Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Restaurant
16-09-2008, 07:15 PM
The Restaurant

As I said earlier, I would imagine the majority of this is due to the producers. I probably shouldn't tell anyone this, but many of my tutors recently have told me not to believe anything I see on TV. Even from my (admittedly limited) experience, I have witnessed this all too often. There will be people who deem this to be their only shot, but many will also only turn this on for the cameras, and then go working incredibly hard to make it by other means. It may be cheapening yourself on national TV, but if it gets you noticed, and you then create the career you want out of it, does this matter?

I understand you don't like these people, that's absolutely your right and I wouldn't ever take it from you. But people are going to be shallow and vacuous, it's just human nature. People want everything instantly and people aren't going to get it.

I respect you for unearthing what you like. I do the same and I think it is healthy. But I don't dismiss things I deem to be beneath me.

If people want to live their life taking what's in front of them, why not let them? It makes no difference to me, and, if I do watch or listen to the same thing, that's great because I can talk to them about it.

You're not born lazy, it's an acquired skill

[Image: pot004.gif] [Image: egg03064.gif][Image: 90725.gif][Image: 79735.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2008, 07:24 PM
The Restaurant
That is a sensible, mature outlook on the whole thing.

And that's just no fun at all, is it?

Don't abuse children, or else they'll turn out like me.
http://www.thecurmudgeon.proboards88.com - The site to save your life.
16-09-2008, 07:26 PM
The Restaurant
No.

You b astard.

You're not born lazy, it's an acquired skill

[Image: pot004.gif] [Image: egg03064.gif][Image: 90725.gif][Image: 79735.gif]
17-09-2008, 09:47 AM
The Restaurant
The Curmudgeon Wrote:That is a sensible, mature outlook on the whole thing.

And that's just no fun at all, is it?

It's certainly more interesting than just knocking stuff for the sake of it though - that's just tiresome, not fun.

bam bam
Find all posts by this user
17-09-2008, 10:34 AM
The Restaurant
It's not "knocking stuff for the sake of it." Reality television IS the lowest form of entertainment, and its dominating TV schedules more than ever.

Why? Because its cheap TV, it requires little thought and there's a never ending rogues gallery of washed up coke addicts willing to do anything, ANYTHING, to keep their dead-eyed, vaccous faces on television. And these people are classed as "celebrities" to the great unwashed. There's a whole generation of stupid people who will grow up knowing who Kerry Katona is and not knowing who, say, Oscar Wilde is. And that is simply unacceptable.

I saw a copy of The Sun yesterday, and they had a two page TV "news" pullout. They talked about Big Brother (even though its finished), X Factor, that aeroplane crap, Britain's Got Talent and probably about four other God-awful reality shows. Oh, and they did mention Bionic Woman, which had been cancelled.

So a half-decent TV show like Bionic Woman is cancelled, yet brainless dross like Big Brother continues to be put on TV. And all because people who watch these things are MORONS.

I'm sorry you find it "tiresome", Tigereye. Maybe if I put in more "lols" and smiley faces it might be on your wavelength a little more, hmmm?

17-09-2008, 12:39 PM
The Restaurant
I didn't say I found your opinions tiresome - even morons have opinions - hell, my dog even has an opionion on which ****e he prefers to eat - but you do have a tendancy, while amusing at times, to just blast away with vitriol on every topic which you come across, whether or not you are fully informed on the ins and outs of them (e.g. Bionic Woman was cancelled due to the writer's guild strike in the US and nothing to do with effing Kerry Katona and her ilk), and patronise, insult and ridicule everyone else in the process.

THAT is tiresome and repetitive.

Lol bleedin' lol.

bam bam
17-09-2008, 01:39 PM
The Restaurant
Actually, Bionic Woman WAS cancelled due to low ratings. The writers strike didn't help it, but it was the ratings that sealed its fate.

Anyway, I didn't SAY that BW was cancelled "because of Kerry Katona and her ilk", I just mentioned that a decent show was canned yet vile programs like Big Brother still got made.

READ my posts, correctly, before you comment on them next time.

17-09-2008, 03:22 PM
The Restaurant
So you're saying that Bionic Woman was cancelled due to poor ratings.
But you're not saying that that is due to the fact that people choose to watch reality TV instead?

bam bam
17-09-2008, 03:35 PM
The Restaurant
So are we saying then, that instead of watching real people on television, we should be altogether more high-brow and that we should be watching actors pretending to be real people on television?

Bollox to potplants
17-09-2008, 07:15 PM
The Restaurant
Well, yeah.

I'm talking about watching television that required TALENT to be made. Something that someone actually sat down and wrote. Something that people took time and effort into producing, and that actors made you believe what was happening. I'm NOT talking high-brow television - it doesn't HAVE to be opera.

Not just, "OK, let's take these ten famous people, and by famous I mean pop stars who were dropped by their record label three years ago, wives of footballers and relatives of more famous people, and put them in a haunted house/circus/aeroplane/kitchen/whatever and call it entertainment. Because that's just not good enough.

I have no problem with light entertainment. There is a time, place and need for that sort of stuff, and there always has been. Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway - great light entertainment, perfect Saturday night family viewing. Sky One's Don't Forget The Lyrics - great light entertainment (I have no problem with gameshows either). The new version of Gladiators was a surprisingly excellent show; spirited presenting, laugh out loud pantomime villains and a whole lot more fun than the original. The F Word with Gordon Ramsey - a great show - educational and entertaining.

There's nothing high-brow about any of the shows I just mentioned, and I have no problem with entertainment like that. Presenters and personalities like Ant and Dec, Ramsey and Simon Cowell deserve to be on television. Kensey from Blazin' Squad, Bianca Gasgoine and Jade Goody do NOT.

Yet the more these shows get made, the more people will just begin to accept them as mainstream entertainment, and the cycle will go on until the sun burns out of the sky. They should be BANISHED.