Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wasps nest in the loft!
22-11-2004, 08:38 PM
Wasps nest in the loft!

Can you believe it? I went up the loft today to get my suitcases down and when I opened the loft door FOUR wasps flew out into my bedroom! Luckily I wasn't stung and managed to guide them out the window. Then I went up into the loft and saw another two flying around! I thought all wasps were dormant around this time of year.
Knowing there must've been a nest about I frantically searched around me with a torch for a nest (the light in the loft is broken) and there it was!
A stunning, intricate masterpiece, just a little bit bigger than a football. Nature at it's best - but of course it has to go.
But how?? Is there something I can spray on it cos I can't be arsed getting someone in to remove it - or is this the best idea?

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2004, 08:41 PM
Wasps nest in the loft!
Peej, GET SOMEONE IN!!!! Seriously you could be killed messing with it yourself as wasps invariably swarm when their nest is threatened.

It's my worst nightmare, we had one in a rabbit hole in our orchard two years ago and a guy from the council came and smoked them all to death, but he wore full gear to do it in and it took two visits. It cost us about £50 I think. Your local council should have a team that does this.
22-11-2004, 10:02 PM
Wasps nest in the loft!
If you get the Council in it probably won't be more than about £30 Peej, or if you're a student they'll probably do it for free. VOR is right, the wasps are highly dangerous and the stuff you need to use even more so!!
22-11-2004, 10:31 PM
Wasps nest in the loft!
Ok, I'll get someone in to do it.
My dad usually takes care of all this stuff but he and my mum are in Canada for a few weeks so Im house-sitting in the mean-time and would like to get rid of it before they get back.
Bloody wasps :glare:

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
22-11-2004, 10:34 PM
Wasps nest in the loft!
Peej, you have to ring Environmental Health Dept at your local Council Offices, where it will be dealt with by professionals. We had a wasps nest in our loft and it was stunning. I felt a right meanie getting rid :sad:
22-11-2004, 10:46 PM
Wasps nest in the loft!
Yeah Peej - as everyone else has said already, you need to get some pest controlpeople in. The council is the best place to start - they're cheaper than independent pest control agencies, but they take wasps nests seriously and should send someone round within the next few days. We had a wasps nest in our old place nd the council were round the next day to deal with it when we rang them.

But like Voice says though - definitely do NOT try and deal with it yourself. Wasps nests are dangerous at the best of times. It IS late in the season to still be getting problems with wasps though!

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
22-11-2004, 10:54 PM
Wasps nest in the loft!
Peej Wrote:managed to guide them out the window.

Are you stark staring bonkers man?????? Why guide them???? - you should have got the fly spray and killed the stinkin, evil, nasty, manic horrors.

But brave peej for going up again into the evil haven of the wasps!!!

You really have to follow everyone's advice get them sorted ASAP. I found one down a rabbit hole near a shack we have, me and Mr F poured white gloss paint down the hole [we had nothing else to hand] - played havoc with the wasps and they were very angry - but a bit shiny white to do anything about it!!
22-11-2004, 11:06 PM
Wasps nest in the loft!
Flip Wrote:Are you stark staring bonkers man?????? Why guide them???? - you should have got the fly spray and killed the stinkin, evil, nasty, manic horrors.

*nods fervently*

Hairspray works well. If you've been stung in the past, you may get more pleasure from flicking a lighter once you have them nicely saturated in ultra-hold hairspray.

Hee.

And it sounds like a job for the professionals.

Diplomacy is the art of letting other people have your way
Find all posts by this user
22-11-2004, 11:12 PM (This post was last modified: 22-11-2004 11:15 PM by Haydon_acc2.)
Wasps nest in the loft!
bustywench Wrote:Hairspray works well. If you've been stung in the past, you may get more pleasure from flicking a lighter once you have them nicely saturated in ultra-hold hairspray.
lol Reminds me of a scene from a film... can't remember the name of it though. Some bloke used a flame throwing to destroy a nest. Although thinking about it now, it could have been a spiders nest. God my memory is rubbish. :glare:

Welcome back bustywench - you've been gone far too long.

Haydon

[Image: pot001.gif]jobs kent
22-11-2004, 11:24 PM
Wasps nest in the loft!
Hey, thanks Haydon. Nice, clean setup here- all the forum bells and whistles, I like it. =)

That movie might have been Arachnophobia? Gave me nightmares. *shudder*

Diplomacy is the art of letting other people have your way
Find all posts by this user