Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trading standards
12-12-2006, 01:54 PM
Trading standards

Just wondered if anyone has got any idea on this one.

I was in Woolworths today and picked up a DVD with a price sticker of £2.97, when I got to the check out it rang up as £16.99. Apparently they'd made an error. I said I thought I was entitled to buy it at the price shown. The manager said that he had 24 hours to remove it from shelves and that he didn't have to sell it to me at that price.

So, any one got any thoughts?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Trading standards
So far as I know, if the shop has made a genuine mistake they don't have to sell it at the price displayed.

Mick Smile
No fear, no hate, no pain, no broken hearts

For topical debate and vitriolic mudslinging DON'T visit: http://www.greatworlddebate.com cos it's a dead link.

INSTEAD visit http://greatworlddebate.net/gwdsmf/index.php
Find all posts by this user
12-12-2006, 02:37 PM
Trading standards
I dont know what the correct policy is, but i know i did something similar in a clothes shop.

I bought Mr.B a fleece thingie, and it was on the sale rack. I think the price was £12, so i went to the till to buy it. I was told it shouldnt of been on the sale rack in the first place - and the real cost was £25. BUT because it was an error on their part, they honoured the sale price.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
12-12-2006, 02:43 PM
Trading standards
I think the shop is in the right, thing is (not that I am suggesting you did this, Max) stickers can be misplaced by customers and I am sure that there are a few who try this stunt.

Like Bonny we had a similar experience when we recently bought our new carpet - the price showed £9.99 spq mtr or how ever it is priced and we ordered it but when they guy keyed it all in the total cost was more expensive. It so happened that that was the sale price and it ended the day before and it was now back to the normal price of £28 per sq mtr but as the cheaper price was the one that was displayed, we got it for that price and to be honest I doubt very much that they sell many carpets at £28 per sq mtr, carpets are all such a rip-off anyway and they are always having sales, so we probably got the true price anyway!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
12-12-2006, 05:09 PM
Trading standards
When I'm working and theres the wrong price, we have to sell it at the displayed price. Regardless of what it is. Not sure if this is a legal policy, or a customer service policy though.

And we are alwasy convinced that customers are rearranging stickers, although we can't prove it. :wallbash:

You're not born lazy, it's an acquired skill

[Image: pot004.gif] [Image: egg03064.gif][Image: 90725.gif][Image: 79735.gif]
12-12-2006, 05:17 PM
Trading standards
There were several of the same DVD for sale and they were all marked £2.97.

I can't believe the true price was £16.99 as the film was 'Robin Hood Men in tights' a really old film and that's more than the newest releases.
12-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Trading standards
Legally the shop is correct - the price is an offer to treat - and they are under no obligation to sell it to you at that price - although most will as a gesture of goodwill!

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
12-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Trading standards
maxine Wrote:There were several of the same DVD for sale and they were all marked £2.97.

I can't believe the true price was £16.99 as the film was 'Robin Hood Men in tights' a really old film and that's more than the newest releases.

Well, now you say that Max it sounds as if that shop were at fault. I wouldn't even pay £16.99 for any of the top releases as you can get them on-line for cheaper.

Why don't you contact Woolworths Head Office,...............though have to ask............Robin Hood Men in Tights.........why?? :ninja:

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
12-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Trading standards
I used to work at customer services at Tesco. Some people came in and bought some suitcases. They were charged different than the price on the shelf at the till. I had to refund them the money and they got the suitcases worth £120.00 free. My manager said that a shop can be fined thousands of pounds for pricing wrong, so they would rather take a loss of a hundred or so than a few thousand. Tescos were really hot on this. This was about 5 years ago though, so whether it has changed, I don't know.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
12-12-2006, 05:56 PM
Trading standards
Rob Wrote:Legally the shop is correct - the price is an offer to treat - and they are under no obligation to sell it to you at that price - although most will as a gesture of goodwill!

This is what I always thought, as regards the law. It's true, though, that most shops will let you have it at that price as a good will gesture if it is a genuine mistake on their part. They couldn't suspect price label swapping if they had others wrongly marked. I'd go with what Bella said and contact their head office - they'll probably give it to you for nothing or give you a voucher at least.