Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyre Fitting / MOT's etc
13-10-2005, 08:26 AM
Tyre Fitting / MOT's etc

This thread is really for the ladies .... although the gents can join in to say im being silly if they like.

Does anyone else have a morbid fear about going into these type of establishments, the ones that fit exhausts / tyres etc .... ?

I have to go out this lunchtime to get two new back tyres, and im really nervous. I hate it when they talk to you like the 'little woman' and i always worry that they will try and diddle me as i dont know what im talking about. Will they sell me expensive tyres when cheaper ones would do on my mileage ?

I also need to get my MOT done, and i will have to take it myself. I always think they are going to turn around and say "ooooohhh, you need a new exhaust, new wipers and a new gasket (whatever one of those is), and i would nod and say, "well, if it needs doing, then you had better do it" whilst worrying sh*tless about the bill.

So am i alone in feeling like this, or do you strut straight into the garage and look like you know what your talking about ?

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2005, 08:29 AM
Tyre Fitting / MOT's etc
I have a pet mechanic Bonnie.....he's a mobile one so if I have a problem he comes to me! :mellow:

I would never step foot in the local Kwik-Fit as everyone I know who has every used it (and there are quite a few) have had to return on at least two occasions to get stuff fixed.

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
13-10-2005, 08:55 AM
Tyre Fitting / MOT's etc
You're just being silly! :ninja:

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
Find all posts by this user
13-10-2005, 09:02 AM
Tyre Fitting / MOT's etc
Groucho Wrote:You're just being silly! :ninja:

Bog off :devil:

13-10-2005, 09:15 AM
Tyre Fitting / MOT's etc
There must be loads of tractor mechanics round your way.....why dont you ask one of them to take a look........just speak very slowly. :wink2:

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
Find all posts by this user
13-10-2005, 09:24 AM
Tyre Fitting / MOT's etc
Years ago, my son used to work in one of the well known tyre and exhaust fitting centres and they were actively encouraged to sell stuff that wasn't really needed in order to meet the sales quota for the month, otherwise they wouldn't get their bonus.

When he was found out he got the sack. Obviously from a customer point of view I'm glad he was, but I think it's all wrong to have them work on a bonus scheme.

Fortunately, Mr C has done car mechanics in the past so he usually knows what needs doing to my car or asks the right questions etc. I would get the feeling they were ripping me off, like you Bonnie, so I let him do it all Blush

Can't you "borrow" a man (any man will do - lol) just to come with you? Introduce him as "my brother, the car mechanic" Smile
13-10-2005, 09:45 AM
Tyre Fitting / MOT's etc
It doesn't particularly worry me having to go to a garage, but I do know what you mean Bonnie.

With regard to the tyres the garage will probably try and sell you the most expensive ones, but in this instance I don't think it would be a rip off. If you are planning on keeping the car for a while, I'd actually advise buying the best tyres that you can afford because I've found that you really do get what you pay for. Basically, the better the tyre, the longer they last. Pricier tyres are also safer and can have an impact on your fuel economy. I've bought cheapo tyres in the past and really, they are a false economy unless you plan on getting rid of the car.

Also - this might sound obvious - but make sure that you buy the same type of tyre for each wheel, as its quite dangerous if the two back wheels (or the 2 front ones) have a different tread pattern - it can affect the efficiency of your braking.

I don't think the garage will try to sell you anything else though. In my experience, if you bring the car in to have two new tyres fitted, the garage will just fit the tyres without looking at the rest of the car (unless you ask them to).

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
13-10-2005, 09:56 AM
Tyre Fitting / MOT's etc
Critique Wrote:Can't you "borrow" a man (any man will do - lol) just to come with you? Introduce him as "my brother, the car mechanic" Smile

I'll see if i can drag one off the streets :wink_kiss

13-10-2005, 01:39 PM
Tyre Fitting / MOT's etc
Bonsai Wrote:I'll see if i can drag one off the streets :wink_kiss

Preferably one that looks a bit rough and ready and has the cander of a man that can take care of himself....then you can take him home afterwards! :laugh:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
13-10-2005, 01:44 PM
Tyre Fitting / MOT's etc
Coastie Wrote:then you can take him home afterwards! :laugh:

Coastie - im a married woman *feigns shock* Huh

Blummin good idea though :laugh:

I did go this lunchtime to get the tyres done, and they didnt have any my size - so i have to go back tomorrow. £150 to get them done ...... bummer :bored: