Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TV in Singapore
21-10-2005, 07:15 AM
TV in Singapore

Been here a few days now. Don't have most UK programming, but some of the US origin favourites are here.

I managed to catch Lost here in Singapore last night. Turned out it was the first episode of the second series. The good news is that the first episode is a pretty well put together 1-hour summary of the entire first series. It misses out all the personal stories of course, and a lot of the character building, but has a narration going on along with all the keys scenes that sets the story for Series two.

So I assume this is how Series two will start in the UK too, so when the next series gets going, anyone who has missed a lot of the first series can catch up and get going on the program pretty quickly - might be worth bearing in mind if you want anyone who isn't watching it get hooked pretty quickly!

On the flipside, Desperate housewives is still in the first series here (still good to see it again though - the one where Bree learns hubby is into S&M).

Survivor Guatemala on tonight, which looks like its in the early stages. A couple of others like Amazing Race and Fear Factor I've yet to get into, but look fun.

Saw "Next Action Hero" yesterday which was tripe. 14 aspiring action heros going through elimination rounds to win a part in some cheap action movie. Horribly plastic characters, ugh.
Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2005, 07:22 AM
TV in Singapore
good to hear from yuo Sayang! The power of the internet throughout the globe is such that I forget you are in Singapore!

You are lucky getting survivor ... is the UK the only country that can't see what a fab programme that is?! why do they think we want to see endless cookery, house and holiday programmes? all we want is Survivor!

Is it the american one Sayang? Or do Singapore have their own version?

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-10-2005, 08:28 AM
TV in Singapore
Hiya Sayang!

Are you on holiday there? If so I am sitting here very green faced,I love SP and am getting withdrawal symptoms as it's nearly a year since I was last there. I admit to watching little other than movies on their TV as most is Malayan or Chinese and very basic, however, I wasn't in the hotel much, so many places to go to and things to do there.

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~
Find all posts by this user
21-10-2005, 08:58 AM
TV in Singapore
I'm only here for about 5 weeks while Mr. S. decides where he is going to be working, so next month I may be reporting in from Indonesia, China, or Japan, we have to see yet.

The internet is strange here. The forst hotel we stayed in they said it had wireless internet, but my laptop couldn't receive it for some reason, so I had to buy a Linksys Wireless-G 2.4 GHz little box that you plug into the USB outlet, and bingo, it started working. Then when we changedto a serviced apartment for a month, we were told we had to sign up with a local provider etc etc, but when we turned the laptop on, we found we had access to 4 wireless networks! I have no idea where they are from, or why we have access, but its very strange just to turn the laptop on and be connected without being plugged in anywhere......

ok, back to TV, yes the Survivor is the US one. I heard they did a Singapore one some time ago, but haven't seen it and can't be sure about it. The TV is quite limited here, there are about 6 or 7 channels, but one is Malay, one or two Chinese, and really only one with mainly US programs on that seems to be pretty good in that there are a few interesting programs each day - so not too bad. We can buy VCDs here for about 1.50 pounds each too, so we can plough through some movies when there is no TV.

Just about everything here in Singapore is cheaper than the UK. With the following exceptions: beer in pubs expensive (cigs cheaper), some things in supermarket, but lots things cheaper too. Still exploring though.