Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visiting Edinburgh
06-10-2005, 09:36 AM
Visiting Edinburgh

We have been invited to a wedding in Edinburgh. I've never been to Scotland, let alone Edinburgh, so I need some advice please.

It looks like it's going to cost a small fortune, what with new outfits, present, flights and accomodation etc. We were planning on flying from Luton which I think for the 4 of us (2 adults and 2 kids) will cost something like £300.
Anyone know any good bed and breakfasts? We will be staying for a few days probably.

Haydon

[Image: pot001.gif]jobs kent
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Visiting Edinburgh
I'll leave it to the experts to offer advise on accomodation and stuff.
But I WILL say that Edinburgh is a lovely city..AND it's great craic.
It's great to explore outside the city too..so praps only a few days won't be enough.
:-)
AD

'Come away, oh human child, to the waters and the wild.With a fairy hand in hand...for the world is more full of weeping than you will understand.........'
Find all posts by this user
06-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Visiting Edinburgh
You need Bella. When we had the 'meet' in Edinburgh she directed us all to good B&B's. It was a wonderful visit, and a wonderful City.

If you get the chance to do any sightseeing, go to Camera Obscura. I adored it, and it was very reasonable for admitance. I tell everyone about it.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
06-10-2005, 09:59 AM
Visiting Edinburgh
we stayed in the Hotel British on Princes Street haydon at the scotland meet - it's extremely central and reasonably cheap and cheerful... ask for a room overlooking the castle... think its about £45 a night.... ask about family rooms..

dunno about b&b's - Bella would be your only man there :thumbsup:

great city - you'll have a blast.

bam bam
06-10-2005, 10:52 AM
Visiting Edinburgh
The Hotel British sounds good. Is B&B the way to go or should we hire a cottage? - presumably that's going to cost a bomb though.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure if we will get much time for sightseeing. There will be lots of introductions to Uncles and Aunts etc as I haven't met many of them before.
What is the "Camera Obscura"? - sounds like a photographers dream.
When it comes to the outfits I'm going to look the odd one out - everyone is going to be wearing kilts (in January!) - except this southern jessie!

Haydon

[Image: pot001.gif]jobs kent
06-10-2005, 10:56 AM
Visiting Edinburgh
The Camera Obscura gives an amazing live moving panorama of the city of Edinburgh. Spy on passers-by in the street below and pick them up in your hand. Free telescopes let you view amazing Rooftop Views.

There is a Magic Gallery where you can catch your shadow, shake hands with your ghost and discover a new you in the morphing machine. Amazing optical illusions with endless hands-on fun.

The Light Fantastic is a stunning hologram display and Edinburgh Vision is 3D cityscapes and live city viewcams you control.

Step inside our giant pinhole camera and laugh as your friends appear upside down.

P.s. - I was picked from the group to pick up handsome men off the street and slap them in a totally different place .... fabulous :laugh:

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
06-10-2005, 11:25 AM
Visiting Edinburgh
Oh, Haydon how nice! Which part of Edinburgh is the wedding in?

Camera Obscura is definitely a brilliant place to go and if you even have a small time to spare do this or if you want a total freebie The Chamber Street Museum is fantastic and just across the road is Greyfriars Kirk of Greyfriars Bobby fame.

When are you planning to come and if you let me where about, I can get some details for you. Smile

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
06-10-2005, 11:33 AM
Visiting Edinburgh
Haydon Wrote:We have been invited to a wedding in Edinburgh. I've never been to Scotland, let alone Edinburgh, so I need some advice please.

take your passport and a phrase book ... that's all the advice I can offer I'm afraid!

and be prepared to fall in love with the scenery.

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
06-10-2005, 11:48 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2005 11:50 AM by Bella.)
Visiting Edinburgh
Haydon - there are a few travel lodges, Express Hotels in Edinburgh that offer family rooms at really cheap rates!

You can get a family room for £70 a night in November.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
06-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Visiting Edinburgh
Haydon, I could request a house for you in Glasgow (very cheap)- courtesy of my brother. Not for the wedding day (too far to travel) but the next day or two. Talking from an ex Glasgow vs Edinburgh gal, Edinburgh is scenic but Glasgow has character!!!:boxing:

:boxing: Angel small steps lead to great things

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Anyone live near / visted Edinburgh? Figaro 3 699 28-10-2006 11:57 PM
Last Post: Figaro
  Mars - Edinburgh Festival Bella 8 734 10-08-2005 07:32 PM
Last Post: Marmoset