboard thingy advertising the new pong.

I am totally baffled as to the point of this - what was the pink sock about? There was no mention of it anywhere, it was just attached to the cardboard saying "come and try our new smell".

If anyone can remember the brand or knows what the point of this is, please let me know, as I am sure the money would have been better spent on giving away a free sample of the powder itself! :wacko:

Pink sock = sock worn by a young female

All women can remember how there feet smelt when they where young

So young female sock they would know how bad that smells and if the new fragrance can make it smell like there new fragrance it must be great

I did advertising at uni

Next time you see a before and after advert
watch how after they use whatever it is
the background colours will be brighter and more vivid and everything will look clean and tidy

[b][i]Life is not that long [Image: 36_1_12.gif]
[/b][/i]
11-04-2005, 06:06 PM
Something Niggling You?
Ceridwen Wrote:Oh and another thing...

I am going to the Cotswolds for my birthday and staying in a lovely hotel with a great restaurant...however as with most posh restaurants they keep referring, on the menu, to "confit" (as in Pan-Fried Fillet of Sea Bass, confit fennel and lobster ravioli oscietra caviar, shellfish sauce; Roast Quail with a salad of confit leg and beetroot; Roasted Chump of Local Lamb, tomato confit, braised fennel, dauphinoise potato)

Does anyone know what the ruddy heck "confit" actually is? Only I don't want to look like a total doughnut when I get there!! :unsure: :laugh:

It means Thick sauce.............not runny like gravey

[b][i]Life is not that long [Image: 36_1_12.gif]
[/b][/i]
11-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Something Niggling You?
Mr P tells me that a confit, if savoury, is like a compressed meat dish - not quite like a pate, but not an actual piece of meat either, usually done in a terrine. A compressed meat dish, if you will.
11-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Something Niggling You?
Cockney Wrote:It means Thick sauce.............not runny like gravey

.........in Essex maybe.
11-04-2005, 06:58 PM
Something Niggling You?
Thanks guys...I am sure the confit thing is some kind of stitch up to get you to pay more for a chunk of Spam!! :laugh:
11-04-2005, 07:06 PM
Something Niggling You?
Mrs Dab is in bed feeling not very well at all, but I nagged until she revealed that confit is french for "conserve" and means either:

1. meat (often duck) salted and cooked in its own fat, then sealed and preserved in that fat; or

2. fruit or vegetables cooked down to a jammy consistency to accompany meat or fish or deserts; and

3. sod off I've got flu go and annoy someone else and let me sleep.
11-04-2005, 07:41 PM
Something Niggling You?
dab Wrote:Mrs Dab is in bed feeling not very well at all, but I nagged until she revealed that confit is french for "conserve" and means either:

1. meat (often duck) salted and cooked in its own fat, then sealed and preserved in that fat; or

2. fruit or vegetables cooked down to a jammy consistency to accompany meat or fish or deserts; and

3. sod off I've got flu go and annoy someone else and let me sleep.

Rock on Mrs Dab - I hope you took her advice at 3?

I was about to answer this question but Mrs Dab - from her poorly bed has answered - I would only add that also it is referred to often using Goose.

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]