Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Incredible Journey of Mary Bryant
18-04-2006, 10:04 AM

Anyone see this? Thought it was marvellous the way 17th century half starved convicts looked so well, with nice healthy complexions, shiny hair and lovely white even teeth.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2006, 01:59 PM
MariaRob Wrote:Anyone see this? Thought it was marvellous the way 17th century half starved convicts looked so well, with nice healthy complexions, shiny hair and lovely white even teeth.

Yeah, and don't forget how they shaved every day, even when adrift at sea for months and managed to get a haircut too Wink

Still, looking past all that I did enjoy it and thought it was very sad too :cry:
18-04-2006, 03:01 PM
It was very sad when her children died, I didn't even see the first part but I still cried!

Do you know though in those days it was the upper class who had rotten teeth as they could afford to eat things with sugar in them. Sugar was very expensive so the lower classes couldn't afford it, so therefore their teeth were probably in better condition than those with money!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-04-2006, 09:42 AM
Was it a true story?What did she do?Why was she deported?Stole a slice of bread or something?

'Come away, oh human child, to the waters and the wild.With a fairy hand in hand...for the world is more full of weeping than you will understand.........'
19-04-2006, 05:59 PM
I didn't see this but my elderly colleague (63 yrs) did regale me with every bleedin' detail of it ... I thought if that old git says "lo and behold" one more time I will deport myself!

(cos he kept saying "lo and behold" ... in case you were wondering!!)

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-04-2006, 06:45 PM
http://www.geocities.com/eschiva/bryant.html - 5k - Cached -

Try looking here Aondeaq I googled Mary Bryant and found this. I also looked at First Fleet very interesting sites about the voyages.
20-04-2006, 07:34 AM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2006 07:42 AM by Aondeag.)
Oh thanks for that..I will have a look.
I remember having to study the deportations when we were in school.It was desperately sad.Some people were deported just for stealing to feed their starving families.
It was just cruel.
In Penal times they used to send young teenagers as slaves to the new colonies too:Basically kidnap them and round them up and ship them off to work on the plantations in the States.
The kids or their families had absolutely no say in it.Shocking!

'Come away, oh human child, to the waters and the wild.With a fairy hand in hand...for the world is more full of weeping than you will understand.........'