Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bible
17-10-2005, 04:25 PM
The Bible

Having just read the 100 minute Bible and reading now a few books about the Bible, oh and collecting Bibles too (its Bible month round these parts) I wonder what folks personal opinion and knowledge was about the book (or 66 books)? have you read any of it, what do think is, have you got one?

I dont mean do you believe in it as I don't really think it is a relevant or correct question. 100 points deducted for anyone who starts on the "religion kills more people than...yada yada" trip.

**I heart Northern Soul**
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2005, 04:36 PM
The Bible
I've read it many times, pulled it apart, put it back together again, it's pulled me apart, put me back together again, and at the end of it all I can say is that I know less about it than I ever did. But the contents of that book have changed my life completely. For the better.

My all time favourite snatch of prose is in there. Ecclesiastes 3:11 - "He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end."

I love the bit, He has made everything beautiful in its time. Fabulous.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
17-10-2005, 05:39 PM
The Bible
I read my bible all the time...but I am absolutely pants at remembering any key chapters other than the really well known ones and even then I struggle to recall the exact reference...but that's just me...scatter brain!

I find it guide, an encouragement and some of the stories of what went on are pretty darn exciting! :w00t:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
17-10-2005, 06:43 PM
The Bible
The first time I was absolutely engrossed by the Bible was when I read the version written in Scots. For some reason, that made it very accessible. I love the Beatitudes. I am absolutely no expert on any version though.

:boxing: Angel small steps lead to great things
Find all posts by this user
17-10-2005, 11:55 PM
The Bible
IsLe Of WeAtHeR Wrote:Having just read the 100 minute Bible and reading now a few books about the Bible, oh and collecting Bibles too (its Bible month round these parts) I wonder what folks personal opinion and knowledge was about the book (or 66 books)? have you read any of it, what do think is, have you got one?

I dont mean do you believe in it as I don't really think it is a relevant or correct question. 100 points deducted for anyone who starts on the "religion kills more people than...yada yada" trip.

HELLO ISLE OF WEATHER,

HAS THE WEATHER BEEN GOOD TODAY WHERE YOU ARE?

I have personally never read the 100 minute bible. But I used to read my Bible and in addition small religious publications with readings and subjects for debate, as a teenager I was an active member of my school christian union. Today, I will occassionally read it still, but would not describe myself as a religious person.

I personally believe that to be a good person does not require the statutory reading of any given text, especially since it is open to questionable translation and interpretation from one or more ancient and extinct languages into todays more modern languages of German French Dutch Chinese English etc. (The languages are too numerous to mention) As a book it may or may not be a good thing to read and except as a complete truth or exacting record of religious and historical events, on this subject I seriously recommend you read JOHN ROMER's TESTAMENT. THE BIBLE AND HISTORY. A Channel four book. Published by Guild in 1988.Furthermore, it has been the most well published book and most read book of all religious texts.

I confess I don't know what you mean by bible month but I assume rightly or wrongly that there is a religious convention of some sort taking place. Keswick in Cumbria used to get yearly religious convention in the summer, and I admit many a good holiday was spent with these people.( I also broke my ankle having frolics with a boy, I had a serious crush on and gained my first grass stains with a member of this bunch.)

Also which may be of interest to you are the helpful notes given sometimes at the back of some Bibles. But this may well depend on your own personal level of interest.The 1957 licensed version granted by W R MILLIGAN , for publication to COLLINS' CLEAR TYPE PRESS of THE AUTHORISED KING JAMES VERSION has some extremly interesting notes in the appendices, looking at language, history and translation.and again looking at how the Bible has come to us historically THE REVISED STANDARD VERSION Edited by JOHN STIRLING For THE BRITISH AND FOREIGN BIBLE SOCIETY 1967, has a detailed preface and time chart line of the development of the bible from the 3rd Century BC.(Before Christ, A.D anno domini after christ.)

Whatever it is you are looking for I hope you find it. :book:

Maureen
Northern angel
18-10-2005, 12:02 AM
The Bible
IsLe Of WeAtHeR Wrote:Having just read the 100 minute Bible and reading now a few books about the Bible, oh and collecting Bibles too (its Bible month round these parts) I wonder what folks personal opinion and knowledge was about the book (or 66 books)? have you read any of it, what do think is, have you got one?

Hi Isle of Weather

Quick note. 66 books. Mm If all manuscripts were included the number of books would exceed 200. Of the missing from translation books is the artifacts and writings of Mary of Magdella.

Curious fact, one of the north easts greatest researchers, hIstorians, philosopher and Theologian is MR MELVYN BRAGG. Check out any of his publications and i'm certain this might help you in your quest.

Maureen
Northern angel
18-10-2005, 08:00 AM
The Bible
Northern angel Wrote:I personally believe that to be a good person does not require the statutory reading of any given text
What reference point are you using to define "good"?

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
18-10-2005, 10:31 AM
The Bible
Blink - sorry to pop in here, since you were asking the question of another poster - but are you possibly suggesting that moral values (good/bad etc) can only be obtained from the Bible?

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
18-10-2005, 10:39 AM
The Bible
survivorfan Wrote:are you possibly suggesting that moral values (good/bad etc) can only be obtained from the Bible?
No.

18-10-2005, 02:11 PM
The Bible
I've read the Bible 3X and know the books and can locate most scriptures pretty quickly, but alas I'm am an agnostic. I was very involved with church and prayer and the Bible up until 10 years ago. I just have always had the agnostic thing in my mind as long as I can remember but I WANT to be 'proven' that there is something there. I have respect and admiration for people of faith and but I'm not one . But I have HOPE so I'm not quite an atheist...

I guess I'm Cornish...:unsure: