Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sunday Morning and Religion
17-07-2005, 09:49 AM

I am quite into religion and spirituality at the moment. Looking with curiosity and interest and people who go to church and believe in something. Looking at my local paper last night, I read the church services page which featured: cathedrals, church of Ireland, presbyterian, lutheran, methodist, baptist, hall, christian science, chistadelphians, evangelical, unitarian, pentecostal and religious society of friends. Obviously, there is not a huge respresentation of world religions in this list (another thread). Anyway, I am hugely ignorant here. I dont know the differences between any of this list :bag: . Any helpful and knowledgable people out there?Big Grin

:boxing: Angel small steps lead to great things
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2005, 09:57 AM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2005 10:03 AM by survivorfan.)
I'm not sure how they compare with each other, but my view is that an organised religion is at best an approximation, and people may be drawn to what they see as a 'best fit' with their personal natures and religious feelings. One good thing that I see they all have is a bringing together of people, which many feel is the best way to worship. What I totally disagree with is the belief that any one religion is 'right', implying that the others have got it wrong.

Ps as it's Sunday morning now, why aren't you out there trying one of them!

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
17-07-2005, 01:29 PM
Blink's rough guide to denominations
(probably full of errors and inaccuracies, alas)

Cathedrals: normally very formal; either Anglican or Roman Catholic. Tend to be traditional (spoken liturgy, large choirs).

Church of Ireland: (no idea)

Presbyterian: typically Calivinsitic (after John Calvin, who preached salvation by God's grace - unmerited favour - alone, i.e. we cannot do anything to obtain salvation ourselves); favour the church ruling the state; into pre-destination (only those whom God chooses are saved); high degree of organisation, including 'courts'; ministers elected by congregations. Tend to be somewhat dogmatic (but then most denominations are in one way or another).

Lutheran: named after the influential German theologian Martin Luther; big conflict with Calvinism here - emphasis is on faith - i.e. we CAN do something to obtain salvation - having faith; Luther came out of the Catholic church, retaining some elements, but rejecting others. Again, very traditional churches, with lots of preaching and singing.

Methodist: follow the principles of John Wesley; systematic religion, following rules and methods (e.g., in strict Methodist congregations - no alcohol); generally less formal than the above denominations.

Baptist: as the name suggests, originally noted for their return to the doctrine of full immersion baptism; wide range of worship styles, from highly liturgical to free/Charismatic. Sometimes governed by one of the worldwide general assemblies, but usually ruled at a local level. Slightly dogmatic in some areas of faith.

Hall: possibly referring to 'Kingdom Hall', i.e. Jehovah's Witnesses. Not generally considered a Christian denomination, due in part to their typical belief that Christian in every other denomination have missed the point and are not saved. Believe in salvation through works - i.e. getting new converts helps you in the afterlife. Used to believe that only 144,000 people will make it to heaven, due to a misreading and misrendering of a text in Revelation. Frequently predict the end of the world, and undeniably get it wrong. Very protective of their own, and highly active proselytisers. Deny the doctrine of the Trinity. Insist on refering to God as "Jehovah" although pretty much all Hebrew scholars worldwide are of the view that this is a spurious rendering of the Tetragrammaton (YHWH) - the consonants used to represent the name of God in Old Testament times.

Christian Science: again, not usually considered a Christian denomination. Emphasise intellectual advancement, and deny the relevance of matter - matter only exists as something perceived by the spirit. Pain & illness can be conquered by a strong mind, etc. The writings of Mary Baker Eddy (the founder) are their authority. Do however focus on the teachings of Jesus (with their own particular view, denying his divinity). Very structured teaching.

Christadelphians: no ministers; deny the existence of Hell and the Trinity; conscientious objectors, and non-voters; deny the immortality of the soul; heavy focus on Bible prophecy; do not mingle with Christians, as a rule.

Evangelical: covers a wide range of different styles of worship; very confusing because you can have Evangelicals, Evangelical Charismatics, Evangelical Protestants, etc. Main ingredient is an emphasis on conversion and faith as the route to salvation (cf. Lutheranism).

Unitarian: liberal (i.e. loose interpretation of scriptures); believe all humans will be saved; very humanistic, with a dose of religion. Highly permissive (they would say 'tolerant'). Not Christian, since following Christ is not important to them - following conscience is.

Pentecostal: named after the Day of Pentecost, in the book of Acts, where believers were said to be filled with the Holy Spirit, and began to speak in other languages, and perform signs and wonders. Emphasis on the mirculous "gifts of the Spirit", and characterised by lively, free worship. (You are likely to find drums in such a church.)

Religious Society of Friends: (a.k.a. The Quakers) - initially much like the Pentecostals, known for their "quaking" under the influence of the Holy Spirit. Now more like the Unitarians. Quiet meditation/contemplation and the personal quest for enlightenment particularly emphasised.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-07-2005, 01:30 PM
survivorfan Wrote:What I totally disagree with is the belief that any one religion is 'right', implying that the others have got it wrong.
Arrogant, isn't it? The truth must be that no group is entirely correct, and most are 'correct' in some way or other.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
17-07-2005, 01:33 PM
Knew I could count on you Blink. Thanks for the snapshot!

17-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Church of Ireland is pretty similar to Scottish Episcopalian which is nearasdammit CoE.

My Sunday morning preference is The Archers.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
17-07-2005, 02:58 PM
Fee For All Wrote:My Sunday morning preference is The Archers.

:w00t: Never heard of that one myself, does it have some sort of cult following?

18-07-2005, 12:22 AM
ooooo noooooo!

It's part of our heritage :w00t:

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
18-07-2005, 08:07 AM
survivorfan Wrote:One good thing that I see they all have is a bringing together of people, which many feel is the best way to worship.

This is the reason I find religion a comfort. Feeling part of wider family, being a valued member of a Church with common aims and trying to be a good person is all very important to me and my family. And the second part of sf's post [which I haven't quote] I also agree with. And those who see this as the true are are misguided and arrogant and frankly wrong. All beliefs are valid, and all are to be respected. It is perhaps the ignorant who think otherwise??

When you posted this tonee, I was in Church leading the Family Service. This is a 'watered' down CoE service aimed at children, and I say 'watered' perhaps flippantly - what I mean is that the service, prayers, sermon and hymns are specifically aimed at the younger generation. Of course we still have a reading from the bible, but then this is explained as best we can so that small children can understand what is being said. Of course, because I am not ordained we cannot have communion - so this aspect is missing - but the general idea is faith based and informal.

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

18-07-2005, 09:05 AM
Flip Wrote:And those who see this as the true are are misguided and arrogant and frankly wrong.
Whilst I agree that we should not be arrogant about the beliefs we hold...

Flip Wrote:All beliefs are valid, and all are to be respected.
...I can't agree that all beliefs are valid. Some beliefs are self-contradictory. (e.g. Cultic claims of freedom, coupled with freedom-limiting brainwashing.) Some beliefs are morally repugnant and opressive. (e.g. Religious opression of women in some extreme forms of Islam, or the practice of cannibalism in certain tribal traditions.) I have to question their validity.

Flip Wrote:It is perhaps the ignorant who think otherwise??
I am obliged to admit that I AM ignorant, however.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Bloody Sunday Inquiry has cost £400million Groucho 17 6,601 17-07-2006 11:17 AM
Last Post: Isis
  Religion floopy 280 20,535 15-02-2005 07:33 PM
Last Post: Becks