Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vaccinations
28-06-2005, 06:13 PM
Vaccinations

Last Thursday I had some vaccinations for my upcomming trip - they were the usual NHS ones:
Typhoid
Tetanus
Dyptheria
Polio

Since then I've had a terrible headache and felt sick and nasty.
I'm ot sure whether I should have the other vacciantions that have been recommended.

The practice nurse recommended Rabies, Hepititus B and Cholera
The charity recommended Menengitus

I've pretty much decided against Rabies and Hep B - as I understand it the Rabies jabs just buy you another 24 hours in which to get more jabs if you are bitten. And Hep-B is passed in the same way as HIV - so I can avoid that.

I'm not sure about Cholera and Menengitus though and how risky it will be if I don't have the vaccinations.
Would anyone like to give me their 2p's worth on what they think I should do?

I've felt so bad since the last lot that I really don't fancy anymore - but if I have to I will.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-06-2005, 06:35 PM
Vaccinations
Minks - do you know how you stand with your insurance company if you decide not to get any vaccinations?? I would check with them first before you make any decisions.

If they say you are covered regardless and you don't fancy any more and the disease you may catch is not life threatening - don't bother.

But they may only cover your health insurance if you have taken all precautions!

But if it were me - I would just go get the whole lot.

I have had various vaccinations over the years and the worst was the Yellow Fever one - but it did last 10 years!! I didn't renew it though!!

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-06-2005, 02:46 PM
Vaccinations
Good point Flip - I didn't think I've that.
We've got a special insuration that includes evacuation and repatraition that was arranged by the charity - I'll get onto them about it, they'll be able to let me know about the medical side of it.

Thanks Flip!
29-06-2005, 03:12 PM
Vaccinations
Miks, your insurance will not cover you if you don't have the jabs. You would have to pay for your own treatment, repatriation etc if you haven't followed medical advice. The terrible headache thing has been doing rounds and I doubt it is anything to do with the jabs! :wink2:
29-06-2005, 09:28 PM
Vaccinations
Have them all done - we wouldn't want you to catch anything nasty.Big Grin

[INDENT]

[/INDENT]
29-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Vaccinations
Yeah, I'll second that!

Better safe than sorry. The odds of catching one of those diseases may be miniscule...but I wouldn't chance it.

A friend of mine had to be brought back from somewhere near Tibet in an air ambulance as a direct result of not having the recommended injections. She was backpacking all around India with her fiance (who they did not bring home!) and they had a tussle with the insurance over a bill of around £10,000. Eventually they paid up but my mate spebnt weeks in a UK hospital, and hasnt been the same since, nor will she ever be (she got acute hepatitis) which kind I cant remember but it wasnt sexually transmitted I know that.

Take the discomfort, and know that you will be safe.

M

Intergalactic Space Cat

[Image: wildchild.jpg]
Home of Jimi, the Wild Child.
29-06-2005, 10:23 PM
Vaccinations
Have them all Minks....the head ache is more likely a virus or dehydration it isn't likely to be the jabs!

I've had em all as have a few of my freinds and the only one that made any of us even remotely quesy was Yellow Fever but my mate doesn't like needles and was having a bad day anyway! :unsure:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
01-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Vaccinations
Advice taken - I'm booked in at the clinic for tomorrow.
01-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Vaccinations
Well done Mink- whilst you're there you can tell them about the headaches and see what they advise. But a couple of aspirin now could save you a lot of problems later.
01-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Vaccinations
Minklemar Wrote:Advice taken - I'm booked in at the clinic for tomorrow.

Good luck Mink :thumbsup:

I hope don't have any side effects this time!