Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Town or Country?
21-04-2005, 01:36 PM
Town or Country?

Are you a townie, who shudders at the thought of having to live somewhere green and pleasant where the shops shut early and buses run once a month?

Or are you a country bumpkin who likes nothing more than that sights, sounds and smells of the British countryside?

On paper, I love the idea of the country. The wild untamed expanses, the wildlife all around you, living the simple life in an ancient cottage with an Aga glowing gently in the kitchen...hmmm...:wub:...but if I ever actually have to visit the place I come down to earth with an ulmighty bump! :angry:

The shops are never open, the people are scary, the roof leaks and the Aga is a bloody nightmare to cook on!

So, as I think you can see, I am a city girl at heart. I love living in a place where you can get a pint of milk in the middle of the night if you want to. A place where public transport not only exists, but runs regularly, and the shops are open on a Sunday. And, best of all, none of your neighbours know your name. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2005, 01:45 PM
Town or Country?
I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere. The nearest Tesco is over 100 miles away and the teeny tiny Boots is shut on a Sunday. That said I don't mind it, and its meant I can afford my own house.

I do miss the ease of 'proper' towns though!

Mind you, if my family and friends lived here I could definately see myself staying for a long time. Childcare is inexpensive (£3.50 an hour) and the air is clean.

Gel x
21-04-2005, 01:48 PM
Town or Country?
Rothera Wrote:Are you a townie, who shudders at the thought of having to live somewhere green and pleasant where the shops shut early and buses run once a month?

Or are you a country bumpkin who likes nothing more than that sights, sounds and smells of the British countryside?

On paper, I love the idea of the country. The wild untamed expanses, the wildlife all around you, living the simple life in an ancient cottage with an Aga glowing gently in the kitchen...hmmm...:wub:...but if I ever actually have to visit the place I come down to earth with an ulmighty bump! :angry:

The shops are never open, the people are scary, the roof leaks and the Aga is a bloody nightmare to cook on!

So, as I think you can see, I am a city girl at heart. I love living in a place where you can get a pint of milk in the middle of the night if you want to. A place where public transport not only exists, but runs regularly, and the shops are open on a Sunday. And, best of all, none of your neighbours know your name. Wink

I've always lived in greater London, but we're shortly hoping to move to a tiny little village in the middle of some fields with three shops and bus that comes on tuesdays :laugh: .

I'm totally looking forward to it, real sheep, real poo, hoorah.

Bollox to potplants
21-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Town or Country?
Rothera Wrote:The shops are never open, the people are scary, the roof leaks and the Aga is a bloody nightmare to cook on!

It is soooooo like that round here:wink2:
Just kidding.
I live in the country, well North Norfolk and you can't get scarier people than round here.
But it isn't all bad. There are two shops near me that stay open until 10pm.
Buses do only run every hour but I walk alot into town.
The pace of life is a bit slower, we have the beach nearby, and I do love living where it is quiet at night.
Yet saying that Norwich is only 45 min drive away, so we have a kind of city nearby.

I actually wouldn't say I live in the true country, because we have so many facilites around here. But it is alot quieter than the city.
But I do like the community feel around here, actually alot to do with the church, but not everybody knows my name:w00t:

I remember when coming back from the meet in london and getting off the train at my local train station and was amazed at how quiet it was here after being in noisy London for a weekend. I don't think I could live with all that hustle and bustle everyday.

[Image: 429.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-04-2005, 01:58 PM
Town or Country?
floopy Wrote:I've always lived in greater London, but we're shortly hoping to move to a tiny little village in the middle of some fields with three shops and bus that comes on tuesdays :laugh: .

I'm totally looking forward to it, real sheep, real poo, hoorah.

Yes no lawn mower thieves no vandals

I will miss the constant wail of police sirens litter in the streets

Burnt out cars groups of youths standing on the street corner taking drugs

and the smell of petrol fumes

will i hell

[b][i]Life is not that long [Image: 36_1_12.gif]
[/b][/i]
21-04-2005, 02:40 PM
Town or Country?
I am a townie, I couldn't think of anything worse than living in the middle of nowhere.

I love where I am living now!

I think I am very lucky as I live on the South Coast around a mile from the sea in a smallish town that is reasonably quiet with the countryside only a few miles away. The nearest city is only 30 miles away by train, Gatwick 60 mins and London 90 mins. The town centre is a 10 minute drive and the buses run half hourly. There are 3 leisure centres, plenty of pubs, a theatre, a cinema and a couple of nightclubs ...

The high school/leisure centre/3 train stations/town centre are in walking distance of my house so the children can make their way to wherever they need to be, so have become very independant!

I wouldn't want to live in a city though, I have been there done that (Brighton & Hove City) and hated the hustle and bustle of it all, so I moved out aged 22.
21-04-2005, 02:56 PM
Town or Country?
Gelastic Wrote:I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere. The nearest Tesco is over 100 miles away

Crikey, does such a place exist!

It's fairly quiet where I am, but we have good amenities and the local shop stays open until 11pm. The countryside, such that it is, is only a few minutes away, but it's not really countryside as in a place you can go for a stroll - just miles and miles of boring fields.

Money no object, I'd probably stay in the same town or nearby and just move to a larger house with a better view.
21-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Town or Country?
Im a "townie", but here in Paignton, where you would think it was a town, its more "village" like, I am forever having to remember that the local shops shut at lunchtime :shocking: and there are still parts of town that have 1/2 day closing.......that is something I am not used to, my local shop in the Midlands was open from 6.00am to 11.00pm, and most of the Supermarkets were 24 hour......

The biggest bonus about living here in Torbay is that the Moors are a 20 minute drive away, and the beach is a 15/20 minute walk....... Big Grin With Plymouth and Exeter a short drive away if I feel the need for some serious shopping :devil:

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
[Image: isis.gif]
21-04-2005, 03:18 PM
Town or Country?
Nox Wrote:Crikey, does such a place exist!.

Only til next year, then hello Texco goodbye expensive food shopping Big Grin

I also miss junk food, I know it's bad for me but the nearest McDonalds, Burger King and Pizza hut are all next to the nearest Tesco Sad

Gel x
21-04-2005, 03:28 PM
Town or Country?
I'm a City girl born and bred, and I loved it when I was a single girl. I loved the cosmopolitan atmosphere, the bars, restaurants, theatres. I loved the fact that I could always get a loaf of bread from somewhere at 2:00am if I ever needed it, and finally, I loved that if I managed to miss the last tube home, I could catch a cab from the centre of London for about a tenner!

What I didn't like was the cost of accomodation, the abundance of nutters and the fact that that 2:00am loaf of bread cost 3 times as much as in Tesco. And for all its advantages, there came a point when I just longed for a quieter life!

That said, I couldn't live in the country! I did once - for a year - and I felt like I was dying slowly. I liked the beauty of the countryside, but I bluddy hated the fact that my car was almost permanently muddy and that at certain times of the year the garden permanently stank of horse cr@p.

I liked the fact that the roads were quiet (mostly), but I hated the fact that when you did see another car on the lane, it was either a tractor or a lunatic driving way too fast in a monster 4x4.

I liked the peace and quiet on a sunny afternoon, but I frankly felt spooked by the fact that when I looked out the window at night I saw........black. Nothing. No lights. No neighbours. No sign of life. It made me feel very alone.

And don't start me on the inconvenience of a local shop which shuts at 5:00pm........

I didn't feel any sense of community. In fact, unless I travelled into the proper town (6 miles away) I barely saw another person! Some people like that, but I found it incredibly lonely.

Countryside? Its a nice idea, but meant for someone altogether tougher and earthier than a soft Southern City lass like myself. I'm used to people around me. What use is nearest neighbour who is 5 miles away? Where's the community in that?

I now live somewhere between the two. A small town with all the amenities I could want and neighbours who are friendly without being obtrusive. I have easy access to the City, and the countryside - with its great walks on Banstead Downs and its lovely pubs - is only a 5 minute drive away. I think I'll stay somewhere like this and move only to a larger house.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Images from your home town Coastie 86 4,578 13-09-2005 05:49 PM
Last Post: msgirl