Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK household fuel bills
06-10-2005, 12:35 PM
UK household fuel bills

I have always had a DD going from my bank to pay for my gas and electicity bills, I use the same company for both, and the DD always just about covers me for the costs.

Now that the prices are going up, I thought I would leave it be and just pay up on the extra, I have however, been cutting down on usage to try to balance it all a bit better.

Yesterday I had a letter informing me that the power company were going to increase my DD payments, they would arrange it, I was to do nothing....but by a whopping 36% more???

Are they having a laugh or what? I can only just about afford what I am paying, and if they are doing this to everyone, well, no wonder pensioners are revolting about their bills! :cry:

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2005, 12:50 PM
UK household fuel bills
Eternity Wrote:Are they having a laugh or what? I can only just about afford what I am paying, and if they are doing this to everyone, well, no wonder pensioners are revolting about their bills! :cry:

Hmmmm, its not good is it. I would recommend you do a search on the internet and see if you can swop companies. There was a website advertised on TV this morning. You type in how much you pay for your elec / gas etc and they will see if anywhere else offers it cheaper.

I also read in the paper this morning that we might suffer heating cut out in the winter time as the gas companies cant cope !!

We only have electric, but that is going up rapidly. Our heating is oil heating, and due to the war the price of that has shot up. Add to this council tax rises and we are all severely out of pocket.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-10-2005, 03:16 PM
UK household fuel bills
Eternity Wrote:I have always had a DD going from my bank to pay for my gas and electicity bills, I use the same company for both, and the DD always just about covers me for the costs.

Now that the prices are going up, I thought I would leave it be and just pay up on the extra, I have however, been cutting down on usage to try to balance it all a bit better.

Yesterday I had a letter informing me that the power company were going to increase my DD payments, they would arrange it, I was to do nothing....but by a whopping 36% more???

Are they having a laugh or what? I can only just about afford what I am paying, and if they are doing this to everyone, well, no wonder pensioners are revolting about their bills! :cry:

Hello eternity,

The fuel companies in reality are out to rip domestic users off. This month my
gas payments have gone up around 40% but my electric payments have dropped.I fail to understand all this crap (oops) about world markets.

But beware of sudden changes, check the amount taken is exact and try to find out for yourself if any changes are permanent, temporary or for a certain time period. People with families and other essential outgoings don't want to be hit by mamoth increases.

We should all revolt.The pensioners are right.

:angry:
Maureen
Northern Angel :devil:
07-10-2005, 03:24 PM
UK household fuel bills
I think it can vary quite a bit from supplier to supplier. British Gas are supposed to be the most expensive. We use Seeboard and have a dual fuel discount. It also gives a discount to pay the billl on time and also if you reade your own meter for 3 out of the 4 quarters. I think you should shop around. I think its a right cheek the way they advertise that the prices are frozen til 2010, you have to pay for this priviledge!!
08-10-2005, 08:27 AM
UK household fuel bills
Bonsai Wrote:There was a website advertised .

That's uswitch

it's quite a good service

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
08-10-2005, 12:05 PM
UK household fuel bills
Well I recently received a £300 refund from my gas and electric suppliers and a note to say they will be reducing my direct debits by £20 a month......this at a time when I have two people move into the house who use more hot water and one of which will require the heating on this winter....DOH! :blink: I foresee an underpayment during the next quarter and confused suppliers!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
08-10-2005, 12:28 PM
UK household fuel bills
Coastie Wrote:Well I recently received a £300 refund from my gas and electric suppliers and a note to say they will be reducing my direct debits by £20 a month......this at a time when I have two people move into the house who use more hot water and one of which will require the heating on this winter....DOH! :blink: I foresee an underpayment during the next quarter and confused suppliers!

lol! my payments have been decreased to £2 per month and apparently they owe me £600+ .... ummm ... I keep telling them they don't but they wont listen! Had a meter reading yesterday and he changed all the details hopefully they will make the correct adjustments ... I await their response!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
08-10-2005, 12:47 PM
UK household fuel bills
Dolores Wrote:lol! my payments have been decreased to £2 per month and apparently they owe me £600+ .... ummm ... I keep telling them they don't but they wont listen! Had a meter reading yesterday and he changed all the details hopefully they will make the correct adjustments ... I await their response!

Flipping eck Dol...get onto them...inform them of the number of bottles of red wine that sort of money could buy!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
13-10-2005, 08:39 PM
UK household fuel bills
My mother- in- law has just had her monthly payments for her gas increased to £53 is this around the average ammount as I pay quarterly and have no idea. She was paying £32 last year and there was a bit of a shortfall so we upped it to £40 as she has a card and can pay what she likes over the ammount suggested.

She is 90 and has heating on all day so maybe it is reasonable and she gets £300 quid winter payment so she can afford it I just wondered how it compared to others.
13-10-2005, 08:58 PM
UK household fuel bills
Coastie & Dol - I dunno which energy company supplies your gas, but they sound rubbish at administrating the bills!

Our electricity company is the same. When we moved house 5 years ago, we got in touch with Seaboard to supply our electricy, but they never billed us for our usage! They would come round and read the meter, but for 5 years they never once sent us a bill!

We wrote to them twice and called them several times to tell them that we neded a bill! We didn't want to be surprised by a huge bill landing unexpectedly on doormat, but after 3 years of repeated requests for a bill, we gave up chasing them! :laugh:

They finally caught up with themselves a couple of months ago and decided to bill us. As you can imagine the bill was enormous, but they realised their mistake and accepted full responsibility for it. They agree that we could pay it of over a prolonged period of time at £50 a month, so its easily affordable. I'm just hoping they don't screw it up again.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.