Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tree Hugging
08-01-2005, 04:38 PM
Tree Hugging

Out of curiousity here, but has anyone tried this? Does anyone understand what it is all about?

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2005, 04:44 PM
Tree Hugging
Only when drunk and in dire need of support! :unsure:

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~
Find all posts by this user
08-01-2005, 04:53 PM
Tree Hugging
Actually, yes. I have hugged a tree. Not for environtmental reasons though - it was pure capitalism!

A coupleof years ago, we were in Dubai visiting my sister and Brother-in-law and were out one night with them, and a couple of their friends. We were going on hols to Sri Lanka a couple of months later and their friends has been there before, so we asked them about the place.

They told us that the Botanical Gardens in Kandi were wonderful and that they had trees that were so tactile that "you just want to hug them"! (they were a weird couple).

We all laughed at the comment and during our p!ss-take, Simon (my brother-in-law), said "if you manage to get the entire coach to hug a tree in the Botanical Gardens, I will fly you out to Dubai, Business Class, for your next holiday". Mal and Simon shook on the deal. Rash words.....

When we got to Sri Lanka, we made it our business to make friends with the entire coach and told them of Simon's promise. On the last day, we took a picture of the coach party hugging a random tree (me included). OK - it wasn't in the Botanical Gardens, but it WAS a tree in Sri Lanka. We posted it to Simon.

The following January we flew out to Dubia business class. :laugh:

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
08-01-2005, 05:12 PM
Tree Hugging
Dolores makes a mental note never to make a bet with Merlot! .... or Flip's scab eating husband!!!

Is there any challenge these two men wont take on!!!

They deserve their own tv programme! :laugh:

As for "tree hugging" - it's a bit of a derogatory term for anyone that gives a tuppence toss for the environment. I think we need more tree huggers in this world!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
08-01-2005, 07:46 PM
Tree Hugging
LMAO Karenh...that was a cool bet! Smile

Yep, tree-huggers is a derog term for environmentalists etc and possibly hippies!

I reckon itsa good thang, not maybe actually embracing trees, but going somewhere and feeling at one with the natural world, I mean, would be difficult to hug a mountain or ocean, but you can experience a feeling of awe and peace if you sit quietly somewhere out in the wilds and take in the beauty of your surroundings.

M

Intergalactic Space Cat

[Image: wildchild.jpg]
Home of Jimi, the Wild Child.
08-01-2005, 10:11 PM
Tree Hugging
Marmoset Wrote:but going somewhere and feeling at one with the natural world, you can experience a feeling of awe and peace if you sit quietly somewhere out in the wilds and take in the beauty of your surroundings.

M

Yep totally agree Marmy, been there - got the t-shirt.
The world can be a wonderful place.
08-01-2005, 10:16 PM
Tree Hugging
I agree, I think you can really feel at one with nature. And I can really understand tree hugging (although most people consider this madness in myself :laugh: ), but I can understand how people say that you can feel the tree knowing it's own existence. I guess unless you understand it, it does sound bizarre. I've never tried it, but I really want to.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
14-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Tree Hugging
well I havent actually hugged a tree, but i get called a "gawddang hippie tree hugger" by Lewie my step son on a regular basis Blush which is a result of my "politics and thinking" i think, im always telling them to love everyone, to treat others how you would like to be treated and to be tolerant and open minded and of course there are my "green issues"and how we should look after the planet.............

i love nothing more that a good walk through the woods from Churston to Brixham which is coastal too - its perfect!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
[Image: isis.gif]
14-01-2005, 09:10 PM
Tree Hugging
Karen I love that story!!! :cool2:

I haven't hugged a tree but I have spat on one, punched one and talked to one and cried about another.
  • I spat on a little Oak tree, cos it was dry and needed water and I was at the bottom of the garden, it was too far to get the watering can [lazy].
  • I was walking the dogs at Wallington [National Trust] and found what looked like a Giant Redwood tree - so tested this by punching its spongy bark - it was spongy but I still don't know whether it was a Giant Redwood.
  • I talked to the little Oak tree, that I spat on.
  • And then I cried when another little Oak tree that we had nurtured for about 3 years was pulled up and chewed [and consequently died] by Katy Pig. [it had been a christening pressie for tiddles]
I really ought to go and hug one.
17-01-2005, 08:36 AM
Tree Hugging
I've hugged lots of trees!

It was during my time as an outdoor ed instructor. Part of the course was to blind fold kids and have their partners take then to a tree. The child then had to hug the tree, feel the tree...almost become the tree. The partner would then lead them back to a central point and remove the blind fold. The kid who had hugged the tree then has to go and find the same tree by sight and feeling. It's quite good fun really. It aided several things....one was if you get lost in the dark you could feel your way back...another was trusting your partner......another was learning to appreciated the uniqueness of the environment around us and so leading to a bit of the 'CARE FOR IT!' factor. :blink:

Try it with your kids next time you're in the woods!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]