Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Great North Run...
18-09-2005, 09:24 AM
The Great North Run...

Just been watching the build up to the start of the Great North Run. Everytime a televised long distance race comes up I get all fired up and say to myself "I'm gonna do that next time"!! Of course I never do, and the next year comes round with all the same thoughts ... it's kinda like a tradition!

Who else gets all fired up on the arm chair to take part in these charity runs etc?

I also love to see Brendan Foster ... I used to have such a crush on this guy when i was about 13! ... and whilst he's older, greyer and paunchier he's lost none of his charm for me! :wub:

[Image: bfoster.jpg]

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2005, 11:41 AM
The Great North Run...
I have done the Race for Life several times - did two of them this year. Funnily, I was talking to my Grandson on MSN Messenger this morning - he lives in Shields, and we have decided we are going to do it together in 2007 when he will have just had his 17th (and qualifying age) birthday.

We will see! :shocking:

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~
Find all posts by this user
18-09-2005, 12:04 PM
The Great North Run...
Dolores Wrote:Just been watching the build up to the start of the Great North Run. Everytime a televised long distance race comes up I get all fired up and say to myself "I'm gonna do that next time"!! Of course I never do, and the next year comes round with all the same thoughts ... it's kinda like a tradition!

Who else gets all fired up on the arm chair to take part in these charity runs etc?

Oh I'm the same.
I think about starting running when I see these things on TV and think I can do that if I train properly.

Then that's about as far as it goes unfortunately.

[Image: 429.gif]
18-09-2005, 06:22 PM
The Great North Run...
Apparently 4 men died taking part in this today :ohmy:

(See BBC article here)

Should there be more stringent health checks before people are allowed to take part in events like this?

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
18-09-2005, 07:08 PM
The Great North Run...
thanks for that link, Rob.

i was shocked when it said that four died this year instead of the usual one or two! :shocking: ... I had no idea. Quite shocking.

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
18-09-2005, 07:09 PM
The Great North Run...
I am actually not surprised to hear that Rob. I saw some of the interviews being given prior to the race start, and a few said they had done no training at all. You cannot go into something like that without having the ability to run at least 10 miles every other day. Too many think it's easy, well it's not, it's dammed hard even for an athletic pro, and respect to the race should be shown.

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Football great Emlyn Hughes dies ils 8 1,743 11-11-2004 06:19 PM
Last Post: Mashed