Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The house of compulsive disorders
31-07-2005, 05:30 PM

Tomorrow night at 9.

People with various obsessive compulsive disorders put into one house to try and cure them. Sounds interesting.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2005, 05:48 PM
Tomorrow is it, okey dokey i hopefully will have sorted poor old Spice out by then.
I have a daughter Clare, who has this, it's very frightening sometimes, and i think they will glamourize it.
We live with it.
Find all posts by this user
31-07-2005, 08:54 PM
Humm, I won't be able to see this but I'll be interested to hear what it's like Max. Like Secrets I'd have reservations about the wisdom of this show.
31-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Hmmm yes - the bumff that accommpanies the trailers say that all else has failed - and this is the final and last attempt at a cure!

Somehow - with only that to go on - I wonder and wonder big time. I just don't see it myself - but it looks like great viewing nonetheless.

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

01-08-2005, 05:33 PM
so this is on tonight then?

i will give it a go, only cos I work with a woman who has every ailment, disorder going in some shape or form (it becomes very tedious cos no-one can EVER top her illnesses or disorders!!!) so I'm sure she will be discussing it in depth and comparing herself in every situation everyone finds themselves in on the show!

I may watch this programme if it's not too "self indulgent" on behalf of the sufferers ... I often wonder why anyone who has something seriously wrong with them ... or even minor ... well I wonder how they think that by appearing on a tv show will help them!!! lol! still it provides us with an insight and some entertainment!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
01-08-2005, 06:59 PM
God..there are so many things on a 9pm tonight I can't cope.
01-08-2005, 08:23 PM
One thing that has always interested me is....eating disorders...do they exhist where there is no food to eat, don't think so. Washing disorders..do they exhist where there is no running water...dont' think so. Cleaning disorders...do they exhist when there is nothing to clean..dont think so either.

So are these 'diseases' just in the western world, or are they just an attention seeking myth?
01-08-2005, 09:01 PM
Well some disorders would have their origin in the bio-chemical structure so access to water or food is irrelevant.

Others, I am sure there are multiple influencing variables as to their origin but yes, I take your point, they only emerge within the luxury of the western world environment of food and water + a whole lot more. A whole lot more.

For me the equivalent is like saying, people with allergies, of which there is an increase, are somehow responsible or potentially weak for enabling the allergy. Or you could look at the development of food, farming methods, refrigeration, widespread use of medicine, lowered tolerance, genetics etc etc

:boxing: Angel small steps lead to great things
Find all posts by this user
02-08-2005, 05:37 AM
tonee Wrote:For me the equivalent is like saying, people with allergies, of which there is an increase, are somehow responsible or potentially weak for enabling the allergy. Or you could look at the development of food, farming methods, refrigeration, widespread use of medicine, lowered tolerance, genetics etc etc

A classic example of this is Asthma, you almost expect your child to get it now and inhalers are given out like sweets. My sister is a nurse at a doctors surgery and runs an asthma clinic;there is a huge proportion of asthmatics in this area, she is convinced it has to do with a dumping ground in a village not far from here - Brogborough - non of us really know what is being dumped there. On occasions when the wind is right the air can sting your eyes and make your throat sore (this dosn't happen very often but the fact that it does at all is worrying).

Is the increase due to people getting weaker or due to outside influences as you point out Tonee - I would go with you. We pump a lot of man made chemical garbage into us and not enough of the natural dirt that helps build up a healthy tolerance - for example we are so obsessive about sterilizing baby's things for much longer that is necessary, a baby needs to build up its own tolerances.

Natural dirt good, man made bad.
02-08-2005, 07:12 AM
Cat Wrote:Natural dirt good, man made bad.

That is the wisest thing I've heard today, Cat. Okay, so I've only been up for half an hour but, still, it's a wise thing. Thank you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  House Coastie 32 4,705 19-08-2007 05:08 PM
Last Post: Coastie
  Ann Maurice - the House Doctor MariaRob 1 766 01-09-2006 11:09 AM
Last Post: MariaRob
  House JakeyBoy 15 1,943 30-09-2005 06:28 AM
Last Post: JakeyBoy
  How Clean is your House sayangmouse 13 1,803 28-09-2005 11:26 AM
Last Post: sayangmouse
  The House of Eliot Fee For All 12 1,812 26-08-2005 08:56 PM