Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speed Cameras
07-09-2005, 10:30 AM
Speed Cameras

Is it right tha the motoring organisations should publish the location of speed camera hot spots as they do, in effect encouraging motorists to speed elsewhere?

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2005, 10:41 AM
Speed Cameras
I personally dont think speed camera locations should be advertised.

In my opinion, if you speed - you deserve to get fined. It isnt necessary - and most of the time you only arrive at your destination a fraction sooner than you would of done.

Everyone speeds occasionally because life is fast paced. But i know when im on the motorway, and doing 70mph, i was the people who are hurtling down the road at 100mph + fined as they are putting my life, and their own lives in danger by going at that speed.

I do think the police should be lenient sometimes though. I know in a 30mph zone you can go about 34mph before a fine is issued, but i do think people who have never been caught before, i.e. a one off should get let off with a warning. Its the people who consistently speed who need to be taken to task.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-09-2005, 10:46 AM
Speed Cameras
I'm thinking specifically of the RAC and AA's role in it.

In my opinion they have a responsibility to make sure people drive safely and within the law. However their view on speed seems to be rather than recommend drivers stick to the speed limit, they are saying OK, exceed it as long as you know when to slow down for cameras, and we'll help you break the law by telling you where they are.

07-09-2005, 10:49 AM
Speed Cameras
I wish they would locate speed cameras in build-up areas rather than on dual carriageways and motorways. I am sick at the amount of drivers who pay little attention to speeding up & down my street or outside the school gates. There is no need for it - I would happily pay for one to be put outside my front gate so as just to catch these rat-racers and of course, I would quite happily pocket all the money that it would make and share it with you lovely people! There would be more than enough to share!!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
07-09-2005, 10:55 AM
Speed Cameras
survivorfan Wrote:In my opinion they have a responsibility to make sure people drive safely and within the law. However their view on speed seems to be rather than recommend drivers stick to the speed limit, they are saying OK, exceed it as long as you know when to slow down for cameras, and we'll help you break the law by telling you where they are.
It's somewhat hypocritical, isn't it?

I'm all in favour of strict enforcement of speeding limits. The speed limit is a maximum, not a minimum. If everyone appreciated this, there would be less puffing and blowing when travelling behind someone doing (how dare they!) 29mph in a 30mph zone.

If you want to go faster than the law allows then either (-a-) accept your fine like an adult and stop bleating about this "underhanded tax" or (-b-) go somewhere where it's legal to go faster. There are LOTS of opportunities - see the ads in any car magazine. Or pop over to Germany for a zip up the unlimited autobahns (or ditto the Isle of Man), but please don't do this in a Nissan Micra...

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
07-09-2005, 10:56 AM
Speed Cameras
Yes. I don't think it encourages motorists to speed elsewhere - it discourages them from speeding where the cameras are.

Fast driving is too often confused with reckless driving. There are times when weather/road conditions dictate a speed much lower than the permitted limits. Safe drivers will drive accordingly; the reckless won't and currently speed cameras don't have the facility to cope with these situations. So for example, idiots can get away with endangering others by driving too fast in appalling weather conditions while a safe driver can be penalised for exceeding the limit on a deserted road in good weather conditions.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
07-09-2005, 10:59 AM
Speed Cameras
Fee For All Wrote:I don't think it encourages motorists to speed elsewhere - it discourages them from speeding where the cameras are.

But isn't it a bit like publishing the locations of department store CCTVs so you know where you shouldn't shop lift?

07-09-2005, 10:59 AM
Speed Cameras
If we wish to live in a civilised society, we have to accept that the government has no choice but to blanket legislate in many cases. This idea that we all know better than the government and should do what we like is postmodern anarchy. If you have a problem with it, lobby government - but obey the law in the meantime.

Incidentally, even "careful" drivers tend to overestimate their abilities, or even worse - their car's capabilities.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
07-09-2005, 11:15 AM
Speed Cameras
survivorfan Wrote:But isn't it a bit like publishing the locations of department store CCTVs so you know where you shouldn't shop lift?

But isn't the purpose to be a deterrent? Most retailers advertise that they have methods for detecting theft because it is preferable to stop it in the first place rather than prosecute.

The best way to tackle speed would be to bring in legislation to prevent automotive producers from building vehicles with the capability of reaching high speeds. This would solve the problem of motorway speeding and allow the police more time to concentrate on residential areas where there tend to be fewer speed deterrents.

The current speed limits should be reviewed. Driving conditions have changed. I think 30mph in residential areas is too high; while 70mph on motorways is too low in some circumstances.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
07-09-2005, 11:21 AM
Speed Cameras
Fee For All Wrote:The current speed limits should be reviewed. Driving conditions have changed. I think 30mph in residential areas is too high; while 70mph on motorways is too low in some circumstances.

I am in agreement here Fee. Let's face it who hasn't done more than 70mph on the motorway. Most cars today are designed to cope with speeds of 70 and above. I do slow down to around 20 where I live much to the impatience of the 4X4 driver who raced past me whilst giving me the finger, only to have to slam the brakes on as he came to red light!! Drivers like this should be covered in horse manure! :ranting:

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT