Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Restaurant
17-09-2008, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2008 07:58 PM by Mars.)
The Restaurant

Putting aside the issues surrounding z-list celebs etc.

Making just 'deserving' television is simply not going to happen. Part of the appeal of reality television is that it IS cheap to make and viewers flock to them in their millions, meaning higher advertising revenue AND phone vote money. Absolutely perfect.

Therefore, without these shows, programmes that are a little more creative, and require talent to produce simply couldn't be made. There just wouldn't be the money available. In essence, in an ironic way, reality television creates original television.

Blame Margaret Thatcher. Honestly.

Edit: See, 'Channel 4 relies on Big Brother for almost 25% of its annual advertising revenues'.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2007/...bigbrother

You're not born lazy, it's an acquired skill

[Image: pot004.gif] [Image: egg03064.gif][Image: 90725.gif][Image: 79735.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-09-2008, 08:22 PM
The Restaurant
That just shows how awful C4 have become over the years. Income be damned; in effect, Big Brother has ruined Channel 4.

When was the last time a GOOD, original comedy was produced by Channel 4? Been a while, hasn't it? Yet check this staggering fact..

Including coverage on Channel 4 and E4, there were a total of 21 different Big Brother-related shows last year.

That's disgusting. C4 used to be about cutting edge television - now its about vile presenters talking about vile morons.

I understand they make money from the show. That's probably the most depressing thing.

Don't abuse children, or else they'll turn out like me.
http://www.thecurmudgeon.proboards88.com - The site to save your life.
17-09-2008, 08:38 PM
The Restaurant
To an extent, you can't blame Channel 4.

The very first Big Brother WAS fascinating and ground breaking television. Not even a reality TV hater like you can deny this. It was edgy, innovative and ballsy. Channel 4 took great criticism for having the 'audacity' to produce it. This IS everything Channel 4 should be doing, and I absolutely think that they made the correct decision.

Fortunately and unfortunately for them, it worked and became a massive success. They have now become stuck with it, simply because it is just so massive. This year, just because Celebrity Big Brother wasn't on for 4 weeks in January, their profits are down hugely. They simply can't take the risk of not having it on. People criticise it, and even Channel 4 executives have acknowledge that they would like to water it down, yet the length of the programme increases all the time. Why? Because they have to.

No-one can guess what Channel 4 would be like if Big Brother wasn't invented. I can, however, take an educated and researched guess. I think it would be absolutely *******. They have tried creating new formats, even replicating Big Brother (Unanimous) yet, nothing has worked as well as Big Brother.

Their advertising revenue would be down, simply because of the huge amount of television channels out there. They receive less money from the public, ITV don't give them anything any more. They simply wouldn't have anything, and their programming output would be a hell of a lot worse than it currently is.

Big Brother saved Channel 4. Their viewing figures are up, when compared to the rest of the terrestrial channels and taking into account the trend of viewing figures falling. As such, their revenue is up and they can create programming like Dispatches, The Secret Millionaire and their news programmes (which are fabulous).

It may be hated, it may be mocked, but unfortunately, whether you like it or not, its necessary.

(Oh, and The IT Crowd, that is HILARIOUS)

You're not born lazy, it's an acquired skill

[Image: pot004.gif] [Image: egg03064.gif][Image: 90725.gif][Image: 79735.gif]
17-09-2008, 08:58 PM
The Restaurant
IT Crowd - awful, but when Matt Berry (bit of a hero of mine) joined the show he became easily the best thing on it. Before he joined it was borderline unwatchable.

And hey, look on the bright side - at least we're not talking about "The Restaurant."

27-09-2008, 06:33 AM
The Restaurant
Well I`m glad the father and daugher team have gone. I thought he was very rude asking people for tips and then even ruder speaking to the guy at the university, plus the fact he had no real intested himself it was just all for his daughter.
Find all posts by this user
29-09-2008, 09:56 AM
The Restaurant
The dad was a complete moron.

The daughter was irritating, but I was starting to feel a leeeetle bit sorry for her at the end.....he really stuffed it up for her.

bam bam
30-09-2008, 09:40 PM
The Restaurant
I dunno, The Curmudgeon goes away for just a few days and all of a sudden you're all back in your bad habits, talking about the very death of television.

Pitiful.

01-10-2008, 05:09 AM
The Restaurant
Alasdair and James are just TV gold talk about the left hand not knowing what the right is doing. I hope they stay for a few more weeks because I want to see either one go nuclear

I don't mind Helen and Stephen they have a good concept, anyone who has children and tried to find a decent eatery with wholesome food will testify, I doubt they will win but going by Blanc's aim of 'good food being central to good living and to create and serve food that can be enjoyed by everyone - from the time conscious business person to those looking for a welcoming family restaurant' they could be in with a shout.

I really like Caroline and Chris but he does come across as a bit thick from time to time although he is always learning and does try hard. I hope they stay to the end
01-10-2008, 06:17 AM
The Restaurant
"Alasdiar and James are just TV gold."

You know, some idiots don't deserve to have a television.

Or eyes.

01-10-2008, 11:10 AM
The Restaurant
The Curmudgeon Wrote:"Alasdiar and James are just TV gold."

They actually make entertaining viewing. But you wouldn't know that, not having watched the show. Unless you did, which would make you a sad person - watching something you don't enjoy.

The Curmudgeon Wrote:You know, some idiots don't deserve to have a television.

Or eyes.

Unfortunately, many idiots have nothing but unsolicited negativity.

bam bam