Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 'what are you doing for Christmas' discussion...
28-08-2006, 08:43 PM

... so when does it occur in your family?

my mum asked me the other day if I knew what anyone else in the family was doing for Christmas - I was horrified - it's only August!! But I suppose over the next two months of so it will probably be discussed in most large families.

Do you always do the same thing for Christmas or do you share yourself out between your family and your partners? And when do you start discussing it? Is it only my mum that brings it up in August!!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-08-2006, 09:17 PM
Hello Dolores,

Christmas planning already, a tadge early.

Still in two weeks, I will be planning a rehearsal schedule for the various choirs and music groups I'm essential to, some of which I lead. At the end of September I am part of a committee that then decides what charities its going to support this year, following that we look at what we need to additionally raise to enable self funding for the projects then at hand.We also check what funding we have been awarded and count up what was left at the end of July.

On the home front I tend to really start christmas shopping in mid October after the last family birthdays of the year. However, I always buy my Wrapping papers, christmas tags and Christmas cards in January, as I buy a lot as I consider ahead what external needs to family I have.

I am also one of those daft people that likes a real homemade christmas cake. I will be make this at the beginning of November, by Christmas it will have had time to really mature and become that little bit richer in taste and texture, with the brandy I use; for a 6 to 7 lb cake.

MAUREEN
NORTHERN ANGEL.

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
Find all posts by this user
28-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Bah humbug - far too early to use the C word!!!!!!!!

I'll think about it in December!

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
28-08-2006, 10:29 PM
Ooh spooky.:ghost:
Me and my mum were talking the exact same thing today.
Basically me asking if we could come and descend on them for Xmas.

Only because they've given me the week off at Xmas, and I won't be getting that again for a few years.
So off up to my mums, with sister and her kids coming as well.

And it means I don't have to cook Xmas dinner:yahoo:

[Image: 429.gif]
28-08-2006, 11:27 PM
I put off thinking about it til it's nearly too late - then dash about like a loony wondering why I didn't do it when I had loads of time.

I don't enjoy it, I can't afford it and I'd like, for just one year, not to have to cook Christmas Dinner.

Just call me Mrs. Scrooge - as Rob says - Bah Humbug!! :ninja:
29-08-2006, 08:24 AM
We've had the discussion, but only cos bruv and his mrs are expecting another bundle of joy the week before christmas, so everything's a bit up in the air.

We may be having christmas dinner at the maternity hospital Huh

Bollox to potplants
29-08-2006, 09:31 AM
had it at the weekend [the discussion I mean]..:wink2:

usually everyone comes to mine as we have more floor space than my bro or my sis, although peeps have to eat off makeshift tables for the main meal.

I'd love a year off, but I know I would just feel odd in someone elses domain for the whole day with no control over proceedings....

real food bully me.:boxing:

bam bam
29-08-2006, 09:33 AM
We usually do alternate Christmases with either family and discussions start immediately after Christmas! This year, though, Mr P is insistant that we go somewhere. He fancies The Lake District and long, brisk, winter walks, pub lunches in front of log fires, etc, blah, blah. :cold:

It would normally be my Mum's turn to have us, but they're going away again this year (which is good because it's always a bit fraught staying with them at the best of times because their place is so small and my Mum is, well, my Mum).

Personally, I would prefer to be with family at Christmas and it would be my choice to spend it with Julian's parents, but he's put his foot down. :unsure:
29-08-2006, 09:44 AM
flippin 'eck pats - wish Urk would bring me off to the lake district for ...em.. eh...

ok, will admit all I read was pub lunches by log fires!:laugh:

I suppose if you get on with your famille and it's not stressfull then a family christmas day is the tits. If not, get the héLL out of there.....

bam bam
29-08-2006, 10:07 AM
What is with mums eh? Mr B's mum phoned me last week to tell me she was going book this restaurant for Christmas, I replied by saying that it was only August and that I hadn't thought about it and her immediate reply to me was "so that's a no then"......er, no it wasn't a no and it wasn't a yes. Anyway she rattled on about that she had to know by Friday if we were coming or not as the place was almost fully booked! And she was right they only has seatings for 1.30 left. She then got all annoyed with me because I would not give her a straight answer and hung up!

Thing is we had gone to this place last year on Christmas Eve and I wasn't that impressed with food and I know I could do better......or good old M&S could do better at a fraction of the cost - it was £45 a head for adults and £25 for kids.

So anyway Mr B & I discussed it bearing in mind that mother in law was going to be footing the bill as it was going to be our Christmas present but personally I thought it was too much to be asking her to fork out. So discussion at great lengths and we finally decided that we would not go to the dinner but have our own then meet up later or suggest that everyone comes to us. I just hadn't thought about Christmas and wasn't really giving it much thought in August.

Mr B then phones his mother later that night to tell her what our plans were and she replies with that it's all cancelled and she has decided to go to Tenerife instead! I ask you, what is this woman's problem?! What if we had said yes?!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Happy Christmas Saedhb 4 2,277 24-12-2009 02:23 PM
Last Post: Rob
  Christmas cupcakes jeryruse 2 1,679 17-12-2009 05:44 PM
Last Post: Mars
  Christmas spinach filo torte jeryruse 1 1,575 17-12-2009 12:59 PM
Last Post: jeryruse
  Tired of Christmas yet? karenh 8 2,705 28-12-2008 10:45 AM
Last Post: Buzz
  Merry Christmas Bonsai 8 2,632 27-12-2008 04:48 PM
Last Post: Seabreeze
  Christmas Parties Slipper 18 4,488 12-12-2008 01:45 PM
Last Post: Slipper
  A Christmas wish for you all! ~ils~ 11 3,736 02-01-2008 07:23 PM
Last Post: Tigereye
  The Christmas Rat Rob 1 1,562 11-12-2007 07:16 PM
Last Post: Rob
  Record your first sighting of domestic Christmas decorations here! Dolores 58 5,731 27-05-2007 05:23 AM
Last Post: Seabreeze
  Merry Christmas..ho Ho Ho! Coastie 9 2,340 26-12-2006 12:19 AM
Last Post: secrets