Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Phobia Thread
27-03-2005, 01:15 PM
The Phobia Thread

Yes, it's been done to death but anyway - tell us your phobias! How did this phobia develop? Any embarrassing stories related to your phobia?

Well, Iam afraid of heights and something truly frighteneing and embarrassing happened to me yesterday.
Miss PJ and I went out for the day to Edinburgh. Some of you may know, but for those who don't there is this monument in Edinburgh called the Scott Monument which is extremely high and you can climb up it.
So, Miss PJ wanted to climb up it and I nervously agreed.
You have to climb up this very narrow stone spiral stairecase which gets narrower you go higher and at some points there isn't even a rail to hold on to.
So there I was absolutely crapping myself but I made it to the end point (we couldn't go any higher as parts of it higher up were getting restored which I was glad about) but we were still pretty high.
I found it worse coming back down. Miss PJ just skipped her way down the steps while i clung onto the wall and descended slowly. I was actually coming out in a cold sweat.
At several points, there are little window gaps in the wallo so you can see out way down to the ground as your coming down the stairs and I tried not to look out them but when I did, I actually stopped, closed my eyes and clung to the railing and I was literally paralysed with fear.
Miss PJ came running back up to see what was wrong and I told her I couldn't move so she had to go down to the bottom and get people to come up and help me down - which took about half an hour.
It was one of the most frightenening experiences of my life and when I got to the bottom I was so embarrassed as there was a small crowd of people just staring at me. Felt like such a sissy!
So, I won't be doing that again... Blush

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2005, 01:45 PM
The Phobia Thread
Ohhhhh Peej, I know what you mean about heights......Im a complete 'mare when it comes to them.....

and moths....

and butterflies......

and fish (yes I KNOW I go fishing :blink: - its all part of my therapy according to Mr Q :unsure: )......

and slugs 'n' snails....... (especially when I tread on one in the dark and it crunches then squishes under my foot as it slides on the slime :sick: )

and caterpillars (cos they turn into moths and butterflies)......

OMG Im such a GIRL Blush

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
[Image: isis.gif]
Find all posts by this user
27-03-2005, 02:01 PM
The Phobia Thread
For me its wasps I drive around in the summer with the cars windows shut I can't cope with the thought of being trapped with them. I've run out of restaurants and even a christening, to make matters worse I was the godmother, and they all thought I'd nipped out for a fag.

It stems from when I was ten I had a plaster cast on my arm, it had been on nearly six weeks and was very loose around the hand part as my arm had got thinner, a boy at school was batting a wasp with his ruler and it landed on my hand and crawled up inside the plaster. I screamed the place down as the teacher was trying to get it out with a knitting needle, eventually he squashed it inside and it fell out. Luckily it only stung me a couple of times but have ben scared witless of them since.
27-03-2005, 02:41 PM
The Phobia Thread
PJ, I had EXACTLY the same experience as you, going up the spiral staircase of the old tower at Warwick Castle. It was horrible going up but coming down it was a nightmare. I had all these people pushing behind me and all I could see when I looked down were these tiny spiral stairs cascading down into nothingness. My hands were dripping sweat, I was clutching at the wall and kept having to stop to let people by (who were skipping down them like they were nothing). It took forever to get down.

I hate heights. I cant even watch the film CliffHanger without getting sweaty palms.
Im not keen on insects with big legs either, like spiders, crickets, locusts etc. Blush

Liking the cut of your jib.........[Image: aniburns.gif]
27-03-2005, 04:04 PM
The Phobia Thread
My phobia is heights too.....

I know the Scott Monument PJ, when I was in Edinburgh I took one look at it and said nah I don't do heights, as I know I would have been like you and I would have needed help to get down, so Steve had to go up on his own!

I can't go in my loft either, I have to send my boys as although I can climb up the loft ladder I just can't get down with out help.... My boys find it hilarious Blush
27-03-2005, 04:08 PM
The Phobia Thread
Height seems to be a common theme!

I once had to bump down a church tower in Oxford on my behind Blush:laugh:

...and Pandora - that opening scene in Cliffhanger:ohmy:. When I saw it I was in a Jumbo jet somewhere very high over India. Good thinking by the airline...!

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
27-03-2005, 04:41 PM
The Phobia Thread
So, it was YOU who was holding up the queue PJ!!! :laugh: The dark for me, I still sleep with a night-light on! :shocking: I reckon it was all the stories when I was little about the bogey man and the urban tales about mental institution people escaping banging on the roof of a car with a head!!! I freaked one night when we had a power-cut..[color-lightgrey]must remember to pay the electricity on time[/color] and I had just put Katie in the bath and then Abbie run off, so I was half-way down the hall and then bang...no lights! The girls thought this was hilarious and I almost wet myself with sheer fright! Although I do have agree with Mazwad and wasps, I hate the pesky buggers, what is their point in this world? I am the prized idiot who runs about screaming whenever a wasp come near me, although since I have had the girls I do try my hardest not to be so hysterical!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
27-03-2005, 04:46 PM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2005 05:04 PM by Pandora.)
The Phobia Thread
Fee For All Wrote:Height seems to be a common theme!

I once had to bump down a church tower in Oxford on my behind Blush:laugh:

...and Pandora - that opening scene in Cliffhanger:ohmy:. When I saw it I was in a Jumbo jet somewhere very high over India. Good thinking by the airline...!
Eeeek @ CliffHanger ! :shocking: ...

dammit, I wish Id have thought of bumping down those Warwick Castle stairs on me bum .....

Liking the cut of your jib.........[Image: aniburns.gif]
27-03-2005, 08:38 PM
The Phobia Thread
Spiders for me, horrible creatures, I literally can't be in the same room as them because I just feel like they're watching me and plotting to sneak over to me and taunt me... especially when you brave a bath after the spiders been dormant for a while, and just as you get in it starts creeping across the wall towards you and doing acrobatics over your head...

PJ, I always thought you should be scared of dentists...

There are three types of mathmatician:
Those who can count and those who can't!
27-03-2005, 10:13 PM
The Phobia Thread
Rats. And everywhere I go I see them. Walking through Glasgow city centre and rats running out on the street in front of me. The last house I lived in, my cat killed 10+ rats and brought them into the house and at the back door. Whenever I walk down on the pier I see rats. HATE them. Although, I admit because I have come across so many (my childhood was littered with them) and so recently, I am less afraid/phobic and more of an active dislike. YUK.

:boxing: Angel small steps lead to great things

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The 2007 Gardening Thread Dolores 22 6,201 19-04-2010 06:20 AM
Last Post: Groucho
  The official "Hot" Thread. The Curmudgeon 14 14,713 21-10-2008 10:24 PM
Last Post: The Curmudgeon
  Best ever thread titles floopy 3 1,583 29-05-2008 09:18 PM
Last Post: Fee For All
  The "I'm Still Alive" Thread Rob 26 5,227 26-01-2008 06:58 PM
Last Post: Gneiss
  It don't need it's own thread.... Coastie 181 10,816 06-10-2007 05:45 PM
Last Post: Coastie
  The "how drunk will Groucho get tonight" thread ... Dolores 49 5,976 05-10-2007 05:34 PM
Last Post: Rob
  The SAVE BLUEY thread Slipper 4 1,504 05-10-2007 01:38 PM
Last Post: Figaro
  The Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening Thread Critique 84 9,073 23-06-2007 05:54 AM
Last Post: msgirl
  a thread for us laydeeees... msgirl 20 3,688 19-06-2007 06:00 AM
  Thread to say anything you like to another poster! ils 1,866 69,057 16-06-2007 03:05 PM