Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tales of a breakdown........
16-04-2006, 09:36 PM

of the mechanical kind. We had an episode today, which I thought I would share with you all.

Coming back from Mr P's sister's today, over the bridge, through the Dartford toll. Pulling away from the toll, something snaps and the gear stick goes all wobbly. Now, ordinarily I would expect Mr P to throw said wobbly, but he was remarkably cool. We were in the outside lane, so managed to pull over to the central reservation. A motorcycle traffic officer was there within minutes, who informed us that another car had broken down actually on the bridge. One of Cat's worst nightmares! We called Green Flag (who said they would be with us within 50 minutes), but in the meantime the aforementioned Officer had arranged for a recovery truck to collect us and move us somewhere safer. Well, my youngest was beside himself with excitement by this point and my eldest pointed out to the couple from the other car that he had been in a recovery truck once before, but was in my tummy at the time! Bless. The Officer waited at our rear with his bike until the recovery truck arrived, which the other couple and their car, and towed us away safely to the exit of the M25 and the Crossing Control car park.

Whilst waiting for Green Flag's appointed agent, another very nice traffic officer arranged for someone from the Crossing Control office to drive me (all of 30 seconds away) to the ladies, wait for me and bring me back. When I returned, our recover truck arrived at EXACTLY 50 minutes after the initial phone call. Apparently they give priority to cars carrying children. So they do have their uses. :laugh:

Cut a long story short, we were back home an hour and a half after the initial breakdown, which I think is fantastic and a testament to the emergency services involved.

Mr P gave our driver a tenner for his trouble (get him, flash git).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2006, 11:10 PM
Patsy Wrote:of the mechanical kind. We had an episode today, which I thought I would share with you all.

Coming back from Mr P's sister's today, over the bridge, through the Dartford toll. Pulling away from the toll, something snaps and the gear stick goes all wobbly. Now, ordinarily I would expect Mr P to throw said wobbly, but he was remarkably cool. We were in the outside lane, so managed to pull over to the central reservation. A motorcycle traffic officer was there within minutes, who informed us that another car had broken down actually on the bridge. One of Cat's worst nightmares! We called Green Flag (who said they would be with us within 50 minutes), but in the meantime the aforementioned Officer had arranged for a recovery truck to collect us and move us somewhere safer. Well, my youngest was beside himself with excitement by this point and my eldest pointed out to the couple from the other car that he had been in a recovery truck once before, but was in my tummy at the time! Bless. The Officer waited at our rear with his bike until the recovery truck arrived, which the other couple and their car, and towed us away safely to the exit of the M25 and the Crossing Control car park.

Whilst waiting for Green Flag's appointed agent, another very nice traffic officer arranged for someone from the Crossing Control office to drive me (all of 30 seconds away) to the ladies, wait for me and bring me back. When I returned, our recover truck arrived at EXACTLY 50 minutes after the initial phone call. Apparently they give priority to cars carrying children. So they do have their uses. :laugh:

Cut a long story short, we were back home an hour and a half after the initial breakdown, which I think is fantastic and a testament to the emergency services involved.

Mr P gave our driver a tenner for his trouble (get him, flash git).

Probably something to do with the mix of the air once you'd moved into Kent.......:mellow:

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
17-04-2006, 03:19 AM
My worst fear is breaking down as I travel from the Northern most part of MS to the Southern most part of MS on a fairly regular basis. It's 5 to 5.5 hours depending on my wee stops and there are some loooooong stretches and I'm scared that that's where the inbred, "Deliverance" types live. Gives me chills. Luckily I can *HP on my cell and hope that the MS State Trooper that follows me normally when I have no trouble is not at the donut shop if I'm in need!!:unsure:

I guess I'm Cornish...:unsure:
17-04-2006, 10:20 AM
Groucho Wrote:Probably something to do with the mix of the air once you'd moved into Kent.......:mellow:

Yes, that might explain how Mr P's maintained such an even temper. Smile

Jen, just ensure you eat some of Cat's chilli recipe one to two days before your trip and the natives won't come anywhere near you. :thumbsup:
17-04-2006, 05:33 PM
Patsy, that was a really dull tale, I was waiting for an explosion or a robbery or a intergalactic invasion...but no.

:rain:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-04-2006, 05:34 PM
PS Can I just point out here once and for all that the chilli I made was from a recipe that BUZZ gave me.

frigginey frigginery frigginery.
17-04-2006, 05:38 PM
Well that would explain the wind then. [SIZE="0"]prrrrp[/SIZE]

A dull tale it may be :glare:, but some people may have similar stories which they may like to impart.

We can't all hold everyone riveted with stories like "look at my sunflowers" or "which seeds shall I plant today", can we? :nerd:
17-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Patsy Wrote:A dull tale it may be :glare:, but some people may have similar stories which they may like to impart.

We can't all hold everyone riveted with stories like "look at my sunflowers" or "which seeds shall I plant today", can we? :nerd:

Yes we can and you will be welcome when I start it, I might point out that you are dull here and there but I'm sure you are hard enough to take it.

:bye: :fireman: :wub:
17-04-2006, 05:53 PM
Of course I am. You know criticism goes right over my head because I'm so unused to receiving any. Smile

I shall only join in your gardening threads to taunt and deride, but you won't mind, will you?

:bored: Sleepy :pooh: :rain:

Now, where's my cross-stitch?
17-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Cat Wrote:PS Can I just point out here once and for all that the chilli I made was from a recipe that BUZZ gave me.

frigginey frigginery frigginery.
Eh? What recipie? when did I give it to you? :mellow:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Tales of rejection Dolores 11 1,688 19-03-2007 05:41 PM
Last Post: Fee For All
  Short True Tales.... Coastie 13 1,296 14-06-2005 06:12 PM
Last Post: Bob
  Tales of a Train Toilet! ils 7 893 08-06-2005 07:18 PM
Last Post: Andrea