Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tubbs would be proud of me
14-07-2005, 11:13 AM

I just want to take this opportunity to promote shopping at a LOCAL SHOP for LOCAL PEOPLE.

More expensive? Maybe not - and that surprised me.

A while back we trawled the internet (Kelkoo, PriceRunner etc) to find the cheapest price for a particular electronic keyboard. Then, just out of curiosity, I phoned a LOCAL music shop, even though I assumed it would be dearer. Lo and behold! Not only did they tell me that the model I was after had been superseded with a more advanced one, but their price was considerably lower than the cheapest I had found on the internet. And there's more! He said if I ordered online I'd get a further 10% off. So I did.

Today I've been phoning around for tyre prices, and a LOCAL tyre fitter is cheaper than all the big tyre fitters - Kwik Fit, Just Tyres etc for the same brand of tyre.

So don't assume things are cheaper at the big chains - try a LOCAL SHOP. Hurrah!

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-07-2005, 01:56 PM
survivorfan Wrote:try a LOCAL SHOP. Hurrah!

Hurrah back at you!! Well said sf!!:thumbsup:

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-07-2005, 05:14 PM
On a similar note... I have been trying to get hold of a distributor cap for my Jag (I would remind everyone that it cost me £150 and I am categorically NOT posing!). Tried the local independants. Couldn't supply. Tried Halfords. They said £28. Then they said, oh no sorry, can't get that one. Can get an alternative for £38.

So I phoned the main dealer, just on the off-chance that they could do any better.

They can. £4.70! For an original Jag part, from a main dealer! Bonkers!

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
14-07-2005, 06:36 PM
survivorfan Wrote:I just want to take this opportunity to promote shopping at a LOCAL SHOP for LOCAL PEOPLE - try a LOCAL SHOP. Hurrah!

I assume you are referring to a character in League of Gentlemen ... I've never watched this programme but of course know of some of the characters as they have passed into everyday "culture".

I'm a great beleiver in buying local, fruit, veg etc from local businesses but also at the local electrical stores like Curry's etc as it all helps local economy, jobs etc and just keeping the shops available in the local high street.

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
14-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Two braeburns, two apricots and a peach............... £1.12. From the local greengrocer near where I work. And it's air conditioned. Old fashioned till. Service with a smile. Lovely.
14-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Patsy Wrote:Two braeburns, two apricots and a peach............... £1.12. From the local greengrocer near where I work. And it's air conditioned. Old fashioned till. Service with a smile. Lovely.

wrong thread love! shouldn't you be in "what I spent today?" Tongue

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
14-07-2005, 08:03 PM
I always buy my fruit and veg from a local green grocers because it's cheaper and better quality than the supermarket! :w00t:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
14-07-2005, 08:07 PM
I went into an old style chemist in the city recently and had to ask for some tampons. It was very funny. Normally, I go into boots, dont even think about it, automatic pick up the brand and strength I want and pay. This time, I had to say " I would like some tampons" then asked "what brand?" and then "what strength?":w00t: I really dont think I ever had that conversation before - maybe this should go into the "what risks have you taken" post!

:boxing: Angel small steps lead to great things
14-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Coastie Wrote:I always buy my fruit and veg from a local green grocers because it's cheaper and better quality than the supermarket! :w00t:

The Fruit Basket?! me too ... they are so pleasant in there and sometimes if I I haven't got the right money he lets me off a couple of pence!

14-07-2005, 08:53 PM
Dolores Wrote:The Fruit Basket?! me too ... they are so pleasant in there and sometimes if I I haven't got the right money he lets me off a couple of pence!

That's right Dol...they are fabby! Do a great selection as well and have alot more English grown stuff than the local super markets! I like to support our countries farmers me! :thumbsup:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Eurovision - Ireland must be proud Slipper 8 1,075 04-03-2008 12:48 PM
Last Post: Slipper
  Things that make blokes proud of themselves... Seabreeze 2 800 25-04-2007 09:31 AM
Last Post: survivorfan
  Proud Parents floopy 33 1,889 14-03-2006 05:24 PM
Last Post: PJ