Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supermarket Secrets
28-07-2005, 08:55 PM
Supermarket Secrets

I bought some really special handmade crisps in a barrel for me and Mr F to share tonight.

And then this came on the telly.

And felt, still do, sick to the pits of my stomach.

I was sickened, upset and horrified at the sights that greeted me. Thousands of baby chicks [little yellow balls of fluff - no more than 2 or 3 days old] being thrown off a conveyor belt thing down a big slide into their 'new home' a massive s.h.i.t infested barn. And oh god there was more and more of the horrifiying sights!

And people buy this meat - if it can be called that in supermarkets????????? I am disgusted - seriously peed off that this is allowed to happen. I thought everyone knew about Hock Burns and to avoid buying them at all costs??? Seemingly not - still people buy substandard meat at supermarkets. And ALL the big supermarkets are condoning this treatment of animals.

DON'T BUY MEAT FROM SUPERMARKETS - NOT ONLY IS IT KAK BUT THE ANIMALS [DESPITE THE PRETTY RED TRACTOR MARK] ARE STILL RAISED IN HORRIFIC & VILE CONDITIONS - AND AS ABOVE THE MEAT IS KAKKY TASTING AS A CONSEQUENCE - I would normally do a oooops Caps there - but no on this occasion I meant to!

God it makes me sick, really really sick!:glare:

Just stepping down from soap box - did anyone else see it - and if so what where your thoughts??

Sorry to rant like that - but I have one chicken that is over 6 years old and she still happily lays an egg a day and has done for nearly 6 years!! And I have 5 new brand new balls of yellow fluff that are busy destroying one of my herbacious borders - do I care?? What do you think??

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Supermarket Secrets
I see what you are saying Flip. And I agree cruelty to animals is abhorrent even if they are ultimately going to be eaten.

But at the same time I have neither the time, transport or money to go off round looking for prime cuts of meat and organically grown veg.

I avoid these programmes like the plague as i can be very ostrich like when it comes to somethings that I know I would be powerless to stop.

But as I said, Flip, I totally agree with you from an ethical point of view, but not from an economical point of view ... my economy is more important to me than my ethics in this situation.

But I do always buy free range eggs ... if that helps!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
28-07-2005, 09:06 PM
Supermarket Secrets
I saw it too Flippy. In fact I turned it off halfway through as it made me sick.

In the States, our family business was chicken farming. We had sixteen to twenty thousand birds in each house. We never treated the chicks like that. They were unloaded from boxes by hand. You have to treat them very gently as they are prone to heart attacks. We also walked through the houses each day and picked up the dead and the dying and took them to the dead wagon which was five miles down the road. Previous to the dead wagon being there, they were incinerated.

A practice I didn't enjoy was skip a day feeding. We raised pullets for egg layers, and therefore skipped days so they didn't grow so quick. But the chicken houses had to be kept dark during the skip day, otherwise chickens will quickly turn into cannibals.

The chickens we kept were really quite happy. I'm quite sensitive when it comes to animals and I really didn't see any cruelty in the way our chickens were kept.

But it has put me off from buying supermarket meat.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
29-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Supermarket Secrets
Ooops I did have a bit of a go up there didn't I?? Sorry. I appreciate that economy comes into it, honest I do - I am in the economy shopping situation here too. Maybe I am lucky cos my butcher comes to me - and to buy a whole chicken he charges roughly about a fiver - that is just over 4lbs in weight [ish], now that is a free range [not organic] bird.

But I implore anyone and everyone to check for Hock Burns - they are black/brown discolouration on the knees/knuckles of the legs of whole chickens. It just means that the bird has been bulked up on unnatural food stuffs, pumped full of antibiotics and therefore grown at an unnatural rate - so their poor 5 week old legs cannot hold their body weight of a 20+ week bird. And the bird has to flump down and is unable to walk - the Hock Burns are just that - they are burns from the acid in their poos that they sit in day and night for their whole lives!!! And it is very painful. If you see a supermarket chicken that has these - Don't Buy It - but tell the manager or whoever - that they should not be buying birds like that!!!

This will be the only way to force supermarkets to deal with scrupulous breeders - of which there are plenty. And not the unscrupulous ones who throw baby chickens onto the floor from a great height and feed them rubbish and then sell for massive profits.

29-07-2005, 10:31 PM
Supermarket Secrets
I heard about this program but missed it, I really wanted to watch it.

Didn't have the woman on who wrote "Shopped"?

I don't buy meat from the supermarket anymore, I use my local butcher in town and the meat is much better and actually doesn't cost that much different. I usually spend about a tenner a week on meat for us.

I really must start buying my fruit and veg from the market as well, but as the boys are older now, I don't get to use the buggy anymore and that was brilliant for bringing home all the shopping from town.

Maybe I should be like an old bag lady and use the buggy anyway, just empty on the way down and full of shopping on the way back:w00t:

[Image: 429.gif]
30-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Supermarket Secrets
I checked the chickens out in Tesco last night, and the majority of them had hockburns. They ought to be ashamed of themselves. I refuse now to buy meat at any supermarket. It makes me feel sick.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
30-07-2005, 09:31 AM
Supermarket Secrets
Well done you Tggs [my 'eye' key s stuck so 'eye' can't use t - please bear wth me?]

As eye was sayng well done you Tggs - dd you notce anyone else checkng for Hock Burns?? As you were dong t yourself? Eye actually feel lke makng sngs and stckng them on the fresh chcken shelves sayng 'LOOK FOR HOCK BURNS AND DON'T BUY THS MEAT - THE ANMAL HAS SUFFERED!!!'

30-07-2005, 10:18 AM
Supermarket Secrets
Flip Wrote:'LOOK FOR HOCK BURNS AND DON'T BUY THS MEAT - THE ANMAL HAS SUFFERED!!!'

Flip all the chickens in the co-op had these burns on them. I've never heard of hock burns till I watched this program. Actually I never by whole chickens to cook but was just looking out of curiosity.
I also spent a long time choosing my eggs. I've been buying columbus free range for a while but I don't know that free range is always as good as it sounds. I hovered over organic free range too and their wording on the box seemed to make it a lot clearer that the hens were free to roam in a nice open environment rather than free to roam in above average space which i think is the law. I still went for the columbus as there must be some justification for the price being double that of non free range columbus, but I'm going to try look into it a bit further
Pricey- yes. Columbus free range were £1.40 ish and organic free range were £1.59 but co-op is expensive anyway. As I buy eggs once every two weeks its not a factor, but I understand why people would chose to buy the cheaper eggs. The lowest priced eggs in the co-op were 79p and had "from caged hens" written across the front.
I hated seeing those chicks on the conveyer belt. And the way those hens were all thrown in on top of each other was sickening, poor things being trampled to death and their skinny legs breaking under the pressure of their pumped up bodies
I'm not eating a great deal of meat these days anyway as I'm put off by anything from supermarkets and the local butcher doesn't do lean minced beef and is only open 3 days.
I've heard there is a meat van that visits a farm shop a few miles away. It's for two hours on a saturday unfortunately I'm always elsewhere but keep meaning to make an effort to see what it is like.

The winner says it may be difficult but it is possible; the loser says it may be possible but it is too difficult
:yahoo: He's here!
30-07-2005, 10:55 AM
Supermarket Secrets
Flip - remember a thread Cockney had a few months back - we were discussing this.

It is shocking, and upsetting but as Dol said earlier, it is not always possible to stick to what we know we should do!

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
30-07-2005, 11:26 AM
Supermarket Secrets
Thanks for that link fee. I think if more people showed an interest in eating the healthier animal friendly meat then I'm sure that farmers and producers would rise to the challenge and we'd see more farm shops and delivery services popping up.
I do live in the country but I don't know or know how to find out about such services. There is a farm shop that I pass on my way home from work, I only knew it was there because they have a big sign on the road, thing is I wasn't that impressed with their range of fruit and veg, it all looked a bit past it.
This is the shop that the meat van visits every saturday.
If I could buy from a butcher such as the one featured on that program the other night and be 100% sure that the animal had not suffered one bit, I would happily pay extra no doubt. Actually his meat was in most cases cheaper!
I'm wondering if this program going out on Thursday as anything to do with a phone call at work on friday asking me if I could do a sulphur dioxide test on a salad. I’ve never done a preservative test on a salad before!
Actually our work load has increased since the Jamie Oliver program, we've had a few schools contact us to test their dinners as they don't believe the manufacturer, and some of the big producers of deep fried potato "things" seemed to be changing their recipes weekly and the request for fat and salt content have gone through the roof. I'm sure they'll think of something else to fill in the gaps

The winner says it may be difficult but it is possible; the loser says it may be possible but it is too difficult
:yahoo: He's here!