Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Reader
15-06-2009, 11:16 PM
The Reader

Has anyone seen this? I recently read the book and was mesmerised. It's an easy and not very long read - and poses all sorts of questions - including the old chestnut of whether bad things are done by notbad people., and also something I hadn't really thought before about the holocaust: the proxy shame felt by the next generation in Germany.

However, it is also a love story - of sorts. A love-and-shame story.

Initially I was not drawn to the film as I'm unkeen on Kate Winslet. Also, I tend to find when I've been gripped by a book, that the film is a letdown! But I'd be interested to know what people who have seen it have thought.....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-06-2009, 10:23 PM
The Reader
Totally off topic, but I thought I was seeing things then....

Hi Lucy

Space reserved for interesting fact.
16-06-2009, 10:32 PM
The Reader
Hi Gneiss - how are you and Emma?

Have you seen "The Reader"?

I ordered it on DVD at the same time as ordering some post A level exam PC game moronicness for my offspring in their demob happy euphoria (yes, they and I are that old) - and we were both miserably thwarted today as amazon couldn't deliver to an empty house!

But - I am still haunted by this book. It is not quite 'Lolita' reversed - but has echoes of that - and also this terrible reflection on how those we love - our families, lovers, childhood heroes etc - are humans who are lacking.
16-06-2009, 10:53 PM
The Reader
Emms and I are both fine thanks, a little put out at having to move house but that's another tale....

Aside from watching La bohème in the garden the other day to the sound of lawn mowers in the background I have to confess the last thing I watched was The Notebook Blush

But it does seem more Emms thing than mine - In fact she was reading over my shoulder and said, "that sounds interesting".

05-08-2009, 03:24 PM
The Reader
Lucy Wrote:Has anyone seen this? I recently read the book and was mesmerised. It's an easy and not very long read - and poses all sorts of questions - including the old chestnut of whether bad things are done by notbad people., and also something I hadn't really thought before about the holocaust: the proxy shame felt by the next generation in Germany.

Initially I was not drawn to the film as I'm unkeen on Kate Winslet. Also, I tend to find when I've been gripped by a book, that the film is a letdown! But I'd be interested to know what people who have seen it have thought.....

Hi Lucy

Long time no see!

I've read The Reader and like you, I found the book gripping and have recommended it to others. Unlike you though, I really like Kate Winslet. I can see her playing the part of Hanna sensitively and intelligently.

I don't know if you've seen the film yet, but I plan to see it at the weekend, and will post an opinion once I have.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
06-08-2009, 09:02 PM
The Reader
karenh Wrote:I plan to see it at the weekend, and will post an opinion once I have.

I suspect I'm more likely to be seeing Harry Potter this weekend Blush

24-10-2009, 09:59 PM
The Reader
Hi Lucy, I have yet to read the book but I have just watched the film, and now feel the need to read it just as I always find the book gives a bit more detail.

As for the film, I thought it was a really good film. Enjoy, would be the wrong word to use as I did find it very emotional. I wanted to hug Hannah and take away her, even though what she had done was very wrong, but I could not help but feel sympathy towards her. And I suppose in some kind of way, it makes you think about the reactions of the other people during the war.........were they simply, as Hannah seen it..........doing their job?

I thought the scenes were beautifully shot, the sex scenes were not full-on like you see in a lot of films these days and it was great to see a female take on the lead.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
29-10-2009, 07:54 PM
The Reader
Lucy Wrote:Has anyone seen this? I recently read the book and was mesmerised. It's an easy and not very long read - and poses all sorts of questions - including the old chestnut of whether bad things are done by notbad people., and also something I hadn't really thought before about the holocaust: the proxy shame felt by the next generation in Germany.

Heh, you know I went out and got the book on the strength of your recommendation. Hadn't even seen the film or anything. So having got the book, I found the first section difficult to get into. I'd read a few pages, then put it down for a few days. I found the second and third parts much better though.

I agree with all you say about the love story, the moral ambiguity and the proxy shame. I think the story was also about emotional stuntedness. Michael is damaged by his relationship with Hanna, but it's also clear his father is emotionally stunted too. I don't know if I was being a bit thick, but I found the book raised some complex issues and didn't resolve them. It's like it said "This is how things are. Make what you will of it." Well. that's intriguing but also a bit frustrating.

So I saw the film afterwards, and it was reasonably faithful to the book, and Kate winslet did a good job I thought, apart from not really convincing as an old lady. Overall I'd say a good book and a good film, but neither really in my top league.

Mick Smile
No fear, no hate, no pain, no broken hearts

For topical debate and vitriolic mudslinging DON'T visit: http://www.greatworlddebate.com cos it's a dead link.

INSTEAD visit http://greatworlddebate.net/gwdsmf/index.php
Find all posts by this user
31-12-2009, 11:08 AM
The Reader
I watched the film yesterday. I thought it was very thought provoking. I really felt for Michael once he realised that his first love was this concentration camp guard who'd done these terrible things. I could really get into his mindset of being ashamed and confused and sympathetic. What a mix up of emotions.

I thought the young Michael was excellent as was Kate Winslet. The low key style of acting and filming was just so spot on.

I'd like to read the book now.

Another film in a similar vein I've seen recently is The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - another story about concentration camps/nazis, which made me feel intensely sad for the mad world we live in and the awful people who justify their evil actions with normality. I also think it must be very hard to be german as it seems to be that they are often judged on what the nazi's did - or at least opinion is often coloured by this.

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...