Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The indomitable "London" spirit.....
09-07-2005, 08:57 AM

Is anyone else getting really annoyed with commentators on tv who announce in syrupy patriotic tones about the "London" spirit and how we will not be defeated etc etc by terrorist attack?

It is usually a pronouncement made by those who are commentating on a situation rather than living it.

I think it demeans all those poor poor people who are going to be traumatised for life after this explosion (and of course other similar events around the world) and makes them feel like failures for not being "indomitable" when all around them are waving bloody union jacks singing "we shall not be defeated".

Could it just be those that don't have to live with the after affects of such an horrendous situation that have this so called "indomitable" spirit?

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2005, 10:19 AM
"London" spirit is just a blanket phrase for the whole UK population, who refused to be cowed by fanatical, murdering scumbags.....
09-07-2005, 12:11 PM
I disagree Dol. I think it's great that people are standing up and not cowing down to these monsters. I find it a morale boost and helps unite people and give them confidence to carry on. I like it.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
09-07-2005, 12:23 PM
I agree that people are not cowing down and are standing up to the people who committed these atrocities. And that does show fantastic spirit. But isn't that what people of all countries do when faced with terrorism? It's not the sole domain of the British to be resilent.
09-07-2005, 12:50 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2005 12:53 PM by bridge.)
I too think it's great that the people are getting on with things so quickly after the bomb blasts, we can't let cowardly terrorists win.

[Image: london2.bmp]
Find all posts by this user
09-07-2005, 02:04 PM
I hear what you are saying Dol. I think?? It is OK to talk about the 'spirit' of Londoners, but those who are terrified and those who have been deeply traumatised by these attacks may feel demeaned or utter failures - because they are being affected by what happened.

As a whole though, it is important that this country remains stoical and strong in the face of adversity. I think it is probably the same sort of spirit that was so strong, and still talked about today, during the Wrold Wars.

But for those that are terrifed and affected will have a goal to aim towards; something that they probably want to feel, but are having difficulty doing so because of their personal experience.

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

09-07-2005, 03:56 PM
After posting I have been thinking about this some today and reflecting a bit on what I think Dolores means. And in some part I do agree with her.

Am I right in that what you are thinking Dol is that you feel there is a lack of empathy from the people who are commentating regarding the trauma that some individuals may be feeling. That those who are actually going through, don't feel brave, confronting and that their lives are in shreds now. Whilst those who are distanced from the situation somewhat, who are not affected by it in the same degree can feel strong and wave those flags in that spirit.

Whilst we cannot feel as they are feeling, it is important for us not to give in to those people, whilst of course, feel sympathy for those that are in the middle and have losses.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
09-07-2005, 04:13 PM
Normal1 Wrote:"London" spirit is just a blanket phrase for the whole UK population, who refused to be cowed by fanatical, murdering scumbags.....

Nicely nutshelled, Normski.

It is impossible to empathise unless you have had a similar experience. The commentators probably haven't. I do think, however, that in commentating the way they do, it stirs something within people and makes us feel strong and united, even though we will probably never have to deal with such an atrocity ourselves.

The way Londoners and, indeed, anyone else who reacts this way after a disaster, probably comes down to something as basic as animal instinct and survival. Look at the Thais and other people directly affected by the Tsunami. Their lives were devasted and yet they were helping everyone, including the tourists and trying to encourage them to come back and visit, almost as if they were apologising that their holidays had been ruined!
09-07-2005, 04:27 PM
I was wondering bout this too.

After the Madrid bombings they held a huge candlelit vigil to show that they would not be cowed by the terrorists.

Same sort of thing in New York.

In England, we just go back to work as soon as it's convenient to do so.

Are we just very pragmatic having gone through it in the 70s and 80s with the IRA, or do we lack passion and sympathy for our fellow countrymen.

Or perhaps we are just very understated.

Personally I like understated. I couldn't stand all that nonsense when Diana died......it all seemed so false.

Perhaps I'm just hard-hearted.

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
09-07-2005, 04:48 PM
I think understated, Grouch. We don't like to make a big thing of things in this country. I think the Americans defintely do and are very showy and the Spanish are more passionate generally. We are renowned for our public reverence and "stiff upper lip".