Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something fishy
25-07-2006, 06:56 AM
Something fishy

No not those pesky little things that Andrea brought us, but a fishy smell in my home.
I first noticed it a few years back and in one of the bedrooms then later in the other, I though it was something dead and when I had a new carpet fitted got them to look, i couldn't explain it.
So after all this time of not being able to put my finger on it I now know where it is coming from but not why.
it's the overhead lights in both rooms.
I was having a conversation with my ma a couple of weeks ago and they thought the cat had been peeeing intheir room and kept kicking her out (poor pussy) but they could never find the wet patch (ewww) then they discovered it was from these new energy bulbs that they had in- took them out problem solved.
With mine i don't know if it's an electrical fault or just the bulbs becasue I have normal bulbs and it doesn't always do it.
I don't often put the big lights on in my room which is why it's sometimes I smell it, but put it on for ten mins this morning to see and poo, it stinks.

I don't know if I should get someone in to check the wiring or if it's just a case of getting smaller light bulbs.
Anyone had this problem?

The winner says it may be difficult but it is possible; the loser says it may be possible but it is too difficult
:yahoo: He's here!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2006, 07:55 AM
Something fishy
Bob you know the small bulb ring that you attach to the light fitting it's that, i had the same problem some years ago, when they get hot they smell of fish.

you'll have to get rid of them.

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct.
Benjamin Disraeli

[Image: ake.gif]
Find all posts by this user
25-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Something fishy
Yeah listen to bridge Bob...I had the same thing in my old bedroom round mums...it was the rose (the bit on the ceiling)...then mum had it it her room...

Basically over the years the plastic starts to become brittle and overheat...the fishy smell is the warm-hot plastic...replace them soon as it can become dangerous...you may notice while you do the change that the wire insulation on some of the wires have also been brunt slightly...Huh

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
28-07-2006, 09:08 AM
Something fishy
bridge Wrote:Bob you know the small bulb ring that you attach to the light fitting it's that, i had the same problem some years ago, when they get hot they smell of fish.

you'll have to get rid of them.

But you need them to keep your lamp shade on, is that what you mean? Do you mean get rid end of, or replace? Coastie is ther an alternative to plasitc?

The winner says it may be difficult but it is possible; the loser says it may be possible but it is too difficult
:yahoo: He's here!
31-07-2006, 07:24 AM
Something fishy
Not really...I think you can get metal ones butI'm not sure....I replaced mine and it's been fine....the one before was fine for 26 years so the plastic ones are okay they just get brittle and smelly after a couple of decades!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
31-07-2006, 09:24 AM
Something fishy
Bob Wrote:But you need them to keep your lamp shade on, is that what you mean? Do you mean get rid end of, or replace? Coastie is ther an alternative to plasitc?

Sorry Bob i meant replace maybe with a metal one or something?

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct.
Benjamin Disraeli

[Image: ake.gif]
31-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Something fishy
Its something electrical. Hair dryers sometimes smell fishy when they about to conk out.