Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sunbathing
19-06-2005, 07:31 PM
Sunbathing

Are you a sun worshipper or do you prefer the pale and interesting look? Are you a sun bed addict or do you fake it? How long do you stay in the sun for and what sun cream do you use?

I must admit I do like to get a tan in the summer. Not a chocolate brown one (which I can achieve as I am olive skinned), but a healthy brown/bronze glow is great.

I use at least Factor 15 in this country, and if I go abroad to somewhere hot (in the hot season) I use Factor 30. I also use the special stuff for your face as I find the ordinary lotion makes me shiny and spotty!

I do regulate my tanning however, and I won't stay in the sun for longer than an hour at a time. Neither do I sunbathe between 12pm and 2pm. I also reapply my cream each time I have a "break".

When I was younger I was a sunbed addict - then I realised that I would look like a prune when older if I kept going on them so thankfully I came to my senses and packed them up. I have tried fake tan to perk me up in the winter but to be honest I can't be arsed - I hate the smell, I hate not knowing whether it's going to go streaky, and I hate the hassle.

So what about you ladies and gents?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2005, 07:36 PM
Sunbathing
I love the sun, I love it hot, hot, hot! I dont' very often just lay out in the sun though and like you Ceri, I try to avoid it at it's hottest, especially on days like today.

I'm more likely to be gardening or ironing (!) in the garden than sunbathing.

On really hot days I just go down to the beach for a swim, it's great living 10 mins from a nice beach! (I tend to go down after 4ish when there are less people to admire my beautifully toned body!!!!)

I never go really brown, but I do tan quite easily.

I would love to have really brown legs, but alas no amount of lie-ing in the sun makes those babies change from their milky white (and spotty) shade!

I also use factor 15 (don't go abroad so don't know about that!)

... and I am pleased to announce that my son has never once in all his 11 years been sunburnt! Cos that does my nut in when i see pink babies and small children ... there is no excuse for it!! :ranting:

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
19-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Sunbathing
Apparently sunburn when small is the thing that most often causes skin cancer - the skin is so much more thin and vulnerable then. Docs recommend that kids should have Factor 60 on when it is hot!
19-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Sunbathing
NB. Outdoor ironing???!!! :wacko: :laugh: :laugh:
19-06-2005, 07:49 PM (This post was last modified: 19-06-2005 07:51 PM by karenh.)
Sunbathing
I like having a tan, but I'm not a "sun worshipper" and I won't go to a great deal of effort to get one. I've got the classic, fair skinned, British complexion (despite having a Spanish mother), so I'd be mad to fry myself.

So, if I'm on holiday, I sunbathe and I get a tan. Its nice in that environment - you have nothing better to do, there is the pool/sea to cool down, there is plenty of shade if you want it and a nice bar to order cool drinks. I never wear less than factor 20, always wear a hat and never lie out between 11:00 - 2:00pm. It just gets too hot for me.

However, if I'm in the UK I wouldn't sunbathe out in the garden. I couldn't be bothered with getting all hot and sweaty! I'll be in the garden for a BBQ with mates (their garden or mine) but find that I seek out the shade.

I'll happily use fake tan from time to time if I want a boost, but agree that some of them can smell. I'd never put on fake tan and then go out for an evening!

I rarely use sunbeds, but have done so in the past to keep a natual tan going for a bit longer if I've got a wedding or other event coming up.

I try not to be anal about it though. I'm careful in the sun because I would burn if I wasn't, but I worry more about skin cancer than premature ageing as my skin type is the most prone to skin cancer. But we all get old, we all get wrinkled, and unless you live like a hermit, have never smoked and avoid sunlight altogether, few of us will look like 30 when we're 50 no matter how much suncream we wear!

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
19-06-2005, 07:59 PM
Sunbathing
I have often ironed outdoors and have an extension lead to myself especially for it. I love the sun and sunbathing, I know I will look like a wrinkled old prune when I am older but I won't care then. Give my a good book, a comfy sunbed and a nice bit of sunshine and I'm in heaven.

I sometimes use a bit of cream but not often and yes I do know the risks but as I am also a smoker its probably a question of which gets me first.
On the good side its good for my bones and a stress reliever as I enjoy it so much.

Today I spent 12 hours in the garden some of it in the shade. We had breakfast, lunch and tea out there sheer bliss felt like I was on holiday and best of all its free.

My son and his family stayed all weekend, my brother came round and the neighbours so a lovely social time. We put factor 30 on the grandkids and made them put tops on in the pool and they seem to be ok.

All in all a lovely weekend, just call me lizard.
Find all posts by this user
19-06-2005, 08:51 PM
Sunbathing
I love sunshine, but I can't lie out in it, after 10 mins I would get bored. I would rather be doing something, like swimming/surfing or walking on hols, but if I have my hat and P20 on I can cope with sitting out to eat etc.

I am gingery and pale so burn easily, but I love it, sunshine instantly puts me in a great mood and gives me bags of energy.

One thing that really gets to me is high humidity, like today...earlier we went to the coast and it was fab, but back in town the humidity was really oppressive...thank gawd for ive cold beer!

M

Intergalactic Space Cat

[Image: wildchild.jpg]
Home of Jimi, the Wild Child.
19-06-2005, 08:55 PM
Sunbathing
Marmoset Wrote:.....and P20 on I can cope with sitting out to eat etc.

P20! I use that and its fantastic stuff!

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
19-06-2005, 09:03 PM
Sunbathing
It is indeed Karenh...I really don't know how I managed without it before I discovered it!

I really hated having to slap oily or greasy sun lotion several times a day!
I have found its especially good for putting around the hairline and also on my parting, in case I forget my hat! as it isnt at all greasy and dosnt make your hair go all lank and horrible.

Its really worth the money as it a little goes a long way too...and its dirt cheap in the Canaries, so when we go to Fuerte we always stock up.

M

Intergalactic Space Cat

[Image: wildchild.jpg]
Home of Jimi, the Wild Child.
19-06-2005, 09:12 PM
Sunbathing
Even though I have olive skin, I can't stand sunbathing and I hate the hot weather. I used to sunbathe quite a bit, but even then found it really boring. I do think a tan makes a healthy glow, and don't mind my face getting a bit of colour on it.

I do worry about skin cancer and I watch my children closely. I don't worry about them too much as they both tan very very easily. Lissy refuses to go outside in her swimsuit without a t-shirt on top. So she will be ok.

As for Mr tiggs, he lobsterises very quickly. He suffers so bad, poor little soul.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sunbathing Figaro 20 2,381 13-06-2007 05:58 AM
Last Post: msgirl