Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The WI
21-04-2005, 09:48 PM
The WI

I wondered are there any other members of the WI here??

Well as a few know I joined about 8 months or so ago - and have been going regularly to the WI meetings, we are a small WI with perhaps 15 members - nevertheless a varied and interesting group. Including a 90 year old [my mates great aunt] - who despite being deaf is the most brilliant lady - she wanders the country lanes looking for roadkill to cook!! Honest - and she lives in a house belonging to the National Trust but her parents gave it to the Trust along with the surrounding estate and villages when she was about 10yrs old. She is fabulous.

Anyway the point of my thread is that I have been chosen to represent our WI and 3 others to go to London in June to the ALBERT HALL [oooooooo soooo excited] to the WI conference.

And I found out today who the speakers are to be - the morning speaker is no less than Jane Fonda [woh woh woh!!!] and then following a lunch by Prue Leith [yet again - double WOOOOOOOOOH!!] the afternoon speaker is Bill Bryson - oh one of my fave funny authors!!

And not only all the above - but I am getting out of pocket expenses and we are booked to see a London Show - no idea what yet - but I really don't care it is going to be just hilarious!!

If there is a down side, and I can't really see this as a down side - but I have to share a twin room with a yet un-named fellow WI member. Just as long as she doesn't fart I don't mind!!!

Fancy joining the WI then?? With perks like that I can see no better reason?

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2005, 05:58 AM
The WI
Will you be doing the nude calendar thing Flip??? :laugh:
Find all posts by this user
22-04-2005, 06:00 AM
The WI
I remember my mum was in the Womens Guild, is this the same thing?

Who is Pru Leith?

Sounds a good jolly flip.
22-04-2005, 06:22 AM
The WI
Congratulations Flip, I hope you have a great time!
22-04-2005, 07:26 AM
The WI
will jam be invovled Flip?

They obviuosly chose you to represent the "new" face of the WI ... and a finer representative they could not find!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
22-04-2005, 09:06 AM
The WI
What's the WI?? :unsure:

visit my forum : Stardust Forums
22-04-2005, 09:09 AM
The WI
It is the Womens Institute Claire

Web Site
22-04-2005, 09:10 AM
The WI
Ok, thanks Smile

visit my forum : Stardust Forums
22-04-2005, 09:18 AM
The WI
I so envy you! You have Bill and Prue - two of my faves! Dammit, I want to come!

Best I have here is to find myself on the Residents Committee - suffered a 3 hour meeting on that last night - talk about brain curdling!

My sis joined the WI where she lives, and she loves it - sez it's the best laugh going, and very informative too.

I wouldn't mind doing the calendar either to be honest! :bag: Yup, body's OK, but cover the head! :ohmy:
22-04-2005, 10:10 AM
The WI
Ooh lucky you Flip, trip to London and all that.

I'm not in the WI but I am a member of the ladies circle which I suppose is similar.
It's the female side of the round table, although you get chucked out of the ladies circle at 45, so we might have a few younger members than the WI and I think there is a bit more alcohol involved in our meets. Well there is down my throat:w00t:

[Image: 429.gif]