Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was Sophie Bling truly sacked?
28-12-2005, 02:07 AM

Hello survivors,

The newspapers recently have made quite a story out of the reported sacking of Sophie Bling. Which this week has not been the ones I usually read. As I have had limited time what with party entertainment in old peoples homes and taking round groups of children to sing carols in hospital wards.

Nevertheless, Sophie feels the need to seek legal advice. Well to all intensive purposes this will end with a verbal chat and probably a backhander. Pardon me for being sceptical. But, why do I feel this to be the case.

Firstly, the company a computer data firm, had left specific instructions with an agency who as a third party had made the original mistake. The instruction that was not met was that only non smokers were to be considered for there vacant post. The alternative issue here could be that maybe Sophie failed to inform the agency she was a smoker whether or not the question was asked.

Secondly, can we really assume that someone within the space of a five minute tour around the office was actually functioning in the job at that point of time. Hardly time enough to become aquainted with any proposed duties let alone colleagues.

Thirdly, I am dubious about whether she had been offered the post in the beginning, there are many occassions in my working life when I have been given a tour of a working environment after having an interview, and would say that maybe they were trying to ascertain whether the environment met my expectations and what likely feedback this would give the company as to my suitability for the post in question. I even remember sitting in a large open plan office full of smokers for one day, and at the end of the day, I made a point of saying that I would not be taking up the position to the section head.
This was an advertising company with a seriously unhealthy work environment.

The only other issue remaining is that whilst most firms now have an anti smoking policy, is to ask; is it fair to not employ smokers who smoke in there own private time? Sophie had informed her employer afterall, that she would respect the company work policy of not smoking; whilst at work, or engaged in work activities.

What do you think?

Has employment legislation gone to far in allowing positive and negative descrimination?

Maureen
Northern angel.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2005, 09:21 AM
Who the **** is Sophie Bling? :unsure:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-12-2005, 10:19 AM
Coastie Wrote:Who the **** is Sophie Bling? :unsure:

Exactly what I was thinking! So - who is she please?

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
28-12-2005, 10:36 AM
I think Northern angel is talking about Sophie Blinham - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/4553766.stm

From what I can gather the company website states they only employ non-smokers and the employment agency (who sent the woman along as a temp) knew that.
28-12-2005, 11:02 AM
In answer to the question 'was Sophie Bling truly sacked' surely the answer has to be 'no' because she wasn't an employee in the first place.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
28-12-2005, 11:35 AM
Right just read the article and well since I don't know her and I am a non-smoker myself I couldn't give a hoot either way and don't understand why the story is getting even this much coverage...obviously a slow news day!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
28-12-2005, 11:42 AM
Ah - I remember hearing about this on the radio - didn't remember the name - I agree with SF - she wasn't sacked as she hadn't started the job. If a company has a no smokers policy - then that's up to them - it's not illegal to discriminate against smokers.

The people who are in the wrong here are the agency who sent her - knowing what the company policy was.

Interesting point here - the radio phone in that I heard didn't mention that it was a temp job - or that she was just being shown round when she was asked if she smoked (I only found that out when I googled her name). They implied that she had actually started when she was "sacked".

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
28-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Petal Wrote:I think Northern angel is talking about Sophie Blinham - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/4553766.stm

From what I can gather the company website states they only employ non-smokers and the employment agency (who sent the woman along as a temp) knew that.

Hello Petal

Thanks for correcting the surname. I must have been tired, but find survivor online completely addictive and couldn't resist tapping in an article.

Maureen
Northern angel
28-12-2005, 01:23 PM
Coastie Wrote:Right just read the article and well since I don't know her and I am a non-smoker myself I couldn't give a hoot either way and don't understand why the story is getting even this much coverage...obviously a slow news day!

Hello Coastie,

You know your're probably right it must have been a slow news day, having said that it made front page news.

I'm also a non - smoker, so smoking isn't one of my vices. Just food sex and a little alcohol. So, do you have any smoking friends? I'm trying to consider what they would feel if sacked for being a smoker. As a non smoker, if I was sacked from a post for enjoying a drink - I'd be livid, or if I were descriminated against for being a drinker and not offered the post for that reason I'd also be annoyed.

In consideration of the importance of ones private life, should employers have a right to descriminate against you if you were a smoker in your private life, outside of the work place?

Is it justifiable criteria not to employ a smoker?

Maureen
Northern angel.

PS
Hope you enjoyed your Lamb.:wink2:
28-12-2005, 05:41 PM
If the employers have stated non-smokers only then that is their right...I don't see a problem with that....I work with a mix of smokers and non-smokers and the smokers have to go outside to feed their habit and are fine with that as am I, even though they still stink when they come in but hey, I'm not breathing their smoke in....

Also..in my experience....smokers nip out every hour or so to feed their habit making them less productive in the work place. I'm not allowed to nip out for a breath of fresh air every now and then for five-ten mins at a time as I would be deemed as skiving....this is another reason why employers prefer non-smokers.