Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trading standards
12-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Trading standards

tigger Wrote:I used to work at customer services at Tesco. Some people came in and bought some suitcases. They were charged different than the price on the shelf at the till. I had to refund them the money and they got the suitcases worth £120.00 free. My manager said that a shop can be fined thousands of pounds for pricing wrong, so they would rather take a loss of a hundred or so than a few thousand. Tescos were really hot on this. This was about 5 years ago though, so whether it has changed, I don't know.

Hehe quoted myself as I wanted to say I believe that Rob is most probably right as most Tescos managers don't know what they are talking about anyway. Big Grin

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Trading standards
Bella Wrote:Why don't you contact Woolworths Head Office,...............though have to ask............Robin Hood Men in Tights.........why?? :ninja:
Bella it's bloody hilarious! "A chastity belt! That's going to chafe my willy!"

As everyone else has said max, it sounds like the shop is at fault but there ain't a lot you can do about it. A similar thing happened to me a while back with a CD and I wasn't allowed it for the 'sale' price that they were displaying. They more or less accused me of taking the sale sticker off another CD and puting it on the one I wanted. As if I would do a thing like that I mean AS IF...

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
12-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Trading standards
Tesco still have a refund and retain policy. On the Money Matters website there is a thread devoted to this where people have been getting loads of stuff free and getting their money back.

I did it myself a few weeks ago when some pasties were wrongly priced. There have been some cases of customers getting free X boxes and games because of mispricing.

Evidently one of the most common misprices is on fresh meat when the shelf label says one thing and the pack says another. Some customer services may try and offer the difference in price but if you hold out and ask for the manager they should followthe R&R policy.

I now check my receipts carefully as there are obviously many cases of mispricing and for every one that Tesco have to refund on there must be hundreds not picked up.

I am surprised that Woolworth didn't at least let you have it for the displayed price as it was brought to their attention and saved them from more dissatisfied customers.
Find all posts by this user
13-12-2006, 10:54 AM
Trading standards
The law on this is:

Q. I saw goods marked at a price in a shop but when I took them to the till to pay the shop refused to sell them to me saying they had the wrong price on. Can they do this?

When a mistake like this happens, the trader is not obliged to sell you the goods at the lower price. He is entitled to withdraw the goods from sale until the problem is rectified. You cannot insist on buying the goods at the lower price. However, if the trader tries to charge you more for the goods than the advertised lower price, then a misleading price indication could be given, which is a criminal offence.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
13-12-2006, 06:10 PM
Trading standards
Thanks SF. If I'd been asked to pay full price I would've had a case but as it was, he refused to sell it to me at either price. Settled.

Thanks for all the replies guys.
13-12-2006, 07:54 PM
Trading standards
It happened to me in reverse. I decided to buy watches for the older boys so I bought 3 Sports watches in Peacocks, priced at £8 each. When I took them to the till I was charged £12 for all three. When I checked the receipt it said "special promo price - £4". There was absolutely no indication anywhere in the shop that they were reduced.

I should have been pleased but now I feel a bit of a cheapskate :laugh: I felt like taking them back and saying "No, I have to spend more than that" (because I spent more on the girls) :bag:
13-12-2006, 08:30 PM
Trading standards
Guess what happened to me today! Was in HMV just for a look around and there were a pile of DVD's all stickered with £5, so I got Oliver and Corpse Bride but when I got to the checkout I was asked for £14.99. I said to the girl that they were both £5, she spoke to her manager and said that it had a £5 sticker but on the back it had £9.99. He said immediately to sell it for £5 as it was their mistake - to be honest I think the barcode was wrong as it looked as if all the other DVD's in the pile were marked the same.

If you have time Max, and wanted to cause a fuss you should contact the Head Office or go back in tomorrow and see what they are charging for it. Or you could check this link out:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Robin-Hood-Tight...UTF8&s=dvd

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT