Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The feminisation of tv programmes
14-04-2007, 10:02 AM

I caught a glimpse of "Bring back the A-team" the other night (oh the shame!) anyway I watched it for a bit cos Dirk Benedict was on (he of Celeb BB).

Anyway he made quite an interesting point when he said that the A-Team was a tv programme about men, for men, written by men and (in his opinion) it was the last truly masculine lead programme on tv and that nowadays tv programmes are written for women, from a woman's point of view with even the male characters having a "feminine" point of view.

Do you agree with this?

I have to say in some cases I do agree. We very rarely see a "masculine" man who is his own person on tv (although I'm sure that people will send in lots of examples now I've said that!!). If the male character is masculine he is often protrayed as a bully or a loner or someone without social graces.

So am I talking out of my bottom or do you think I may have a point?! (Oh - i should have attached a poll to this - Is Dolores talking out her bottom ... or does she have a point ... type of thing!).

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2007, 11:47 AM
I watched "Bring back the A-team" a while ago when it was first shown...I loved the A-Team and have since watched re-runs on satellite wherever possible...love it!

I think it is difficult to find such a 'mans man' type program these days because everything has to be so PC.

The Sopranos highlights the fact that when it is all about blokes being blokes they have to be criminals and yet with the A-Team they were rufty toughty do gooders! Bizzare!Huh

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
14-04-2007, 09:40 PM
If the A Team was for men, how come they chose Dirk Benedict and George Peppard as two of the leads? Why? For the laydees, that's why.

I agree with Coastie (much as it chokes me) that it's not necessarily a "feminisation" thing (nice word, Dol), but a PC thing, although thanks to the likes of Life on Mars and various comedy programmes, this seems to be on the turn.
Find all posts by this user
17-04-2007, 08:44 AM
From the late nineties I think it was, the majority of programme controllers in the BBC were women, which meant that women were choosing what we got to see.

Hence the surfeit of lifestyle programmes - makeover shows, cookery programmes, wife swap, all that kind of stuff, very much a 'feminisation' of BBC output.

Michale Buerk had a good old moan about it.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
17-04-2007, 03:03 PM
and all we blokes got was Scrapheap Challenge

What happened to Bay Watch and Charlies Angels - Action chicks

Even Dr Who has become eye candy for girlies now instead of for the boys

(not that I watch Dr Who but you get the jist)

The ironic thing about life is that no one gets out alive...Huh
17-04-2007, 04:14 PM
football progs and rugby progs are aimed at blokes as are a lot of comedies in essence. the A team was aimed at kids and as a kid watching it once i realised that noone ever got killed I turned over. not because i wanted them to but because it was just silly.

i think that due to the increased competition and ratings chasing no tv maker now would want to restrict their potential audience to one gender.

I wonder how many men watch loose women?

**I heart Northern Soul**
17-04-2007, 05:24 PM
I agree with all of you, I do think there has been a feminisation of TV output and sadly I don't think its been for the best. Some of those house make over programmes, doing the garden, cookery slots, cash in the attic and a few others are nothing short of boring. At least that is my take on it.

Maureen
Northern angel.:sleep:

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
17-04-2007, 05:58 PM
yeah i have noticed what a big girlie old Jezza Clarkson is becoming on Top Gear :w00t:

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
[Image: isis.gif]
18-04-2007, 05:57 AM
IsLe Of WeAtHeR Wrote:football progs and rugby progs are aimed at blokes ................

Sorry but sport is aimed at no gender and anyway, during the rugby lineup for the national anthems there is ALWAYS a shot scanning the rears of the lines showing bums and thighs!!! This has been pointed out to me by MANY women

Also I don't see much synchronised swimming or ladies beach volleyball

IsLe Of WeAtHeR Wrote:I wonder how many men watch loose women?

As often as I can but usually in darkened rooms accessed by doors in side streets

The ironic thing about life is that no one gets out alive...Huh
24-04-2007, 07:12 PM
survivorfan Wrote:From the late nineties I think it was, the majority of programme controllers in the BBC were women, which meant that women were choosing what we got to see.

Hence the surfeit of lifestyle programmes - makeover shows, cookery programmes, wife swap, all that kind of stuff, very much a 'feminisation' of BBC output.

Michale Buerk had a good old moan about it.

I was going to say what he said....