Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tomatoes
27-09-2005, 06:27 PM
Tomatoes

This might sound like a little thing, but it has been going on too long now, and my experience in a local Greek restaurant Sunday made me go crazy again.

It usually happens in Italian restaurants - not all - but in some, the raw tomatoes are just SO delicious, that I can't stop eating them (like Sunday night). They are sweet, just a hint of olive oil or something other than tomato, not at all oily, scrumptious.

So then I always ask where they get the tomatoes. Answer, Tesco or local market, so I rush down there, buy every type of tomato for sale, and they all taste like pants!

This has been going on for years. Now does anyone out there know their secret? Is there a way of blanching them, or seasoning them or something? If I could turn my Tesco tomatoes into Greek/Italian heaven, I would be the happiest person on the planet, and extremely healthy I'm told as I would eat half a kilo a day. Or do they cheat and get them from special suppliers? Oh life's mysteries.
Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2005, 06:33 PM
Tomatoes
I do tomato salad in a mix of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic salt and maple syrup. :eat:

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
27-09-2005, 06:37 PM
Tomatoes
I think will go with Fee's suggestion from now on that sounds scrummy.

All I do with my tomatoes is sprinkle with a teensy bit of e.v. olive oil, white balsamic and tons of Maldon sea salt and freshly ground pepper. If I put the toms with red onions I sprinkle the tiniest bit of sugar on them!!

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-09-2005, 06:38 PM
Tomatoes
if you overdo the syrup, caramelise 'em in a pan.

Double yum.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
27-09-2005, 07:28 PM
Tomatoes
Grrreat...gonna try it all. yum yum
28-09-2005, 11:43 AM
Tomatoes
I have a Turkish neighbour and she sprinkles olive oil and fresh mint over her tomatoes and they taste exactly like the ones I had in Greece. Give it a try, I do it with BBQs in the summer and it is delish. Smile

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
28-09-2005, 12:09 PM
Tomatoes
and go for plum on the vine, not the roundy ones, as they have less water and seeds = more flesh, and drizzle the olive oil / seasoning / herbs etc on them at least an hour before you want to pig out.

I put fresh chopped chillies and lemon juice on mine as well - mega salsa!!

bam bam
28-09-2005, 10:03 PM
Tomatoes
I make a homemade salsa that is delish if you love tomato...if you want the recipe let me know and I will post it. Gotta run right now.

I guess I'm Cornish...:unsure:
29-09-2005, 08:14 PM (This post was last modified: 29-09-2005 08:26 PM by Rob.)
Tomatoes
Yes please - I love salsa!

Edited to say - I've just spotted it - didn't realise it was there already - I'll give it a try soon

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
30-09-2005, 03:55 AM
Tomatoes
Rob Wrote:Yes please - I love salsa!

Edited to say - I've just spotted it - didn't realise it was there already - I'll give it a try soon
I didn't realize I would be back so soon after I posted to suggest the salsa recipe and so I just went on and posted it in the 'recipe' thread. Flip was curious about tomatillos and I have left a site also for what they look like, and thier history, etc. It's really good salsa if I do say so myself and I hope all of you who try it enjoy it. msgirl

I guess I'm Cornish...:unsure: