Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Tips
07-05-2005, 07:45 AM
Top Tips

THis is for any handy tips tweaks twiddles etc to improve computer performance.

I have a couple of tips to start the thread rolling.

spyware - the best free product I have found to detect and remove spyware from a PC is Microsoft's AntiSpyware beta version which you can get here

To make a Windows XP computer run faster, Run disk defragmenter in Start/All Programs/Accessories (takes ages to run but you can carry on using computer) and turn off the Indexing Service. (the indexing service ties files to memory to make the search facility run a bit faster but you don't need it if you don't use Search very often, say once or twice a day or less, and after I switched mine off my PC definitely runs faster).

To turn off the Indexing Service:
Computer Magement/ServicesandMAnagement/ click Indexing Service then click Action (at the top of the window)/all tasks/tune performance/ select never used button/ OK

PS BLink - please don't reply saying this is all a load of rubbish - it worked for me and I'd like my little moment of glory !!

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2005, 08:49 AM
Top Tips
Where do you find Computer Management?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-05-2005, 09:13 AM
Top Tips
By the water cooler or in the pub!
07-05-2005, 09:18 AM
Top Tips
Ceridwen Wrote:Where do you find Computer Management?

That'll be Start - control panel - performance and maintenance - administrative tools - computer management

07-05-2005, 10:50 AM
Top Tips
Ooh SF I think it is a bit different on XP as I don't get that box...I did find something called Indexing eventually but it said "Manual" next to it and "Click to Start" - so presumably that means it is turned off already? :wacko:
07-05-2005, 11:20 AM
Top Tips
Ceridwen Wrote:Ooh SF I think it is a bit different on XP as I don't get that box...I did find something called Indexing eventually but it said "Manual" next to it and "Click to Start" - so presumably that means it is turned off already? :wacko:

Sounds like it!

09-05-2005, 10:15 AM
Top Tips
I agree, SF. On pre 2000/XP computers, the indexing service is called "FindFast" and is installed with MS Office products. You can find it and disable it in the Control Panel.

Defragging is particularly useful if you get through a lot of disk space and regularly create large files.

One of my speed tips: Only install fonts that you actually use. Extra fonts can slow Windows down and cause system errors, at worst.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
10-05-2005, 08:36 PM
Top Tips
While looking for a new pop up blocker I found this google toolbar. It has its own pop up blocker and some useful other features:

If you find a web page with an address on it, click a button on the toolbar to bring up a map of the area.

If you regularly fill out details in web forms - name, address, email address etc, set them up once and let the auto-fill feature do your forms for you.

Type in the name of a site in your IE address bar and you go straight to the site - eg type survivor online and go to the SO website.

Spell check anything you type into a web page.