Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Queen's Castle
04-04-2005, 02:13 PM
The Queen's Castle

Did anyone watch this last night on bbc1 at 8pm.

When I first saw this in the tv page I thought it was a drama, but camera's are in Windsor castle following different people around.
It was quite interesting.

Last night they showed the Knights of the Garter annual lunch. At first I thought it was a big lunch for awarding a Knight. But basically, the knights of the Garter are the same people who go to Windsor castle once a year for this big parade and lunch.
What a performance just to have some people over for lunch.
I know its all our heritage and stuff, but it seems a hell of a performance, and a lot of money spent on a lunch every year when its the same people there.

And I also didn't realise that some old army/navy guys who are knights of the garter actually live in Windsor castle.

They also showed Royal Ascot, and they had Prince Philip talking about how guests at Windsor always had something to do when Ascot is on. He said "When guests are here and there's nothing happening, the guests tend to be a nuisance" :w00t: I thought he was going to say the guests get bored, but no, he called them a nuisance :laugh:

[Image: 429.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2005, 02:22 PM
The Queen's Castle
I saw this, and i felt so sorry for the official clock keeper when the clocks go backwards / forwards. He had something like 450 to change, and it took 2 days and nights !!!! He had to change watches to the large clocks in the tower :wacko:

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
04-04-2005, 02:30 PM
The Queen's Castle
Bonsai Wrote:I saw this, and i felt so sorry for the official clock keeper when the clocks go backwards / forwards. He had something like 450 to change, and it took 2 days and nights !!!! He had to change watches to the large clocks in the tower :wacko:

That sounds like a job right out of Gormenghast!
04-04-2005, 06:52 PM
The Queen's Castle
I saw this and what struck me is just how many rituals the Queen has to go through day in day out. Right down to meeting the carols singers on the steps of her apartment with mulled wine at the ready. There can't be a single day that goes past where she doesn't have something she's got to do. You'd think she'd be tempted to throw a sicky now and then wouldn't you!
04-04-2005, 09:19 PM
The Queen's Castle
Last weeks was brilliant, they [Queen et al] were hosting a state dinner for President [and I know I shall spell this wrongly] Cheraque [the French pressie]. Anyway, the preperations that went into the dinner for 140 people was staggering - absolute fun to watch though.

Each place setting was measured with a ruler, the guy who lit the candles on the candlabra had to walk along the table in his stocking [courtesy of British Airways] feet to light the hundreds of candles. Oh and after the dinner, the 140 guests trooped through to an ante room and the whole cast of Les Mis, were shipped over to Buck Ho. to re-perfrom the whole thing again. Very grand and exciting.

I love all that pomp and ceremony, but if I were Queen I would likely throw a sicky now and again and just veg. in my jarmies and slippers once in a while!!

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]