Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK - Where to go etc...
06-06-2006, 08:18 AM
UK - Where to go etc...

Inspired by two conversations with Americans enroute home...

Where would you recommend people visit when they come to the UK?

What should they try? (local cuisine etc...)

What top travel tip would you give a foreign visitor?

Where would you suggest Brits visit in their home land?

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2006, 12:37 PM
UK - Where to go etc...
Well, the list is obviously almost endless, but my first choice would be Cornwall. It's my favourite place in the whole wide world. Local fish, pasties, cream teas (if you like that sort of thing), beautiful countryside, rugged coastline, great beaches........ Need I go on?
Find all posts by this user
06-06-2006, 12:55 PM
UK - Where to go etc...
If they get homesick, they should go to any Highland Games or Scottish event - they're normally full of Americans :laugh:

I'd recommend the West Highland railway and a bit of island hopping. Oh and the best black pudding in the world comes from Stornaway.:good:

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
06-06-2006, 01:40 PM
UK - Where to go etc...
Like Patsy i think Cornwall cant be beaten. I love it there ... especially the cream teas.

I also love Devon. The gorgeous beaches, quaint shops - bliss.

But is depends what tourists want. If they come here looking for a walking holiday - i think Derbyshire is hard to beat.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
06-06-2006, 02:02 PM
UK - Where to go etc...
Ya see...my brother lives in Cornwall and I get to go there often and I have to admit I can't wait to leave...I get bored! Really I do...I can't sit on a beach for longer than 20 seconds before I grow weary of it and want to go and do something...I enjoy going for long walks but hate the fact there are so many darn hills...I don't do hill...and it is difficult to get away for a decent walk, because no one else ever really wants to, and I always have trouble finding a spot to leave the car! :wallbash: I'm not a fan of cream and I don't like fudge and well there are only so many pasties a slim girl like me should eat!

I prefer going to a city...I love to go to London and buy a travel card and then simply get lost in the city...I like to leap on and off buses and see where they take me!

I have gone a little off topic..I'm sorry!

I always tell foreign visitors to try our back bacon...unless it's against their religion! Also I say to them to have roast beef and yorkshire pudding...try marmite and a real ale...not together...obviously! :w00t:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
07-06-2006, 04:05 PM
UK - Where to go etc...
Coastie Wrote:Inspired by two conversations with Americans enroute home...

Where would you recommend people visit when they come to the UK?

What should they try? (local cuisine etc...)

What top travel tip would you give a foreign visitor?

Where would you suggest Brits visit in their home land?

Loch Ness in bonny Scotland.

they should try the Haggis.

don't go near the cows or you could get a shock.

Other Brits should visit South Wales for it's beauty. Hee

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct.
Benjamin Disraeli

[Image: ake.gif]
07-06-2006, 06:54 PM
UK - Where to go etc...
Ooo I love Wales...I have spent many a happy day camping up in Snowdon or down in the Black Mountains...fab!:good: :w00t:

08-06-2006, 09:14 AM
UK - Where to go etc...
Coastie Wrote:I prefer going to a city...I love to go to London and buy a travel card and then simply get lost in the city...I like to leap on and off buses and see where they take me!

I do love London to visit nowadays, because it's just up the road from me. But if you have to work/commute there, the novelty soon wears off, believe me! Not being able to walk in a straight line because of everyone coming towards you, not looking where they're going and not caring if they bump in to you and not apologising when they do......:ranting:

The Lake District is lovely. Smile
08-06-2006, 07:11 PM
UK - Where to go etc...
Ya see...I have yet to get to the Lake District but really must! :wallbash: I hear it is beautiful!

09-06-2006, 07:29 PM
UK - Where to go etc...
you really should go to the lakes Coastie! it is beautiful ... but I have to warn you there are one or two hills!

I would recommend the south coast for beaches and seaside attractions you really can't beat Southsea, Bournemouth or any part of the Dorset coastline, particularly Weymouth.

I also think there are some lovely beaches in Norfolk.

But for countryside you can't beat the Cotswolds, it's how Americans imagine the UK is.

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...