Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swindeled!
13-10-2005, 06:27 PM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2005 06:30 PM by PJ.)
Swindeled!

Inspired by Crit's 'Duvetgate' tale.

Have you ever been swindled out of money or anything?
Share your stories here.

Personally I haven't.

However, my older sister used to go out with this scrounging little rat who quite frankly I couldn't stand the minute she brought him home. He always had no money despite having a part time job in a call centre (the same one I used to work in incidently) and she used to pay for their nights out and everything with the promise of she would "get it all back soon".
The worst was when he wanted to go away on a lad's holiday with his friends but didn't have enough money. My sister, who admits she was stupid at the time, loaned him £500 and off he went.
When he returned (not even with a present for her or anything) he never mentioned anything about the money until she always brought it up. But he always had excuses.
Anyway, it didn't work out and they split up before he had paid her back. And then he just refused point blank to pay her.
My dad was constantly phoning his house and mobile and we even went to his door a few times but couldn't contact him at all.
I even saw him in a club once with another girl not long after they split up and when he saw me he bolted out of the club.
The last we heard, his parents had kicked him out and he is now in London. So I doubt she will ever see a penny of her money.
I also loaned him "The Sims" computer game which I never saw again. Pratt.

Now onto story number two. A couple of years ago, my parents saw an ad in out local paper about this fitness instructor who was opening up a new gym in our town and she wanted people to join.
So, my parents went and signed up along with lots of other people. I can't remember how much the membership was but the next day the woman had done a runner with everyone's cash! There was a big thing made about it in our local paper. I found it quite funny actually.

So, anyone else got any stories to share?

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2005, 07:11 PM
Swindeled!
Not really no PJ. We are not so stupid here in England.
13-10-2005, 07:12 PM
Swindeled!
I once sponsered a whale.

It sounded great in the blurb, and i really felt that i would be doing something to help this noble creature.
Needless to say it was a scam.
It's not so much the money, more the embarrasment of it all.Blush

[INDENT]

[/INDENT]
Find all posts by this user
13-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Swindeled!
secrets Wrote:I once sponsered a whale.

It sounded great in the blurb, and i really felt that i would be doing something to help this noble creature.
Needless to say it was a scam.
It's not so much the money, more the embarrasment of it all.Blush

LARF
13-10-2005, 07:51 PM
Swindeled!
this thread has cheered you right up hasn't it Cat!

I'm happy for that, I like a cheery Cat!

Alas I have never been swindled and so have no stories to share. I've just been watching Rogue Traders and it is jaw dropping the way these cowboys are swindling people.

I did have a bloke come to look at my gas boiler once and said it would cost £500 upwards to get a new one cos it was completely blown and dangerous. Luckily I got a second opinion, he fixed it for under £40 and I never had a problem with it again!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
13-10-2005, 08:32 PM
Swindeled!
I have tips here Dolores.

If someone phones you, not returning your call...and especialy if they can't pronounce your name...you tell them to p!ss off, or just put the phone down - what ever they have to say will not be of interest. If it was a genuine call they will call back.

Any letters not answering a letter previously written are a swizz.

You get nought for nought..simple.

I repeat..

You get nought for nought
13-10-2005, 08:40 PM
Swindeled!
I once handed over some cash to some foreign blokes (I was in a foreign country) for them to get me some smokable substances, they wouldn't let me come with them to the place they were getting it from as it was all very hush hush. So I had to wait at the bus stop. And I waited and waited............. :shutup:

The winner says it may be difficult but it is possible; the loser says it may be possible but it is too difficult
:yahoo: He's here!
13-10-2005, 09:08 PM
Swindeled!
Cool Smoke bob...
14-10-2005, 10:08 AM
Swindeled!
I swindled Halfords once, but i cant remember the details.

Im not proud of myself .... i think i made about £20 on that deal :ninja:

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
14-10-2005, 11:18 AM
Swindeled!
I got swindled by a old friend of my brother - the git.

Years ago after a long spell of unemployment I became eligable for a scheme called 'Back to Work Allowance'.

Basically, to get me off the unemployment figures they would reduce my dole by a third the first year, half the second etc, and using that money they would pay an employer to subsidise my wages.

My bro's mate was opening a pizza place and signed forms to say he would employ me, he received a cheque for over a thousand pounds, MY MONEY, and didn't open the pizza parlour.

He wouldn't give me my money back. He kept saying the cheque was from an employer's incentive scheme, made out to him, and tough luck. I told the social but by the time they got around to investigating him he'd relocated to London.

He was back home for christmas last year and was in my local and he was all - HI!!! How are You Doing?!!

I couldn't look at him. Even 20 years later it still rankles.....

bam bam
Find all posts by this user