Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Survivors
01-12-2008, 05:24 PM
Survivors

Is anyone watching this? Its not bad, I remember the first one in 1975 and that made more of an impact on me. These days I look at these programmes and pick fault in them, I think I am turning into my dad.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Survivors
The first one was good at the time, wasn't it Maz, though by the last series I sort of lost interest.

I'm finding the current tale of multiple death a nice bit of light relief from all the Cr*d*t Cr*nch stuff that's everywhere.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
01-12-2008, 10:48 PM
Survivors
I love a good disaster scenario. I hear they are remaking Day of the Triffids, I wonder how that will turn out.

I read DOTT at School, we were only supposed to read a chapter at a time and then discuss. I got so into it I read it in a night using a torch under my bedclothes as mum had switched our light out. I also read On the Beach by Neville Shute at about the same time, scared the living daylights out of me but I loved it.
02-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Survivors
The Day of the Triffids scared the shyte out of me!

I never read the book, but when I was a small kid there was a TV series of it. I loved it, but it made me afraid to use our back garden for months because we had a big bush/plant thing at the bottom of the garden which kinda looked like a Triffid.

I wonder what I'd think of DOTT now though? It scared the life out of me as a little 'un, but I'm guessing it'd probably seem quite tame now that I'm older.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Survivors
I loved the first survivor series - my mum loved sci-fi and we had a ball watching it together and discussing how we'd cope with defending our neighbourhood if a disaster happened, finding safe water, protecting livestock, reviving the land and growing crops and turning stuff in fields into bread , and how good we'd be (or not) at killing.

bam bam
02-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Survivors
What a S#!++£R if you were in Japan though

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=105&sid=1505824
[b]Toilet shortage feared in case of big Tokyo quake [/b]

October 28, 2008 - 4:21pm
By MARI YAMAGUCHI
Associated Press Writer

TOKYO (AP) - Japan's disaster prevention panel said nearly a million people would be unable to find a toilet if a major earthquake were to hit Tokyo on a weekday.
The panel studied a simulation of a magnitude-7.3 quake striking Tokyo at noon on a workday and found it would send 12 million people spilling from their offices.
The report also said 7 million people would be unable to return home and 4.6 million would be forced to seek public shelter.
"Toilet shortage not only makes (quake survivors') lives unpleasant, but causes hygiene and health problems," said the report issued Monday.
The report said 810,000 people would be desperately looking for a toilet within hours of such a major quake, even if half of the public facilities remained intact.
Although officials tend to focus on providing food and water after a disaster, toilet needs should get more attention, said Masaya Takahashi, a Cabinet official in charge of disaster prevention.
Officials have plans to make toilets available at schools, convenience stores, gas stations and other public facilities, but the report urged further effort.

The ironic thing about life is that no one gets out alive...Huh
02-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Survivors
I don't remember the orginial but I am enjoying the remake.

[SIZE="3"]ils - Member of SO since August 2001![/SIZE]
02-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Survivors
Yeah, Ive got into it too. Even Mr.B is enjoying it, and he generally hates all dramas.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
02-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Survivors
Tigereye Wrote:I loved the first survivor series - my mum loved sci-fi and we had a ball watching it together and discussing how we'd cope with defending our neighbourhood if a disaster happened, finding safe water, protecting livestock, reviving the land and growing crops and turning stuff in fields into bread , and how good we'd be (or not) at killing.

me too! for me it was a landmark series. In fact when "survivor" first came out I thought it was a remake of this show!

I remember me and my friend Heather White endlessly discussing how we would cope when everything had run out - and as we were about 12 probably how we would pinch all the sweeties out of the shops!!!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...