Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The most lovely place in Britain
27-06-2005, 11:15 AM

I thought with the holiday season and people thinking about jetting off around the world we should have a little celebration of some of the most lovely places in Britain, be they local to you or where you would love to be right now. Everyone can describe one location and why they think it should be the winner. Then on thurs I will put the locations up for a vote for the winner of 'The SO Lovely place in Britain Award'.

My nomination is the Isle of Tiree off the west coast of Scotland. My avatar shows Travee beach on the west side of the Island. Am afraid I don't no how to put other pictures in the text. I love going on the ferry on a sunny day and just as you come out of the sound of mull you see a golden horizon, as you get closer you see its the beaches reflecting in the sunlight. There are miles of beaches and very few people. On tiree if there is another person on the beach it is considered busy. You can horse ride, windsurf, fly kites, fish, cycle or just lie down and read a book.

The local butcher on the Island sales the best lamb, reared on the island and lovely square sausage. There is also a local pottery/ cafe that serves a lovely ham salad with tiree chutney.

The islanders are very friendly and there is no crime on the island. Its one of the few places left that you can just let the children off the lead and let them explore for themselves. My 5 year old nephew loves it there. We did wonder if a modern child would enjoy the beach as much as we did. But on the ferry home he asked if we could going back to Tiree next week.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-06-2005, 11:18 AM
Have found website that supports my nomination.

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/gshaw/tiree_map.htm
27-06-2005, 11:59 AM
Well Becks Tiree looks idyllic and on a day like today the thought of splashing about in the cool waters sounds like heaven.

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-06-2005, 12:19 PM
My nomination is Cornwall. Can't be specific about a place as I love so many, but as a whole Cornwall is my favourite favourite favourite place in the whole wide world.

VOTE CORNWALL!!!!
27-06-2005, 01:55 PM
D'you know Becks, I've found this really difficult. I've lived in most parts of the UK, or if not, have spent a fair bit of time there and I can't think of one place I would actively choose to return to.

The Western isles are beautiful, but only for a small part of the year; the weather is abysmal and there are far too many dreich* days for my liking when there's **** all to do.

So I suppose I will plump for West Sussex. For prettiness, there's Arundel, we have beaches, good riding and it's handy for London if you get bored - and Gatwick for fast getaways.

*dreich - great Scottish word for grey, miserable and generally yuck.

Since when has **** been a swear word? :ohmy:

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
27-06-2005, 02:09 PM
I like the mountains of Wales...the views from Snowdon are amazing..... :thumbsup:

The Southdowns are also incredibly beautiful.....:wub:

But in all honesty I love to be afloat so when I get out on the water anywhere on the South coast seems beautiful!

I now have splinters on my bum for sitting on the fence for so long..... Blush

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
27-06-2005, 02:49 PM
Devon has to be the most beautiful part of Britian for me. Beautiful rolling hills, moors and spectacular coastlines. Smile

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
27-06-2005, 08:56 PM
Mevagissey. The friendliest, prettiest, most atmospheric little fishing village in Cornwall - and that's saying something in such a delightful county!
27-06-2005, 09:39 PM
To live West Sussex and for a holiday Torbay!
28-06-2005, 06:41 AM
I have never been to Tiree but have friends who holiday there, and they are just in love with the place. My cousin has been there for work purposes and also loved it, said he could not believe the whiteness of the sand and it was like he was on some exoctic beach.

I wouldn't be true to myself if I didn't say Edinburgh, it has the history and the beauty but I also love the West Coast of Scotland, it is truly beautiful. Loch Lomond is just breath-taking if you can get past the dreaded midges!!! The Highlands of Scotland are also beautiful so remote and I love their way of life just so relaxed, but I also love the picturesque little hamlets in England in the Peak District. Never been as far as Devon & Cornwall but from what I have seen on TV, it is gorgeous.

Oh, difficult, difficult choice Becks and unless you are far travelled and been round Britain it is difficult to say where is the lovliest place.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Look! There's a lovely pair of tits on this... PJ 4 789 11-10-2006 07:31 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  Britain's luckiest mums maxine 14 1,583 01-04-2006 04:34 PM
Last Post: maxine
  The Lovelist place in Britain Award Vote Becks 15 1,587 04-07-2005 08:44 PM
Last Post: Becks
  Banter in the work place. maxine 19 2,042 06-03-2005 08:28 PM
Last Post: floopy
  You know what else I love about this place? Kittencat 14 1,507 03-02-2005 06:08 PM
Last Post: Flip