Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tact
01-04-2005, 08:19 PM
Tact

I work in an insurance office & my old boss was a friend from another insurance company we worked for & we worked very well together.

I now have a new boss, in effect, the team leaders have swapped round a bit for them to gain experience of new disciplines in insurance. My new boss is very nice & I get on with her very well but there are certain systems that she has implemented that, to me, do not work well within our department.

I have observed that she has come to our department to make her mark and she has a bit of a rivalry going with my previous boss - I think she wants to show that she can organise us better cos there is a lot of work at the mo & we are in a bit of a mess.

My problem is that my fellow team mates have appointed me as their spokesperson to bring up with her the systems we don't think are working. Their reasoning behind this is that I'm known for speaking my mind & just telling it like it is but I don't think that approach will work this time. She is very protective of her ideas but I have little patience for going round the houses to say what I mean.

So please could I have suggestions from some of the more tactful members of the board as to how I could say 'these new systems aren't working & we should change them & this is what we should do' in a tactful & less negative manner.

Much appreciated.

I'm usually thin & gorgeous - today is my day off
http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/egg03063.gif
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2005, 08:27 PM
Tact
I'm not alwyas known for my tact :devil: , but I;ve always found the best way to bring people round to my way of thinking at work is to praise the good bits of the current system whilst coming up with better, workable solutions to the current problems.

No-one likes criticism, but if you can present her with a proposal that:

a) keeps her ideas as the basis on the plan
b) shows her that you've got the interests of the company at heart
c) means everyone works togoether to a common aim

without involving confrontational or direct criticism, she'll more than likely see the benefits for everyone. After all, if she's the team leader, she should still be able to take some of the glory for a successful idea, whilst proving that she is encouraging her staff to work together to promote effectiveness as a team, plus gaining the support of her team by taking notice of thier suggestions.

Bollox to potplants
Find all posts by this user
01-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Tact
Well Floops for a person who personally says she is not known for her tact - that is a splendid plan.

Jaycee I am pretty tactful and diplomatic and I cannot really add to Floops suggestions.

You see what you have to achieve is peace on both sides. So you have to look at what each side needs. Your new boss, seems to need her schemes to work, your colleagues need a system that is peacable and to get out of the 'mes' you are in.

So you have to work out:

a] what is the most important [ie her 'ideas' or the business?]
b] then who is the most 'at risk' [her or your colleagues, inc. you]
c] and primarily - what is best for the company

Then you will have to formulate the best approach - this is obviously where your dilemma comes in? Is it possible to anologise with her?? I know this is going round the houses a bit - but it gets the message across quite quickly.

But back to Floops plan - build her self-esteem up, introduce her idea's with teensy changes [that will benefit all], work out how best to say these things as though they were her ideas [it is difficult to know exactly what to say when I don't know the problems].

Is that any help?

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

01-04-2005, 09:05 PM
Tact
I will try all suggestions made. She is a lovely lady but has come from a very quiet department to ours which is manic on a good day. Her ideas would be sound if we were more up to date than we are, they would in fact work very well but while we are as backlogged as we are, they just do not work.

She has come to the dept to prove she can 'sort us out' I think & is only just realising the scale of her job.

I'm usually thin & gorgeous - today is my day off
http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/egg03063.gif
02-04-2005, 02:52 PM
Tact
Floopy and Flippy both make good suggestions. Good luck Jaycee and I hope you pull it off.

Maybe you could emphasise that the plan would work if the situation were different to make her feel good, then discuss how you could achieve that goal as a team.
02-04-2005, 03:16 PM
Tact
I don't understand why you have to act as "spokesperson" jaycee - I think you are going to end up being labelled as a troublemaker, which is why your colleagues want you to do this. From what you've said about being outspoken, it's going to be very easy for the mud to stick.

I don't think you should do it on your own at all. Is there any reason why you can't have a team meeting and discuss it between you? I have fallen foul of this "spokesperson" thing before - I've spoken for the others, then when the boss has gone mad they've all backed off and refused to admit they said anything in the first place! :mad2:
02-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Tact
I agree with Ceri. If you are the sole spokesperson, you run the risk of being left out in the cold if it all goes the way of the pear.

Take someone in with you and discuss between the two of you how you are going to approach it, but make sure you have a plan.

I also agree with Flip and Floops to "accentuate the positives" first and then make suggestions.

If she still doesn't budge, wee in her tea. :devil:
Find all posts by this user