Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stress....
13-12-2004, 07:59 PM
Stress....

HELP!!

I have been very, VERY stressed at work recently. I won't bore you with the details, but I am absolutely exhausted and have nothing left to give.

Trouble is, I have developed weird physical symptoms lately - headaches (which I never usually get, even when hungover!), constant stomach upsets, dry scaly patches of skin (usually I have lovely soft skin) and insomnia (when I usually sleep like a log).

Have any of you ever had anything like this in times of great stress - is it normal and does it last for long? What can I do to make it go away?

BTW don't say sort things out at work - there's no chance. We have no one else in post to help me and the existing staff are the people causing the trouble - someone else appointed them and despite my constant training and mentoring it seems they're just not bright enough to do what they need to do!!

I don't want to go to the docs as I would feel a bit daft, so any DIY advice would be welcome!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2004, 08:15 PM
Stress....
If you can't change what's happenning to you at work then by all means try some relaxation techniques and herbal remedies. Something might work and if you're lucky you'll get a nice long massage if your ask your partner nicely. However, wouldn't it be good idea to go to the docs anyway. You could find out whether there's any underlying conditions that are causing the problems that could be easily treated? I'm sure he/she has seen plenty of people who are suffering the physical effects of stress and won't think you are in the least bit daft. If they do, then you should think about changing your GP.
13-12-2004, 09:35 PM
Stress....
I have suffered from stress on and off for a few years now and when I am very stressed, I get a lot of headaches, suffer from insomnia, and my skin condition flares up (I had eczema as a child and don't suffer now except in times of great stress)amongst other things.

I would suggest you do consult your doctor as mine was a great help to me and has helped me manage it. You might also find this site helpful....

Stress
14-12-2004, 12:00 AM
Stress....
Ceridwen, I recognise your situation and your symptoms. Please take them seriously.

Some years ago I was in a very stressful 24/7 job. It was so stressful we were required to undergo regular psychiatric assessments. I remember one occasion when the doc told me how concerned he was for us, regarding the long term effects of continued stress.

My point is that when things got really hairy I used to experience symptoms similar to the ones you're describing. I didn't get the skin patches, but I did get a sore, itchy bit in the corner of one eye. And I never noticed insomnia, but that was probably because our sleep patterns were all over the place anyway. Not to mention binge drinking after ops.

After some years of this I realised I was doing myself real damage. My immune system was shot to ribbons and every little bug laid me low. My family life was a mess. The only thing I was doing well was my job, and it was killing me. It's always the strong ones who can handle the most stress, because we won't allow our bodies to tell us otherwise. Our strength is our own worst enemy in these circumstances.

We all know that while stress is good for us, distress is bad. And in my experience, a bloody good definition of distress is when a stupidly strong heroic type of person is in a ridiculously stressful job with little or no support and no light at the end of the tunnel!!

Well, I couldn't change the job - so I changed jobs.

It's not impossible, you know. The world still turns.

Please, Ceridwen, please tell your GP what you're going through. He or she will have heard it all before, and will be able to help. If not, as Nox said, there are plenty who will. You wouldn't expect a car to keep running for ever without a service, would you. That's all this is. It's not failure, or weakness, or anything like that. It's simply a case of physical maintenance.

God bless you. xx
14-12-2004, 12:31 AM
Stress....
Youve got some excellent advice there Ceri
Dont write off 'stress' as being for wusses...lots of people fake it/think it...but when physical symptoms show, get thee to the docs. Take time off. No job is worth letting your health suffer, real stress is serious, take heed of what your mind and body are telling you.
Hope you can sort this asap
Hugs
M

Intergalactic Space Cat

[Image: wildchild.jpg]
Home of Jimi, the Wild Child.
14-12-2004, 07:59 AM
Stress....
Hi, I have been sufferring from post natal depression. I have a small baby. I am usually a very easygoing person, not stressed at all, take everything in my stride, happy and calm. I never had sympathy for people who were stressed or depressed because I had no understanding of it.

I went to the doctor who has put me on a natural anti- depressant. It is a short course which you stop taking and the effects stay it helps your body even after you stop. I am feeling better already and only wish I hadn't put off going for nearly a year. I didn't want to appear dramatic or "a sad case". I was ashamed of the fact that I thought I had post natal depression. I have realised how that nobody needs to know, I'd rather get help than suffer the symptoms I had. I have been stressed and anxious and couldnt cope emotionally from even the smallest situations that arise.

Get help as soon as you can. You cannot be labelled as people need not know. Once you get sorted out, you will be thankful you went.

I am so happy I am returning to normal.
Find all posts by this user
14-12-2004, 05:36 PM
Stress....
Thanks for all your support and advice - it really means a lot. Smile

I will try out things suggested and may even struggle off to the doctor's when I get a minute - it's reassuring to know I am not going mad!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Stress! Critique 22 1,531 09-05-2005 09:57 AM
Last Post: Bonsai