Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Squatters
01-12-2005, 11:05 AM
Squatters

Should we still have squatters rights in this country?

It's unlawful to squat, but not illegal in this country. Does that make any sense? In other words you shouldn't do it but the law can't actually do much about it if you do.

This thread was inspired by a piece I saw on tv this morning. Apparently some guy has successfully claimed squatters rights to land worth £23m! He took his animals onto land belonging to someone else to graze. Taking them down for a nibble and then bringing 'em back. After 12 years he then claimed squatters rights and now owns the land!

So what do you think? Is this taking freedom too far. Should we be allowed to squat? What about truly homeless people?

Haydon

[Image: pot001.gif]jobs kent
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2005, 04:23 PM
Squatters
Haydon

We haven't had a problem with squatters as such but we did/still have a problwm with a tennant that we rented our property to. Basically what happened was that she was on housing benefit, so her rent was being paid for. She never told them that she had extra jobs and was therefore receiving extra money, when the council found this out they stopped her payments. She then stated that she could not afford to pay us. We discovered to our cost when we tried to evict her that the law is very firmly on the side on the tenant. I am aware that there are some very dodgy land-lords out there and tenants have rights too but what happens about the rights of the land-lord who has done no wrong.

She did eventually leave by her own will but she made us out to be evil and uncaring as she had a child but we were not running a charity for homeless mothers!

When she did leave, she took furniture that did not belong to her and left the place in a right mess.

Taking into account lawyers fees (she got legal aid) we have probably lost about £3000 and god knows how much time we have spend dealing with this.

It makes me sick that people can screw you and still end up looking the victim.

Sorry Haydon this doesn't really answer your question does it? Yes, I do think this is taking the law too far but I think if I have nothing to do this weekend, I might just go and find some land belonging to a rich person and pitch my tent!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
01-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Squatters
I don't think squatters rights should exist. I do feel it is like stealing something legally and must be very frustrating and costly for the owners.

Its stories like Bellas that put people off of letting out spare property as the landlords normally have a reasonable income unlike the tennant and get stuck with the legal fees through no fault of their own.
Find all posts by this user
01-12-2005, 09:24 PM
Squatters
My mum and dad are going to be having somewhat of this problem soon. They live in a terraced house and inbetween each set of terraces there is a right of way alley type thing and it is shared access to the back alley for about six houses, three either way.

The people in one of the houses have decided to make this right of way part of their garden and have put locked doors on each end. They are getting away with it as they have given everyone who shares this right of way keys to the doors. But they have paved and fenced the right of way into their garden. It doesn't take too long to figure out exactly what they are up to!

I think it's a silly law and should definitely be reviewed again. I can't believe they gained the land because their animals grazed in it. That's ridiculous. And Bella I hope it all works out for you. How awful it must be for you to have to go through that.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
02-12-2005, 07:56 AM
Squatters
I was once a squatter :ninja: ... please don't hate me! :mellow:

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
02-12-2005, 09:17 AM
Squatters
Dolores Wrote:please don't hate me! :mellow:

Why should i change a habit of a lifetime :wink_kiss

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
02-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Squatters
Dolores Wrote:I was once a squatter :ninja: ... please don't hate me! :mellow:
What?! Where? How? Did you get away with it? Do you now own the mansion and it's six acres of land?

Haydon

02-12-2005, 07:02 PM
Squatters
When we bought our present house, the bottom half of our garden didn't technically belong to the house.

But the previous owners had been using this piece of land to run a garden centre/nursery on - with the permission of the man who owned it [although he died about 15 years ago].

So we were advised to check out the 'agreement' between the land owner and the previous owner of our house. So the position was that if the land owner had allowed the people who owned our house to use the land 'free of charge' for the past 14 or so years without any agreement - the land would eventually become theirs [and ours by default].

Sadly this was not the case [for us] - the house owners had paid a meagre peppercorn rent [maybe a few house plants and a couple of quid] but enough to stop the previous owners or us claiming the land as ours.

We ended up having to pay the land owners son 20K for it ... so I quite like the idea of squatters rights [but only if I am a squatter or a squatter's heir].

We have a similar situation in Scotland too - our house up their has a tiny peice of land over the road and in front of it - if we start caring for it and tend it for long enough by 'Border Reiver' rights it will belong to us. Actually this is true of many of our neighbours up there - they have just used and then finally 'legally' claimed the land. And it is prefectly legal.

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

02-12-2005, 07:11 PM
Squatters
Haydon Wrote:What?! Where? How? Did you get away with it? Do you now own the mansion and it's six acres of land?

hardly a mansion! it was a freezing cold house in Holloway (north London) ...or was that my prison cell ... cant remember now!

Anyway, in those days (late 80s) I was very irresponsible, ye gods shock horror i didn't even have a television licence, I certainly had no social conscience.

I am now a fully paid up member of society (on electoral rolls and everything) and think that anyone who thinks they are above the law or think they are owed a living are the scum of the earth ... cos they are ... as i was!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
08-12-2005, 09:16 AM
Squatters
I gotta find myself some neglected land or maybe even a derelict and unloved house somewhere.

If you know of anywhere please send details asap!

Haydon