Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Somethings gotta give
31-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Somethings gotta give

I've seen quite a few movies where Jack Nicholson is priceless, but in this one he carries the movie so strongly that his performance is the entire movie.

I couldn't help thinking he took some cues from Kramer in Seinfeld at times though, but he is absolutely brilliant. I like to play the game "so-and-so would have been better in that role", but this one I can't imagine anyone else carrying it off like he did. He rules the movie just with his eyes.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Somethings gotta give
Is that the one with Diane Keaton, Gat? Or is it the one with Kathy Bates?
31-07-2006, 04:40 PM
Somethings gotta give
The one with Kathy Bates is called About Schmidt
01-08-2006, 06:46 AM
Somethings gotta give
Oh I thoroughly enjoyed this movie Gat....I laughed my head off when they were running around naked and Mama Coastie almost spilt her drink with laughter when Diane Keaton mentions that there's no need for protection because of the menopause! :laugh:

Not quite as rib pinging as 'As Good as it Gets' but close!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-08-2006, 08:28 AM
Somethings gotta give
I thought his character in SGG was a mix of his characters in As Good As It Gets (which is one of my all time favourite films) and Terms of Endearment, the hapless, loveable rogue who just can't seem to get it right, and was consequently a bit disappointed.

Diane Keaton looked stunning, though.
01-08-2006, 09:48 AM
Somethings gotta give
As Good as it Gets is in my top five Pats! Cool

My goodness you do have some good taste after all!:laugh:

Yes and Diane Keaton did look rather good for her age in SGG didn't she?

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
01-08-2006, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2006 03:01 PM by gatubela.)
Somethings gotta give
I read something about Jack Nicholson that he only accepts a role if he can identify three scenes where he can really "overperform" in. So I'm in the habit of looking for those scenes now.

Who else could carry the "you can't handle the truth" scene in A Few Good Men like he did? I've watched that lots of times as when it comes on tv I always keep it on just to watch him give THAT speech.

Anyone else suspect that Leonardo Dicaprio is going to inherit Jack Nicholson's movie personna in the future. He is already starting to look like him, vis-a-vis the eyes etc, and he can also act, witness an extraordinary performance in Whats Eating Gilbert Grape alongside Johnny Depp . John Reilly was also in that movie, who was also with Dicaprio in the Aviator - he's a great example of an actor where we say "who?", but we have all seen him in a dozen movies or so (a bit like Steve Buscemi who has done over a hundred movies now, he seems to be in everything).
01-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Somethings gotta give
I can't stand Di C'r'aprio...Huh but Steve Buscemi is great!

10-08-2006, 07:55 PM
Somethings gotta give
It had to be done...I set up Mama Coasties new TV today and rewarded myself with a viewing of 'Somethings Gotta Give'...marvellous! :w00t: