16Joe Lewis £2,100m Finance
17Russell De Leon and Ruth Parasol £2,016m Internet gambling
18=Poju Zabludowicz £2,000m Property and hotels
18=Sean Quinn and family £2,000m Quarries, hotels and insurance
18=Simon Halabi £2,000m Property
21Nadhmi Auchi £1,995m Finance

You can see the full list here:
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/sectio...90,00.html

What amazed me was that I'd only heard of 3 of them! I was surprised that Sir Rich was so far up there, I knew he was rich, but not that rich!

Who are these people?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2006, 08:54 AM
Sunday Times Rich List
I can never ever do the maths with this sort of thing. ... and no apologies for this sounding like a broadcast on behalf of the pompous poor, but I just don't geddit. If there is all this money in teh world why is so much of the world in poverty, why are children dying for lack of clean water? why (even in this country) are children going without food and warmth.

the even distribution of wealth throughout the world is a naive hope but it just seems wrong wrong wrong when so few people have so much of it!

i know nothing will change, I'm sure many of these people do good things with part of their money ... I just find such obsence wealth depressing.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-12-2006, 09:04 AM
Sunday Times Rich List
I don't know who they are but the Rausings are doing alright - the kids alone at no12 are worth 2 1/2 billion through inheritance - nice one if you can get it.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
07-12-2006, 09:06 AM
Sunday Times Rich List
Well said Dol!

I don't know if this is personal wealth sitting bank account, or whether it's the value of their assets/businesses.

But even so, if you've got 14.8 billion quid, you're not going to miss the odd few million. It make the whole Children in Need thing feel quite pathetic - that millions of us are scratching around for a couple of spare quid to donate, or sitting in baths full of baked beans for days on end, when the top couple of people on the rich list probably earnt that much interest in a minute. :sad:

Bollox to potplants
07-12-2006, 09:16 AM
Sunday Times Rich List
Totally have to agree with Dol and Floops on this one. Why on earth do these people just sit on there money? I have no doubt they give to charity, but they could do lots more. It raises the question, the more money someone has, do they become more selfish? I know that is not the case with some people, but how do people live with themselves when there are people out there with zilch?

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
07-12-2006, 09:49 AM
Sunday Times Rich List
survivorfan Wrote:I don't know who they are but the Rausings are doing alright - the kids alone at no12 are worth 2 1/2 billion through inheritance - nice one if you can get it.

The Rausings are 'Tetrapak' (milk and juice cartons)

The whining some of you are doing is a bit annoying. If you read the profiles or did ANY background research you discover that most of that crowd give millions and millions a year. The Rausings for example gave £27.5m to charities last year alone. Many give and organise events for good causes. Many do it anonymously.

Bill Gates retires from Microsoft this year to enable him and his wife to pursue their child welfare charities in Africa. I think you'll find he's given a bob or two.
07-12-2006, 10:03 AM
Sunday Times Rich List
I'm not saying how much people should or shouldn't give to charity - that's a matter for everyone's personal discretion.

It's the balance of weath in the world that concerns me. So few people have so much money, and so many people are struggling to get even clean water. That just doesnt' seem right.

Bollox to potplants
07-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Sunday Times Rich List
Slipper Wrote:The Rausings are 'Tetrapak' (milk and juice cartons)

The whining some of you are doing is a bit annoying. If you read the profiles or did ANY background research you discover that most of that crowd give millions and millions a year. The Rausings for example gave £27.5m to charities last year alone. Many give and organise events for good causes. Many do it anonymously.

Bill Gates retires from Microsoft this year to enable him and his wife to pursue their child welfare charities in Africa. I think you'll find he's given a bob or two.

"whining" is a bit unfair, Slipper.

I realise that these people do give away a proportion of their wealth to charities and good causes. I still don't think it makes sense though. And without wishing to sound churlish some reasons for giving away money to charities is less altrustic that it looks at first sight, ie. tax reasons, publicity, stop someone else gettign the money. Of course I'm not taking anything away from these poor misunderstood rich people and their charity work - just saying there is an awful lot of money divided up between a few very rich people in this world.

Incidentally I give away approximately 1% of my monthly salary on Standing Order donatons to NSPCC, RSPCA and Oxfam one of the reasons being because I think we all need to give something back to society (however small) - oh and so I can have a clear conscience!
07-12-2006, 10:11 AM
Sunday Times Rich List
The balance of wealth has never and will never be level.

Not never, ever, for one moment in history has it been equal. That's just the way it is and will always be so no point complaining. It's like night following day.

As an aside, the Mittals live near me and a mate at work sometimes pops round to their house. Apparently a nice 'normal' family...albeit worth a smidge under 15billion.
07-12-2006, 10:15 AM
Sunday Times Rich List
I'm not complaining! I also said I realise I was being naive to think that these rich people could solve the world problems.

but it would be nice wouldn't it!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Urinating dentist struck off list Fee For All 3 707 06-04-2007 09:18 AM
Last Post: Dolores