Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Jury ... 12 good men (or women) and true...
25-08-2005, 12:53 PM

So do you have faith in the British Justice system? What are the flaws, if any?

... or do you think Dolores is trying to hard to post up stuff that may provoke debate?! d'oh there I go again going off topic in my own thread and on the first post!!!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2005, 01:10 PM
Shame on you Dol! :mad2: :laugh:

As far as your question goes, I can't see a better way of doing it. I think to leave a trial to a judge is an unfair way of doing it and a jury of twelve people gives a diverse range of opinions, so therefore is fairer.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
25-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Absolutely not! It stinks. I mean you have Jeffery Archer getting 4 years for perjury then you have the recent case in Glasgow where a woman who kicked another woman (over a parking space) in the head several times causing her to die gets 200 hours community service!! I am not saying that Archer should not have got 4 years, he lied and he should have been punished for it, but on most occassions the crime just does not justice some of the poxy sentences that are handed out. :ranting:

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
25-08-2005, 01:24 PM
What I mean is sack those dithering fools who don't live in the real world and have the victims hand down the sentences!! Ok, this will never happen but honestly some of these judges are way too old and live too high up in their ivory towers to pass down a practical and deserving sentence!

25-08-2005, 01:32 PM
I agree with the sentencing issue Bella. It is appalling and criminals get off far too easy. The sentences just do not seem to commit the crime.

I've been watching a few crime shows with Mr tiggs lately (he loves them) and have been appalled at how the Police just 'caution' so many criminals. It seems like a major crime needs to be committed to just get arrested nowadays. If it was nipped in the bud in the early stages, it just might not get so out of hand.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
25-08-2005, 02:58 PM
I didn't know the jury had any say in the sentencing? is this true?

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
25-08-2005, 03:04 PM
No they don't Dol, it is the judge who hand down the sentences. Have I put that in my post? :unsure:

25-08-2005, 03:10 PM
tigger767 Wrote:I can't see a better way of doing it. I think to leave a trial to a judge is an unfair way of doing it and a jury of twelve people gives a diverse range of opinions, so therefore is fairer.

I agree :thumbsup:

I also agree that the sentencing can be a joke and the sentence often doesn't fit the crime.

I think the whole justice system needs a overhall.
25-08-2005, 07:27 PM
The system should definitely be overhauled and sentances for the same types of crime should be in place wherever you live and whatever judge you are in front of. Judges opinions about certain crimes are varied and biased meaning that the sentencing system becomes unfair leading to costly appeals.
Find all posts by this user
25-08-2005, 07:53 PM
The Legal system in the UK is prehistoric!!!! So are most of the Judges who dont have a CLUE about living in the real world!

I would LOVE to be a magistrate - as long as they bring back Borstal and I could send all the anti social muppets there......... :devil:

It must be quite galling to be in the Police force, to work on a murder case, catch the guilty party and then watch some old fart in a wig dish out a measley 18 month sentance.....

unless of course.................there was the money or property of one of the "old boys network" involved and then the guilty party is probably looking at 5+ years! WHEN did money become more important than the life of another human being????

No wonder the Uk is being over run by hooligans - they are sticking their 2 fingers up at the legal system day in day out because it is a complete ASS!

Hmmmmmm best put me soap box away...........

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
[Image: isis.gif]
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Why is it OK for women to hit men? The Curmudgeon 14 3,255 30-11-2008 09:05 PM
Last Post: Mars
  Do you have to get drunk to have a good time? Dolores 68 7,004 08-06-2007 07:40 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  McDonalds smells good doesn't it ! gatubela 13 1,875 31-08-2006 10:56 AM
  How many good times do not involve alcohol IsLe Of WeAtHeR 24 2,318 08-06-2006 03:21 AM
  Women are bigger wimps than men - it's official! Blink 53 4,268 25-01-2006 08:32 PM
Last Post: bustywench
  Women & Children First.......or should it? Bella 10 1,628 07-09-2005 07:03 AM
Last Post: JakeyBoy
  Memo to Women in the Gym... isleofweather 17 2,194 27-06-2005 05:19 PM
Last Post: Flip
  Our Food - More Harm Than Good? Ceridwen 35 3,349 19-06-2005 02:57 PM
Last Post: Ceridwen
  Do You Believe Tony Blair acted in good faith? Hugh Jaas 15 2,282 03-05-2005 07:19 PM
Last Post: karenh
  Good and Evil Cockney 67 6,059 14-03-2005 03:44 PM
Last Post: longshot