Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Tips thread.
24-11-2004, 03:00 PM
Top Tips thread.

Inspired by SF's Money Matters thread Smile

I thought we could do with a thread for helpful and useful little household tips, so if you have a brilliant trick for getting chewing gum out of dog fur, or you know of something that keeps ants away, or you alone hold the secret to perfect yorkshire puddings, then this is the place to post it!

I'll start:

We have a log burner which we use a lot during the winter months but since we don't buy a daily newspaper we are often stuck for paper to light it with...or we were......until we hit upon the idea of using the paper from the document shredder. Now we reduce all old receipts, bills and envelopes (which can't be recycled) to fine strips and use them to start the fire. They burn really well too Smile All other paper goes into the recycling box so it's cut down on our rubbish as well, which is a consideration now we only have a wheelie bin.

'Spose you could use the shredded paper for hamster bedding too if you wanted.
Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2004, 05:51 PM
Top Tips thread.
Nive One V - Smile

When making pizza's - instead of 'greasing' the pizza tray with butter, oil or marg - use polenta flour instead: it reduces the calorific intake and it makes the base even crispier!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-11-2004, 10:28 PM
Top Tips thread.
This can never be recommended enough:
[/font]
Always check for toilet paper before you do the business. Otherwise you're left clamouring for a (delete as appropriate) member of the family/friend/guest/household pet to go and fetch some more, which is always so embarrassing.

[font=Arial]cheerio!
24-11-2004, 11:00 PM
Top Tips thread.
Mmmmm... crispy pizza. And Yorkshire pud. *sigh*

Yorkshire pudding is a real temperamental git. I did go through a purple patch with it a while back, then I got a bit lazy and stopped precisely measuring the ingredients/temperature and cooking time, and it started resembling a very miserable pancake.

I think you have to be very precise with the ingredients and give it a damn good thrashing with your electric whisk (15 minutes or so). Also, substituting half of the usual fluid content for beer gives it a bit of extra oomph. And, of course, the oil/dripping in your baking tin must be at smoking levels of sizzability- when you're pouring the batter into the tin, keep the tin over a hot ring. It's vital to give it the full cooking time without opening the oven door, too. But I still think it's mostly luck, unfortunately.

Can't really think of any great tips that aren't obvious. One for the women, though- if you use John Frieda hair-frizz serum, then try applying it to your nails too, it really seems to strengthen them. Oh, and 50mls of vinegar in the rinsing water when you're washing your hair will leave it extra shiny. And putting your used teabags in the fridge makes them great treatments for tired eyes, minor burns or blisters.

I think I've exhausted my scant store of domestic knowledge. *wipes brow*

Diplomacy is the art of letting other people have your way
Find all posts by this user
25-11-2004, 12:02 AM
Top Tips thread.
When you're finished with a box of chocolates*, dont throw out the tray! Fill the indents with water and pop it in the freezer - voila! novelty ice cubes. You're dinner parties will be widely renowned!

*for best results, use "Guylian" choclates

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
25-11-2004, 04:32 PM
Top Tips thread.
Some driving tips:

when you drive across speed bumps it's better to accelerate as you come up to them, rather than brake.

if you're driving down a narrow country road and you're having trouble keeping to your side of the road, fix your eyes on the centre of your side of the road and the car will automatically set itself in the right position.

on a winding road, to get an idea whether to brake, accelerate or keep at the same speed, watch the point in the distance where the two sides of the road meet - if it moves towards you, brake, if it moves away, accelerate, if it stays at a fixed distance, keep at the same speed.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
25-11-2004, 09:06 PM
Top Tips thread.
survivorfan Wrote:Some driving tips:

when you drive across speed bumps it's better to accelerate as you come up to them, rather than brake.

if you're driving down a narrow country road and you're having trouble keeping to your side of the road, fix your eyes on the centre of your side of the road and the car will automatically set itself in the right position.

on a winding road, to get an idea whether to brake, accelerate or keep at the same speed, watch the point in the distance where the two sides of the road meet - if it moves towards you, brake, if it moves away, accelerate, if it stays at a fixed distance, keep at the same speed.

Bloody hell? How do you remember this as you are driving along.... all I can think of...

- baby seat full, drop baby off
- bayy seat empty - baby gone

The mind is a blank!!! You are a wonder to modern road technology :excl:
25-11-2004, 09:48 PM
Top Tips thread.
Peej Wrote:When you're finished with a box of chocolates*, dont throw out the tray! Fill the indents with water and pop it in the freezer - voila! novelty ice cubes. You're dinner parties will be widely renowned!

*for best results, use "Guylian" choclates

Peej! Who knew that you were such a domestic God? :cool2:
25-11-2004, 10:00 PM
Top Tips thread.
Well, Voice, one has to learn these things when one has been left in charge of the house for a few weeks!

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
26-11-2004, 11:30 AM
Top Tips thread.
Can anyone help me out with a top tip ?

I bought a couple of T-shirts and a pair of jeans for my nephew for his Xmas pressie. I got the T-shirts buy one, get one free - and there was a HUGE label on one shirt saying this. Of course i wanted to remove it, so i carefully peeled away the sticker - but it left a line of sticky backing which i cant remove. Ive picked and scraped at it, but im worried that i will wreck the T-shirt if i keep going.

So how do i remove this sticky stuff ????

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The 2007 Gardening Thread Dolores 22 4,194 19-04-2010 06:20 AM
Last Post: Groucho
  The official "Hot" Thread. The Curmudgeon 14 13,417 21-10-2008 10:24 PM
Last Post: The Curmudgeon
  Best ever thread titles floopy 3 1,103 29-05-2008 09:18 PM
Last Post: Fee For All
  The "I'm Still Alive" Thread Rob 26 3,608 26-01-2008 06:58 PM
Last Post: Gneiss
  It don't need it's own thread.... Coastie 181 7,314 06-10-2007 05:45 PM
Last Post: Coastie
  The "how drunk will Groucho get tonight" thread ... Dolores 49 3,871 05-10-2007 05:34 PM
Last Post: Rob
  The SAVE BLUEY thread Slipper 4 969 05-10-2007 01:38 PM
Last Post: Figaro
  The Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening Thread Critique 84 5,859 23-06-2007 05:54 AM
Last Post: msgirl
  a thread for us laydeeees... msgirl 20 2,121 19-06-2007 06:00 AM
  Thread to say anything you like to another poster! ils 1,866 52,233 16-06-2007 03:05 PM